VST Adapter not adapting...

Author
thelord
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2005/10/10 23:52:29 (permalink)

VST Adapter not adapting...

I'm sure many Cakewalk users have a deep hatred of VST Adapter and wish Cakewalk offered native VST support.
But they don't yet.
Are other people having problems (ie. not working at all) with plugs like LiveCut, SupaTrigga, dblue Glitch, etc?
I'm trying to do some wacky ping-ponging drum effects (think techno remixes) and none of these plugs are functioning.
I assume there is a way to do this sort of thing in Velocity? Or Cyclone?
Honestly I haven't even been able to try Cyclone because I haven't taken the time to figure it out.
Do most of you P5ers use Velocity as your go-to for drums?

(PS. Is PSYN a VSTi or DXi? It actually loads in VSTi apps like Ableton Live, but it behaves funny.)
(PPS. Sorry for all the questions.)

4 Replies Related Threads

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: VST Adapter not adapting... 2005/10/11 02:08:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thelord

I'm sure many Cakewalk users have a deep hatred of VST Adapter and wish Cakewalk offered native VST support.
    But they don't yet.

I don't. There are advantages to this way of doing things. The native support in Sonar 5 is still adapter based, even if it is more transparent than previous.

Are other people having problems (ie. not working at all) with plugs like LiveCut, SupaTrigga, dblue Glitch, etc?
    I'm trying to do some wacky ping-ponging drum effects (think techno remixes) and none of these plugs are functioning.

Supatrigga won't work for whatever reason. LiveCut and Glitch both work perfectly for me. Ensure that you have 'Enable tempo sync' turned on in the adapter (after scanning the plugins when it shows the list of plugins, select Properties and then tick the appropriate box for each).

I assume there is a way to do this sort of thing in Velocity? Or Cyclone?
    Honestly I haven't even been able to try Cyclone because I haven't taken the time to figure it out.

To some extent, although it would be painstaking...still, most glitch producers would say this is the way it should be done and that plugins are 'cheating'.

Do most of you P5ers use Velocity as your go-to for drums?

No. But I tend to use synth drums most of the time...hence Microtonic gets given most of my drum based duties.

(PS. Is PSYN a VSTi or DXi? It actually loads in VSTi apps like Ableton Live, but it behaves funny.)
    (PPS. Sorry for all the questions.)

It's a DXi and I am surprised that it would load at all in Live, considering that Live doesn't support DX in any way, shape or form.
    thelord
    RE: VST Adapter not adapting... 2005/10/11 07:48:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for that reply xylyx.
    If you have a VSTi host, try copying the PSYN DLL from the Cakewalk directory to your VstPlugins directory and see if it will load in the other host. It does for me.
    Also, I know dblue Glitch, LiveCut, etc. are cheating but I'm a bit too much of a beginner in glitch to start programming right off the bat. I'll get there one day hopefully. Have you ever programmed these kind of drums in Velocity?
    post edited by thelord - 2005/10/11 07:57:06
    thelord
    RE: VST Adapter not adapting... 2005/10/12 23:32:16 (permalink)
    BTW, your "enable tempo sync" fix worked perfectly. Cheers!
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: VST Adapter not adapting... 2005/10/13 17:23:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thelord

Also, I know dblue Glitch, LiveCut, etc. are cheating but I'm a bit too much of a beginner in glitch to start programming right off the bat. I'll get there one day hopefully. Have you ever programmed these kind of drums in Velocity?

Well, I don't really see them as 'cheating' but I have read comments from people (on other forums) who think they are. I've never done any serious glitch programming myself...I lack the patience to program beats to such a micro level. It can be done with Velocity (and any decent drum sampler really), it's just a matter of finding the way to obtain the style you want...there are many ways of doing glitchy stuff (distortion/fx; lot's of automation; short release times on drum envelopes to give the clicky sound; short note lengths to enable you to retrigger samples quickly etc). I'm no expert and it is not easy to create glitch stuff that works musically rather than just as a masturbatory 'look what I can do with my shiny sequencer' type thing...I guess it comes down to trying to find a route that works for you (and your listeners).
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1