VS-700 Drum Comprssion can any one offer a guide line to start with ?

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2011/06/08 20:53:06 (permalink)

VS-700 Drum Comprssion can any one offer a guide line to start with ?

Untill now I have always used my VS-700 with a Roland TD-20 and steven slate or Toontracks SD2.

So now I am learning from scratch the best way to work when recording drums.

Could some one please  tell me whats the best starting point to have the compressors in the VS-700 when recording Kick Snare Hi hat toms and over heads ?

What would be a good place to start and if you don't mind sharing your settings for me to try that is ? Perhaps a Screen Shot if you have one ?

Or do you not use compressors on the drums before the mixing stage ? I have heard a lot of people don't and until now nether have I

I hope you dont mind shareing your tips and tricks with me

I would really appreciate it

I just want to become better all the time and keep learning

Thanks to all in advance

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

4 Replies Related Threads

JoshWolfer
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:VS-700 Drum Comprssion can any one offer a guide line to start with ? 2011/06/20 03:10:27 (permalink)
    The compressors are post ADC so I'd personally just use compression within Sonar.

Cheers,

Josh Wolfer - Big Dumb Monkey Productions - www.bigdumbmonkey.com (Twitter @bigdumbmonkeyp)
    Sonar 8.5.3 / X1b :: 2.8 Ghz core i7 :: 8GB ram :: V-Studio 700 C+R :: Maudio Profire 2626 (ADAT lightpipe into Vstudio)

Sacalait
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re:VS-700 Drum Comprssion can any one offer a guide line to start with ? 2011/06/20 11:01:21 (permalink)
    compressing drums is pretty wide open.  However, if you want to retain the initial pop of the drum head, use a slower attack.  The reason is this- if the compressor is set to a very fast attack, it will not allow that transient to go through.  Later in the mix you'll find the signal is 'loud' enough but you just can't get the snare drum to 'come out' in the mix as you'd like.  Of course there may be a reason to compress the transients but if you want the drums to sound 'natural' use slower attacks.

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
    Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
    trallala
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:VS-700 Drum Comprssion can any one offer a guide line to start with ? 2011/06/20 17:59:28 (permalink)
    I record without compression if possible.

A great trick in the mix: Keep the original (uncompressed) drums on one bus. Route this bus to a second bus and squeese the hell out of it.  Then blend it the way you like.  A greate way to preserve the dynamics, and get the punch at the same time.  

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Software:Sonar X2 Producer (64bit), Win10 (64bit)
    Hardware: VS-700C , UAD Quad, Konnekt24D 
    PC: Intel Core i7 930, X58-chipset, 6GB DDR3 RAM

http://www.lidlyd.no/
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:VS-700 Drum Comprssion can any one offer a guide line to start with ? 2011/06/20 21:06:59 (permalink)
    Yeah +1 to the above comments.

Norrie I have recently been tracking drums with two overhead pencils and a ribbon mic in the middle of the drum kit in front and away at a distance determined by the sound of the room. It has changed the way I do drums now as the overall balance (using good mics and pres) is excellent and there is enough sizzle along with detail. Really happy with the results.

As for the compression, no longer do I track with compression although it can be handy depending on the compressor and the conditions/drummer. The RNC is quite good for the dollar but even it sits idle at the tracking stage most times now.

Cheers!

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1