VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I play

Author
hypersnowball
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/12/26 13:58:06 (permalink)

VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I play

So what I am asking is this, I want real sounding VST midi sounds that I can control directly with my MIDI keyboard.

I don't want stuff like "Virtual Bassist" which seems to only play preset patterns, I want to play the part my self and have the VST plug in generate the tone, like cakewalks ts-1 plug in.

I can't understand why music companies produce software that produces music patterns for the user, I don't want that, I want to write songs that are personal to my very own style, and a preset pattern has generic written all over it, get what I'm saying.

So what I would like to know is what VST's sound like the real thing.

Guitar, Bass Guitar, Drums (especially cymbals), pianos, horns (trombone would be great, but whatever), strings and so on.

So far I know of Real guitar, that sounds good, also BFD drums.

It seems no one has produced a playable real sounding VST bass as of yet, but maybe I have just not found it.

Also, free VST or VST that takes $$$, does not matter, but please if a VST is out their that is free please don't omit it, it does not matter, all that matters is the authenticity of the sound, and I have had free VST sound synths  before that beat the pants off the ones you pay for.

7 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I p 2010/12/26 15:20:41 (permalink)
    hypersnowball

It seems no one has produced a playable real sounding VST bass as of yet, but maybe I have just not found it.

Check out NI's Scarbee basses. They are very playable from a keyboard but it does take a bit of practice to accurately control the velocity switches between harmonics, mutes and sustains and you need to be precise with your legato for the hammer-ons.

For general instruments check out NI's Kontakt and YellowTool Independence.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    hypersnowball
    Re:VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I p 2010/12/26 17:58:58 (permalink)
    Scarbee basses

Yes! Scarbee Basses does sound like the real deal, Thanks!
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I p 2010/12/26 18:47:16 (permalink)
    Native instruments has a number of nice sounding synths and they use samples not algorithms to make the sound. Samples are the real instrument recorded in a nice setting.

For drums, I like Jamstix since I do not play drums, and JS will actually create a drum track, and not from loops. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I p 2010/12/26 21:14:06 (permalink)
    +1 to the NI stuff ... of course these require a strong computer.

The list of VST and Dx synths are great: Cakewalk DX and 3rd Party VST synths:

cw Session Drummer, cw DimPro, cw Rapture, etc.

3rd Party MIDI VSTs:

1) Spectrasonics Ominisphere has all your Roland synths covered ($$$)

2) Spectrasonics Trilian: pretty much any MIDI bass imaginable ($250) ... 35GBytes I sampled yesterday ... worth every penny so far.

3) EWQL for Orchestrals, drum drones, and Choir ... especially ... but also Ministry of Rock (for guitars and basses ... their drum kits are weak)

4) If you want Guitar synths that are non-canned: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2170690

5) BFD drums (as you mentioned ... it has compatibility with Zen-drums, FWIW) ... EZ drummer, Superior Drummer, etc.

6) A Fantom X keyboard with SR-cards may better suit your performance centered playing.

7) FWIW, very little free stuff sounds non-generic, IMHO, JMO.

8) Off Topic: if you get tired of being a one-man-band ... whisking your fingers on the keyboard, consider: Band-In-The-Box audiophile ($700) enhances all the country and jazz genres sort of like Jamstix does drums ... but BiaB is its own program outside Sonar) and takes your chords and makes non-generic beauty out of them.

Off Topic: Likewise, Acid (Commercial) and Rx loops (cw Beatscape) ... please don't underestimate them.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    hypersnowball
    Re:VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I p 2010/12/27 02:28:50 (permalink)
    Here is a VST sample I found that was free, it is a Wurlitzer organ, a good one with everything, and it sounded real also, it was free to try it but they wanted the users to pay money if they liked it and wished to use it professionally, but you are right, little in the way of free items have that professional quality.

http://www.virtualorgan.com/
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I p 2010/12/27 08:28:07 (permalink)
    you can also form a virtual band with other members here...

What Philip says about Band in a box is true.... however there are other less expensive versions of BB besides the audiophile version.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    DaGunz
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:VST MIDI, What sounds real, that I can use as a midi voice through my MIDI keyboard I p 2011/01/02 12:30:23 (permalink)
    IMO,

Best synths, sampler, sound FX, organs and basses - NI Komplete 7

Best Pianos - Imperfect Samples and Synthogy Ivory

Best Orchestra and Such - East/West and Project Sam

Best Drums - Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Best Audio Effects Processor Bundle - Waves Mercury
    post edited by DaGunz - 2011/01/02 14:13:53
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1