VSL libraries question

Author
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
2018/01/30 21:35:38 (permalink)

VSL libraries question

Hi folks,

I've never ventured into the VSL ecosystem, but I'd figured it was time to try out the Vienna Symphonic stuff, as they have been recommended to me as great all-around libraries - and after buying the Cubase Pro crossgrade, I now have an e-licenser.

In particular, I'm considering upgrading my solo woodwinds. Has anyone used any of the VSL solo oboe libraries (French Oboe, Viennese Oboe, Oboe D'Amore)?

Curious to know what users think of them, and what would folks recommend as the best for solo melodic work? I get the impression, based on the demos and write-up, that the French Oboe is probably what I'm looking for, but I'm curious to hear feedback from anyone who has them.

Thanks,

Rob

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU

3 Replies Related Threads

Kuusniemi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 490
    Re: VSL libraries question 2018/01/30 22:06:10 (permalink)
    For solo work VSL winds are among the best. They have loads of articulations and the legatos are excellent. EAch one has a different sound so get the one you find best. With VSL you should also invest into Vienna Instruments Pro, it gives you so much more control over the instruments. Also a good reverb is a must with VSL since the instruments are practically dry.

Composer & Sound Designer at Really Slow Motion, Man Makes Noise,  Epic North,  YleX and Yle Puhe.
    Amicus717
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re: VSL libraries question 2018/01/31 03:58:50 (permalink)
    Thanks!

I'm probably going to buy the French Oboe, I think. The enhanced version. Is it worth the price difference over the standard version...?

I have Exponential Audio's Nimbus reverb, which I really like and is my main 'verb. I also have a boatload of additional ones, including every Waves reverb, Valhalla Shimmer, the NI's RC24 and RC48 verbs, all the TRacks ones, Breverb, etc. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
    Kuusniemi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 490
    Re: VSL libraries question 2018/01/31 09:22:29 (permalink)
    Amicus717
    Thanks!

I'm probably going to buy the French Oboe, I think. The enhanced version. Is it worth the price difference over the standard version...?

It depends entirely on what you write. The extended libraries have more specific articulations included, but what most stands out to my eye is that the extended library has the fast legato. 
    https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Woodwinds_I/French_Oboe#!Sample_Content

Composer & Sound Designer at Really Slow Motion, Man Makes Noise,  Epic North,  YleX and Yle Puhe.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1