VST MFX "Wrapper" Project

Author
KevinK
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 863
2005/11/06 05:31:51 (permalink)

VST MFX "Wrapper" Project

Given that MFX is being orphaned by Cakewalk, while Steinberg is (apparently) supporting MIDI effects in the VST environment, it would appear that the Cakewalk user universe needs a VSI MIDI "wrapper" analogous to the FXpasnsion and DireciXer wrappers for VSTi softsynths and audio effects. I'm willing to take on the job in my "copious spare time", but I'd like to see if anyone else would like to participate. I'm a very seasoned real-time programmer, my current project being a modification of the Linux kernel to treat multithreaded RISC "microthreads" as virtual CPUs in an SMP kernel. So the architecture/coding/debugging of even a complex translation system isn't intimidating to me. On the other hand, my Windows programming experience has been mostly limited to command-line programs, with the exceptions of the very vanilla MFC interfaces I did for the LesLoups and Orchid MFX plugins. If there were people out there with relevant experience and good attitude who wanted to take care of the GUI and registry management parts of the "MFiXer" program, I'd be delighted, and we could get the project going fairly quickly. I'm mostly motivated to do this for my own use, and if other people handle the parts that I would find particularly onerous, I would not be strongly opposed to making it freeware, bu I think that such a product has some market value, though nothing exceptional, probably on the order of $30-50 per copy. I'm willing to discuss an equitable split of revenues with other players.

I'd also be very grateful if anyone else has war stories of having tried to do this kind of thing in the past.

And, of course, if Cakewalk wants to underwrite this project to some degree, taking advantage of Paralogos (my French consulting company) as a buffer to avoid entanglements with Steinberg's VST licensing agreements, that would be fine by me.

I'll follow this thread on the forum, but I can also be reached by email as kevink AT paralogos DOT com, or even more quickly via the ACM's mail forwarding service as kevink AT acm DOT org.

9 Replies Related Threads

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2005/11/06 07:48:12 (permalink)
    Hi Kevin:
    I can't help - I am not a programmer - but I wanted to add my support. It certainly has market potential and I would be very glad to pay for such a wrapper - great idea - hope it takes off.

Regards,

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2005/11/07 11:41:08 (permalink)

Kevin - I sent PM to the acm addy.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Amberwolf
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2005/11/08 01:32:14 (permalink)
    Like Brando, I'm not a programmer, but also would like to add support for this. Unfortunately all I can do is offer to help test it for you with any VST MIDI effects I can get hold of (right now, those would have to be any freeware ones, later on I might have budget to buy some if this wrapper becomes reality enough to be sure investment in them would be worth it, since SONAR is the only MIDI editor I use).

Unless you need graphics for things, or music for them, I'm not able to offer anything else. :)

FWIW, I've used your Orchid MFX more than a little. Almost anything that lets me filter incoming MIDI realtime is useful to me in my composition work, because of how I create my music, with layered sounds.

If I could use these types of filtering effects within Brainspawn's Forte, that'd be useful too, as I use that to host synths that either don't work right in SONAR or else are 'experimental' to me, in that I haven't proven their stability in my uses solidly enough to put them directly in my editor (where I risk data loss from a crash if the synth breaks while I'm composing). I don't know how much work has to be done at Brainspawn's end to use MIDI effects in it, but I'd definitely like to see that happen.
    post edited by Amberwolf - 2005/11/08 01:36:46
    jhonvargas
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 371
    RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2005/11/08 13:14:54 (permalink)
    I am a programmer, I have a good MFC framework experience. Just let me know how can we approach this. jhomestudio AT hotmail DOT com
    markheath
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2005/11/08 16:43:25 (permalink)
    Given that MFX is being orphaned by Cakewalk

where did you hear this? was it announced somewhere?
    KevinK
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2005/11/09 06:02:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: markheath

Given that MFX is being orphaned by Cakewalk

where did you hear this? was it announced somewhere?

The MFX SDK web link has been dead for a long time. The DXi SDK (which includes the means to make MFX) hasn't been updated in 2 years, and hasn't been fully compatible with Microsoft's DirectX SDK for well over a year now. Did you really think they were going to make a formal announcement when they walked away from DXi/MFX? Rumour has it that Ron and company were working on Yet Another MIDI Plugin Standard, but I'm afraid it's too late to establish another industrial standard in this domain, and for better or for worse, VST has won.
    markheath
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2005/11/09 07:51:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KevinK
    The MFX SDK web link has been dead for a long time. The DXi SDK (which includes the means to make MFX) hasn't been updated in 2 years, and hasn't been fully compatible with Microsoft's DirectX SDK for well over a year now. Did you really think they were going to make a formal announcement when they walked away from DXi/MFX? Rumour has it that Ron and company were working on Yet Another MIDI Plugin Standard, but I'm afraid it's too late to establish another industrial standard in this domain, and for better or for worse, VST has won.

Yes it has gone rather quiet, but you can still build DXi's with newer versions of Visual Studio even though it is a bit painful to get working. It could just be down to the fact that there isn't exactly a booming industry of amateur DXi plugin writers - they're all making VSTi's. There is very little incentive for hobbyists to make DXi's, especially since the learning curve for the DXi SDK is rather more steep than for VST and SONAR now supports VST natively. Professional music companies making DXi's can live without the wizard.

However, Cakewalk's support of MIDI out from VSTi's is not impressive (maybe even non-existent?) - see the many threads on Groove Agent. So if you were to make an MFX to VST wrapper, do you know that it would actually work in SONAR?

I for one don't think it would be a bad thing if another plugin standard was created. It would obviously need widespread support from more than one company. But it would give a chance to set some things right. For example, 64 bit support from the outset and a license friendly to open source developers. And if it were to stand any chance of succeeding, a similar programming model to VST to allow wrappers to be easily constructed.
    Tonmann
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 661
    Re: RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2010/07/17 10:31:22 (permalink)
    Hi Kevin,

unfortunately I found this topic just but now...
    So, are you still interested in developing such a wrapper? If so, I'd like to offer my help here, since I'm also looking for some kind of VST(M)-to-MFX wrapper for quite a while now.
    Please let me know what kind of support you would need for that.
    Thanks!

cheers,
    Chris
    kazssym
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: RE: VST MFX "Wrapper" Project 2010/08/12 02:20:39 (permalink)
    I wonder which host applications are or will be supporting VST MIDI Effect API.  If no host applications other than Cubase support it, it will be just another API for MIDI effects in addition to Cakewalk's.

Do you know any host applications (other than Cubase of course) that support or are expected soon to support the API.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1