VST Piano Duel

Author
piira
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2010/09/17 04:53:00 (permalink)

VST Piano Duel

Hi.  I've been working on a song that ends with a brief piano duel just before the closing eighth.  Normally I use my TruePiano vst (I'm a big fan of that one), and for this song I used the Steinway piano from EQ Collasus for the duel.  Of course, these sound nothing alike, which is what I want.  But when they're played, the two pianos sound like they're recorded in completely different places/rooms/environments.  I really need the two different pianos in my duel to sound like they're in the same environment (as a duel would really be done).  Does anyone have suggestions of settings to get these two vst plugins to sound like they'r ein the same room or at least close?  I just can't get it right and beg for help.  Thank you very much.

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:VST Piano Duel 2010/09/17 08:43:06 (permalink)
    they sound like different room because the samples were recorded in different rooms.

If the synth player for the samples has a reverb control... (mine does) turn the reverb OFF and let it record and play dry.

Then set up a piano BUSS and use the same reverb (and other FX if any) on both,,, very light reverb to give them both the same ambiance.... that should help make them sound like they are in the same room.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    piira
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:VST Piano Duel 2010/09/18 07:13:34 (permalink)
    Okay, thank you.  I did both suggestions- re-recorded with no reverb on either, then put them on the same buss.  Now they do sound like they're in the same room (or at least pretty close), but one sounds like it's far away from the mic, so I added a ozone preset to give it more Sparkle.  That made it sound much better.  I still have a bit of work to do on it, but I think I'm closer.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1