VST Adapter doesn't work

Author
Rigel Russell
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
2005/08/03 00:47:16 (permalink)

VST Adapter doesn't work

My friend is using HS-2 and I'm tring to help get her set up on her new pc. It's an Emachines 3000+/512/etc, with Echo Mia and Edirol USB midi. The VST Adapter runs and seems to scan VST's, but doesn't park on the Configuration window. It just scans then disappears - and no VSTs show in the program. We've tried uninstalling and re-installing HS (the VST Adapter is not a separate install), along with the HS-2 and VST Adapter 4.4.2 patches. Not sure what to do here. She's willing to purchase a plug-in like Ozone, to help her get a polished-sounding 2-trk, but I'd really like to see her be able to use some of the free VST plugs too. The VST Adapter scan works on her old pc. Any help is welcome.

Thanks.
Rigel
post edited by Rigel Russell - 2005/08/03 00:57:34

11 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/03 01:46:17 (permalink)
    Re-install the whole program? Watch carefully what it asks.......................JDW
    Rigel Russell
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/03 06:06:46 (permalink)
    Thanks JDW.

Yes, I reinstalled the whole program twice, and watched what it asked. The VST Adapter IS THERE, but it doesn't work 100%. I can see it in the start menu, and run it, and it cues me for the VST directory (where you can add/remove/etc), then it scans that directory, and I can see it scroll through the VST plugs that it's looking through, and I even get the pop-up message from a couple of them like LFX 1310 (A multi-effect plug) that asks you to check for updates. But, after it's done scanning, it disappears - it doesn't proceed to the Configuration screen, where you're normally able to disable individual plugs, etc.

I guess I'm repeating myself now, so is there something specific that I can look for during the reinstall?

What I suspect is that the installer is ignoring some file that's needed to make things tick (kind of like the current S4 installer issue). Perhaps there's a manual file and/or registry cleanup I can do prior to reinstall?

Regards,
    Rigel
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/03 07:49:36 (permalink)
    I assume the machine is running XP. Does the windows user account have adminstrator privileges? The VST adapter makes several changes to the registry and if these don't take the VST plugins won't be available. Another thing you can try is pressing the reset button in the adapter scan dialog and then rescan all.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/03 08:06:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rigel Russell

Thanks JDW.

Yes, I reinstalled the whole program twice, and watched what it asked. The VST Adapter IS THERE, but it doesn't work 100%. I can see it in the start menu, and run it, and it cues me for the VST directory (where you can add/remove/etc), then it scans that directory, and I can see it scroll through the VST plugs that it's looking through, and I even get the pop-up message from a couple of them like LFX 1310 (A multi-effect plug) that asks you to check for updates. But, after it's done scanning, it disappears - it doesn't proceed to the Configuration screen, where you're normally able to disable individual plugs, etc.

I guess I'm repeating myself now, so is there something specific that I can look for during the reinstall?

What I suspect is that the installer is ignoring some file that's needed to make things tick (kind of like the current S4 installer issue). Perhaps there's a manual file and/or registry cleanup I can do prior to reinstall?

Regards,
    Rigel

To me, it sounds like the adapter is hitting one or two flaky plugins and is crashing. I have seen a re-boot on my own DAW under Win2K running SONAR 3.1.1 under such circumstances. Especially with a lot of freeware type stuff. What works for me is to go into the VSTi/VST directory, and rename all of my .dll files with the file suffix ".old", beginning immediately after any that you know were successfully scanned by the adapter -
    After a successful scan, bring in your plugs in manageable numbers by renaming them to the former ".dll" file suffix until you locate the problem plugin(s).

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/03 10:09:24 (permalink)
    I see this happen occasionally on rewrapping. I'm pretty sure checking 'rescan failed plugings' makes it complete the process the next time, but I'm not sure... I just know that I can always get it to complete after a couple or three times, playing with changing settings.

Rigel Russell
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/04 10:19:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've already tried Reset All, but not the renaming idea. So, I'll try that next time we're at her studio.

Rigel
    LettuceCheese
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/04 14:33:13 (permalink)
    I just had a similar type thing happen. I uninstalled - reinstalled Sonar multiple times. I uninstalled all of my plugs one by one - still no luck. I never figured it out. I wiped my hard drive clean, reinstalled everything, and now it works great. It took me about 4 hours though... If you do it, make sure you've got your backups and settings in order.
    lmiller1220
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/05 10:42:54 (permalink)
    Not to stray away from Cakewalk's VST Adapter, but has anyone used DirectXier instead?

http://www.tonewise.com/DirectiXer/

I'm considering it, as I have had the same exact troubles when using the VST Adapter. Any thoughts pro or con? Here's some reviews from KVR (scroll down a bit on the page):

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/274.html

Seems like it could be a good alternate way to handle the VST thing...
    I'm gonna load the demo tonite and try it out. If it works, I'll pay $49 to have my VST plugs load without problems in Sonar.

Thanks!
    LM
    Vindes
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/05 17:55:31 (permalink)
    I had the same VST Adapter problem myself, but it seemed to go away. Seems like I was running it with the correct plugins location listed, but not highlighted. Then it would just scan them all and exit without going to the configuration screen and nothing would be enabled. Highlighting the directory in the directory list, then re-scanning worked.

Personally I don't use the Cake VST Adapter at all. DirectiXer works much much better for me. For example, Hypersonic won't respond to patch changes over MIDI using the Cake wrapper, but works great with DirectiXer. Sylus RMX auditions grooves (listening when transport is not in "play") with ugly sounding seams and pauses at the end of them with Cake VST but perfectly with DirectiXer. Definitely worth the $49 for me.
    lmiller1220
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/06 16:46:16 (permalink)
    Rigel/all- Just demo'd (and then bought) DirectiXer-- it does indeed work great, and I wholeheartedly agree that it is WELL worth the $49! Thanks!

LM
    Rigel Russell
    RE: VST Adapter doesn't work 2005/08/16 06:51:58 (permalink)
    All,

The rename idea worked! I just renamed the entire VST plugin folder, and created an empty folder and named it the original VST folder name. Then, I copied in just one set of VST plugs (Kjerhaus), and it worked - after scanning, it parked on the Configuration screen as expected.

Thanks all.

Rigel
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1