VST Scanner application error

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
ascottdesign
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 957
2008/10/21 18:19:48 (permalink)

VST Scanner application error

The VST scanner's up the spout, Any ideas what's causing it to scan itself to death, giving out VST Scanner error messages before the programme opens?
Any help would be appreciated

92 Replies Related Threads

cjlinus
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/21 22:28:27 (permalink)
    Without knowing what your computer is up to it's a bit hard to tell what's wrong. Did you try a reinstall?

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/22 03:58:08 (permalink)
    Hi Cyrus,
    Yes have done all the usual stuff, tried reinstallation, just had a message from windows suggesting that I clean the hard drive. It would appear that I've had a visit in the from of a rather nasty bug through the internet system...
    Oh the joys...Thanks for getting back anyway
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/22 08:03:49 (permalink)
    Hi Alan, hope that's nothing serious there mate.

Just a quick question from me about the VST - I'm assuming the VST's are being scanned my Music Creator 4 because GT3 doesn't perform a scan when it's booted up.

Are you getting screens popping up saying xxxx plug-in is not going to work or similar and then asking if you want to disable it or 'load it (risky)'?

I had a similar problem when I got Home Studio and it happens every now and again still but only with one or two plugs, which considering I've now got over 300 isn't too bad!

Steve

Typo
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/10/22 08:09:09

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/22 11:44:58 (permalink)
    Hello Steve
    I placed the same question in MC in the hope of getting a quicker response.

You're right mate its MC doing the scanning and scanning and scanning and scanning and scanning then crashing.
    The two messages are
    1) Cannot find DlLL and the programme will be terminated
    and
    2) Error 126
    When I managed to get mc to open I tried to various plug in's in the FX bins in MC & GT3 without any sound difference whatsoever from either software.
    Tried reinstalling a couple of times but that did no good.
    From the info I've gathered from the forum
    I'm pretty sure that the problem is a bug infestation via the internet...Will reformat this evening and start again.....

Will let you know how I come on...Speak soon
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/22 13:24:26 (permalink)
    Yeah, that sounds an awful lot worse than what I was getting Alan - hope you get it sorted quick though mate.

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/10/22 13:29:08

ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/22 16:15:36 (permalink)
    I could cheerfully throw the computer against the wall, but that ain't going to fix anything. It all happened right after I installed Jamstix. Probably nothing to do with that but just maybe there was a corrupt file in there...I'n not qualified enough to stand by such a statement. God only knows. Clearing the hard drive will and starting again will do the trick...Only hope I can remember all the settings...
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/22 17:39:08 (permalink)

Alan, sometimes these coincidences are just that, but not always - this really seems like something has happened that can be traced back to the Jamstix installation.

If you haven't already done so, and before you start clearing your hard drive, I'd suggest you try a System Restore to just before you installed Jamstix.

If everything returns to normal after that, you can be pretty certain that you've found your culprit - at least we'll have something to go on and maybe change when you re-install Jamstix.

If nothing changes and you're still getting the scanning errors once you've restored, you can undo the restore safe in the knowledge that Jamstix wasn't the problem and maybe you have been infected.

Steve

ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 03:42:37 (permalink)
    Good thinking Steve, Been one step ahead of you and already tried that...The system is too far gone...Totally confused and unable to cope with the retore function...Pretty sure its time for a clean out....
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 07:10:07 (permalink)

D'Oh!

How full is your hard drive Alan - I once let my old PC get so full of GT recordings that it didn't show any available restore points at all.

If you are doing a complete rehash though, remember to save any recordings you've done in GT or MC as bundle files to another medium (external drive/DVD±R/CD-R).

Steve

FlySig
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 10:50:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ascottdesign
    ...The system is too far gone...Totally confused and unable to cope with the retore function...Pretty sure its time for a clean out....

Been there, and it is hugely frustrating! Windows XP Service Pack 3 took down our whole computer. No ability to restore, and could barely get it to boot up in a crippled state. Like you, I was ready to throw the computer against the wall. Actually, I was considering using it for target practice. Losing the use of the computer for a couple of weeks was very disruptive to the family, as we lost our financial tracking (Quicken) and we do a lot of stuff like internet banking, internet bill paying, managing work schedules via internet, and the kids doing homework.

Our solution was to buy an Apple iMac computer. It has solved all our quirky windows issues, blues screens, reinstalls, all those funny messages when you try to install new programs, updating drivers, worrying about viruses, etc.

The only problem is that GTP3 doesn't run on a Mac. We use an old laptop for recording in the computer room, which runs XP. Although it has the capability of getting on the internet, we generally keep the wireless turned off on that computer and just run it for recording. GarageBand comes standard on the Mac. It seems to be a fairly competent recording program, though I haven't used it other than to explore it a bit. My teenage daughter uses it all the time for single-take recording and adding simple effects. I don't think it is an adequate replacement for GTP3 if you like to patch in a lot of effects or do serious editing.

Checkout my songs at http://www.soundclick.com/zozobra
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 11:23:39 (permalink)
    Hi Flysig,
    A Mac is probably the answer if it's to be used with the internet as well. My youngest daughter has a Mac and has never had any problems at all. She is trying to talk me round.

The answer is to get another computer specifically for the net and keep all the recoding stuff internet free so there's no possible way of the music suffering further infestations

The Cakewalk project was intended to be a little light hobby to amble away the odd hour or two when I'd nothing better to do, however, I think I've been bitten by the same bug that has bit Mr Strummer. My seacharter boat and fishing expeditions have taken a back seat now and making a bit of music and chatting with you guys has taken over........All good stuff...Apart from the crash!
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 11:43:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve, got the bungles on the external hard drive. Only lost one...not too bad.
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 11:46:26 (permalink)
    120 gig Hard drive was only 30% full................
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 16:01:37 (permalink)

Thanks Steve, got the bungles on the external hard drive. Only lost one...not too bad.

I shouldn't really be pickin' on you at this moment in time Alan but I couldn't resist it... sorry!

ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 18:42:16 (permalink)
    Am I right in thinkin he bungled it as well...Boo hoo
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 18:47:00 (permalink)
    If you weren't such a respectable bunch of blokes, the language would be blue
    Managed GTP3 back on track but mislaid the serial number to MC4. Got the registration but no Serial....
    Cakewalk said aye nae bother just go onto your web account and get the details.
    The accounts won't let me in Grrrrrrrhhhhh..Sod it I'm going fishing
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/23 18:57:13 (permalink)
    Wicked Steve...Nice one, pretty powerful stuff. You're getting into 7 big time..What drums are you using? The levels were good but the panning seems to be a little heavy to one side if you don't mind me saying. Great all the same.

The upgrade has been worth while then???
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/24 05:06:33 (permalink)
    What a silly arse I am the balance problem is at my end...Need new phones...Send me another picture of Bungle QUICK
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/24 16:40:15 (permalink)

Alan, all I can say is how did the fishing go

ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 09:15:46 (permalink)
    Not many fish but it's good to get out to sea (I've an old 40 feet seangling chartet boat that's my pride and joy) It's good to forget about all the everyday crap, the business and usual stuff.
    You may already know I managed to get my serial number (after I don't know how many email requests to Cakewalk) through a really helpful guy Moderator Willie Jones.
    Beagle put me in contact with this guy, I emailed him and it was sorted within the hour....He's definately going into my contact book, a really nice helpful bloke.
    Got MC quickly installed. (Not as fast as you with 7 though) and believe it or not, that nasty cheap Midi controller packed up right after installation...So cakewalk takes a back seat again for a little while..What a bummer...The prodikeys is under guarantee so I'll get another but don't expect it to last very long. That controller of yours certainly looks great. Are you pleased with it?.
    Since starting with the music again over the last couple of months I've spent so much time writing and concentrating on the music side, I now really must spend the time to get my head round how the software, setup, connections work. Up until now I've just been bumbling along. I HATE instruction manuals and have difficulty absorbing information from them.
    The MC installation didn't go well at all, as there's unwanted noise, crackles, feedback plus there's no way of knowing if the settings are right to record midi with the controller biting the dust.
    I wrote all the settings down and have tried to keep everything the same but it ain't right my friend...
    Just a thought I could start a thread on the complete set up of the software if you'd be good enough to tell me how to upload images.
    It would be great for dumbo's like me.....
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 10:01:43 (permalink)

Hi Alan

Here's a quick guide to getting your images in the forum:

To take screenshots of what's on your monitor, use the Print Screen/SysRq key - you may have to hold it for a second or two until the image is copied to your clipboard.

You can accomplish the next stage in any number of ways but this is how I find it easiest for me. The screenshot is copied to your clipboard as a PNG file - I like to work with JPG's for uploading so first thing I do is paste (Ctrl+V) the image into Paint.net and save it as a JPG.

You can edit the JPG in any number of applications - I use Photoshop Elements for more detailed stuff (like blurring the backgrounds of windows etc) but for adding text and arrows I use Paint.net. In your line of work you've no doubt got some nice software for doing these things!

Now you have the image you want to use in a post in the forum - the image is displayed by way of a link to it in your post. To these ends, the image must be uploaded to a web site and be given it's own 'address' which the forum software can read by way of the code used.

As my host program, I, and a lot of others here use Photobucket - it's free account is perfect for hosting images that are to be displayed on web pages. To open up a account go to Photobucket

Once you're up and running with Photobucket, use the Browse buttons in the top right of your album to navigate to the image on your PC that you want to display; when you double click an image it's file name will be loaded into the appropriate field. You can repeat this process to prepare more images for uploading to your album.

Once you're happy, use the Upload button in Photobucket - this will start the process of copying your images into your album:

When your image has uploaded, click on the 'Direct Link' field next to it - this copies the address of the image:

Now, in the post reply window in the forum, click on the image button from the options along the top - this inserts this code: [image][/image]

Click in between the two brackets: [image]click in here[/image] and then use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V to paste the image address there.

Check it's ok using the Preview button and there you go!!

One very important point Alan, the images that appear in your posts are not 'really' embedded there - the image has to always be in your Photobucket album and have the same 'address' - if you delete the image in your album, it will also be removed from your post.

I'm off out for a few hours now Alan, but if you need any more assistance mate, I should be about tonight around 7ish and I'll walk you through it if you want - it's one of those things that seems very complicated to start off but once you've done in a couple of times it all clicks into place and becomes second nature!

Steve

ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 10:15:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve really appreciated
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 14:48:13 (permalink)
    Followed your instructions to the T but the cakewalk sit won't let me paste for some reason.
    I've also had problem since starting not being able to insert a pic under the two stars. Have kept the size small enough.It just don't want to know.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 14:53:57 (permalink)

Are you there Alan

ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 15:23:33 (permalink)
    Found it. My clever, clever daughter had to help me out though. Photobucket wasn't copying with a left click. She says I'm a silly old B******!

If you don't mind Steve, when you get the chance would you look over my settings and let me have your opinion.

It's going to give me a chance to send you a bit of visual abuse as well. lol
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 15:33:23 (permalink)

Well done Alan's daughter!!

You still haven't got your avatar back though, the limits are:

* 145 x 145 pixels max

* 10 KB max (choose 9.5 to be safe)

* JPG or GIF only

And most importantly - don't forget to click on OK or Apply at the bottom of your profile page or else the image won't be saved!

Back to the settings - is that GT or MC Alan?

ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 15:37:16 (permalink)

There's isn't much point in sending this because my controllers nackered. I did it just because I could. Not bad for an old geezer of 95 eh!
    ascottdesign
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 15:38:41 (permalink)
    Will have a shot at that Avatar Steve...Sorry don't have your lightning fingers mate.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: VST Scanner application error 2008/10/25 15:41:46 (permalink)

Will have a shot at that Avatar Steve...Sorry don't have your lightning fingers mate.

My finger speed is dulled by a rather nice drop of Alma Mora red wine - on offer at half price at the Co-Op at the mo!

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1