VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2014/04/19 21:05:34 (permalink)

VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work

After updating Win 7 including the optional updates and updating my video card and motherboard, I uninstalled X3 and reinstalled it. VST scan crashed on Vsampler, so I uninstalled Vsampler with the uninstall option of clearing the registry. I deleted it's speedsoft directory also and deleted Vsampler.dll from the Cakewalk VST folder. . Then the VST scan started crashing on RXP, which is a Cakewalk DXi pluggin.

I tried all sorts of variations in Preferences/VST settings of reset, with and without the checked boxes (scan failed pluggins, etc) It kept either stalling on scanning RXP or crashed. I also tried several variations of excluding RXP in the DXi part of pluggin manager. I'm now running X3 and installing it using the "run as administrator" option.

I tried reinstalling X3e, then uninstalled X3 in control panel and reinstalling X3a and unchecked RXP (this may have been a mistake), then installed  the patch for X3e, During all of these installs listed above I chose the option "run as administrator". After all of this, it's still crashing on scanning RXP. I'm at my wits end.

My previous install of X3 was problematic with VST scan but reset easily solved it and I had no issues at all with RXP. I really don't think it's properly resetting anyway, because I'm not getting these notices for things like "this pluggin is only for use in Sonar". When I did reset in the past I got these notices windows popping up that I would hit OK.

I do have X1 and 8.5 also installed, so RXP is likely not uninstalled by simply unchecking it during the X3 install. It seems 2 solutions I can think of is how do I uninstall RXP? Or how do I clear the VST scan registry info so it does clearly reset and start all over. I can't find any info about completely uninstalling X3 including deleting registry items and directories, so I can do a clean install. It seems that may work also.

Any other suggestions?

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

40 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 01:24:35 (permalink)
    Three questions:

Are you running 64- or 32-bit Sonar?
    Do you have a 32-bit VST plugins folder, 64-bt VSTplugins folder, or both?
    Does an RXP folder show up in your VSTplugins folder(s)? If so, which one(s)?

You mention that RXP is a DXi plug-in, but the RXP .DLL for my install of Sonar X3 is in the 64-bit VSTplugins folder. Perhaps Sonar X3 wants to see the 64-bit VST plug-in but instead sees the DXi plug-in and then crashes.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 02:04:44 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Three questions:

Are you running 64- or 32-bit Sonar?
    Do you have a 32-bit VST plugins folder, 64-bt VSTplugins folder, or both?
    Does an RXP folder show up in your VSTplugins folder(s)? If so, which one(s)?

You mention that RXP is a DXi plug-in, but the RXP .DLL for my install of Sonar X3 is in the 64-bit VSTplugins folder. Perhaps Sonar X3 wants to see the 64-bit VST plug-in but instead sees the DXi plug-in and then crashes.

You may be on to something. Let me give you some background. When X1 first came out I got it and tried to use it with Win 7 and had some serious Echo driver problems with my Layla 24, so stopped using it and used 8.5 with XP until 4 months ago when I found I could use Win 7. So I reverted to this old image file that had 8.0 and 8.5 as 64 bit Sonar installed and 8.0, 8.5, and X1 installed as 32 bit. I haven't even tried the 64 bit programs in years.

IN my (x86) Program files RXP is not in any VST folders only a DXi folder. But in Program files for 64 bit Cakewalk I do see RXP in the VST folders just like you said. I looked closely in Pluggin Manager and perferences VST settings and it is only scanning (x86).

I'm not using any 64 bit Sonar programs quite yet, because I want to get the 32 bit working fine for X3 first. Unless I see a compelling need to change this plan. You may be correct when you suggest  Sonar X3 wants to see the 64-bit VST plug-in but instead sees the DXi plug-in and then crashes.

Now a few days ago before I uninstalled X3 and reinstalled, I didn't have this problem with RXP, but i did have a problem with Vsampler, which I had to uninstall and reinstall. In my dabbling today I did see Vsampler show up in the pluggin manager DXi folder, but it was an excluded pluggin. I went ahead and re-enabled it and then excluded it again to see if that would help and a window came up saying that Vsampler was not installed correctly and if I wanted to delete it from the registry - I answered yes.

So I wonder if this somehow corrupted my registry, since that's when the problem with RXP started.  This is why I wonder if the solution is to clean the VST scan info from the registry

I have a 32-bit VST plugins folder, no 64-bt VSTplugins folder
    an RXP folder is not in my VSTplugins folder

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 02:26:31 (permalink)
    If you don't have Sonar installed as a 64bit program, then the 32bit version won't be looking for RXP 64 bit. Also Dxi's don't have. .dll files they have. . ax extensions

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 02:38:53 (permalink)
    mudgel
    If you don't have Sonar installed as a 64bit program, then the 32bit version won't be looking for RXP 64 bit. Also Dxi's don't have. .dll files they have. . ax extensions

This is my RXP file - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\RXP\RXP.dll

As you can see it is a .dll. So is this a bug I need to report, that VST scan is thinking RXP DXi is a VST?

Do you have a method for a clean install of X3, which would have me first clean all of X3 from my computer including registry items and folders? OR do you have any more ideas on solving this?

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Anderton
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 03:08:19 (permalink)
    DXi plug-ins can have a .dll or .ax extension. DX plug-ins are a pain because they write themselves wherever they want to write themselves, and make mysterious registry entries. They don't always live in a nice neat folder, like VST plug-ins.

Have you registered the RXP? Here's the procedure (thank you google):

Follow these steps to register (DirectX) DLLs:
    • On the Taskbar, select Start > Run.
    • In the Open field, type regsvr32 "<path>\NameOfFile.extension", where <path> is the directory where the file is located on your computer and NameOfFile.extension is the name of the file. For example: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\RXP\RXP.dll"
    • Press Enter.

To unregister/remove a DirectX DLL, type regsvr32 /u "<path>\NameOfFile.extension"

I've had to re-register plug-ins sometimes when doing a re-install. But for the future, I think the best solution is to get 8GB of RAM and go for 64 bits. I'm not quite sure why you want to get Sonar working first under 32 bits...might as well go for the real deal. Sounds like you have a bit of a Frankensystem there...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 06:16:22 (permalink)
    Must admit I don't remember seeing a DX plugin with a dll extension but thanks for expanding my knowledge Craig.
    You can create yourself a little reg server utility
    For registering a DX plugin do the following.
    Create a shortcut on your desktop
    Right click, select properties and in the target line type "C:/Windows/System32/regsrv32"
    Then just drag and drop any DX plugin that needs to be registered onto it.
    Make another shortcut adding the /u switch to your command line for de-registering any DX plugins.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Anderton
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 11:21:12 (permalink)
    mudgel
    Must admit I don't remember seeing a DX plugin with a dll extension but thanks for expanding my knowledge Craig.

Just one more confusing aspect to DirectX plug-ins...

You can create yourself a little reg server utility
    For registering a DX plugin do the following.
    Create a shortcut on your desktop
    Right click, select properties and in the target line type "C:/Windows/System32/regsrv32"
    Then just drag and drop any DX plugin that needs to be registered onto it.
    Make another shortcut adding the /u switch to your command line for de-registering any DX plugins.

That's really clever! Let's hope it does the job for gmp.

gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 13:16:03 (permalink)
    I tried what you suggested and it didn't solve the VST scan crash on RXP problem.

I booted the computer. Hit Start button. IN the bottom window where it says "search programs and files" I pasted this text in there and hit ok
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\RXP\RXP.dll"
    A window came up and said
    D#Register server in regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\RXP\RXP.dll" succeeded

I opened X3 and since I have it set for manual scans, no startup scans happened. I hit preferences/VST settings and both boxes were checked (failed pluggins, etc) I hit reset then scan. It crashed on RXP

I registered a few more times, tired checking only failed pluggins and then no checks, closed and reopened X3, tried it once more, crashed on RXP

thanks for all the help,

After I did all the Windows updates I did make an image file, so for now I'll revert back to that and uninstall Vsampler first then uninstall and reinstall X3 using the run as administrator option and hope this RXP problem doesn't occur again. I'll post back after that.

Also if you want me to try something else I did make an image file of this RXP problem, so I can revert back to that for testing purposes

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 13:23:12 (permalink)
    The RXP which ships with X3 Studio and Producer is a VSTi installed in the Vstplugins directory. The DXi version must be from a prior release. Not sure why the VST scanner is even looking at the "Shared DXi" directory.

What are the paths defined in "VST scan paths"?

gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 14:26:21 (permalink)
    scook
    The RXP which ships with X3 Studio and Producer is a VSTi installed in the Vstplugins directory. The DXi version must be from a prior release. Not sure why the VST scanner is even looking at the "Shared DXi" directory.

What are the paths defined in "VST scan paths"?

there are 3 paths, all the standard default  (x86) including common files folder. I haven't added any paths. VST scan seems buggy to me and seems to be checking out more paths than it should.

It was initially crashing on Vsampler, which it did on my first X3 install. When pluggin manager offered to delete Vsampler from the registry that's when the problems showed up with RXP.  Although it may be that it just hadn't gotten to RXP before i crashed on Vsampler, I'm not sure about this part.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 14:36:01 (permalink)
    Strange, only 2 paths are standard in an X3 64bit installation:
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Vst3

I would expect the 32bit installation to only show:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Vst3

Prior to X3 there was only one path by default in the VST Scan Path window. The VST3 path is new to X3.
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 17:28:54 (permalink)
    scook
    Strange, only 2 paths are standard in an X3 64bit installation:
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Vst3

I would expect the 32bit installation to only show:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Vst3

Prior to X3 there was only one path by default in the VST Scan Path window. The VST3 path is new to X3.

there's one other directory under Cakewalk/shared something?/internal it has console emulator in there

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 17:51:51 (permalink)
    After I did all the Windows updates I made an image file,  I reverted back to it and uninstalled Vsampler first, Vsampler is completely uninstalled, including deleting it's speedsoft folder and the Vsampler.dll found in the Cakewalk vst folder. I then uninstalled and reinstalled X3 using the run as administrator option.

After the install, I didn't launch the application, instead I updated to X3e using the patch and using the run as administrator option. When I did launch X3 I ran it as the administrator and even though Vsampler is completely uninstalled it's showing up in VST scan and crashes it everytime. I tried reset, with no check boxes and then with the check boxes. So far the RXP problem hasn't occurred again and I did see it flash by during the VST scan.

I rebooted and tried it all again to no avail. Also when I did launch the application for the first time it did copy preferences and maybe that's where it got the Vsampler info from. Either that or the VST scan didn't uninstall, since it's used by 8.5 and X1.

In pluggin manager under DXi if I choose "show excluded", it shows Vsampler under excluded. X1 never had this buggy performance with VST scan. I'm at a loss what to try next.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 18:27:37 (permalink)
    gmp

there's one other directory under Cakewalk/shared something?/internal it has console emulator in there

AFAIK, the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared Utilties\Internal" path is only exposed in the VST Scan Path box via the Cakewalk Plugin Manager. Cakewalk staff have advised to use the Preferences > File > VST Settings dialog for scanning plug-ins insted of the Cakewalk Plugin Manager.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 18:33:35 (permalink)
    gmp
    In pluggin manager under DXi if I choose "show excluded", it shows Vsampler under excluded. X1 never had this buggy performance with VST scan. I'm at a loss what to try next.

Is is possible there are still some references to VSampler in the registry? It is not unusual for uninstall process to leave registry entries. I am not sure how it would affect the VST scan process; it is an excluded DXi.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 18:56:04 (permalink)
    After reading both this and other thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3026687 I see no mention of the recommended reset/rescan http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013315 when upgrading to X3. Be aware, just like the VST scanner, there is only one version of the VST inventory used by all versions of SONAR on the machine. The reset removes all VST entries in the registry before the rescan rebuilds the list.
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 19:05:01 (permalink)
    scook
    gmp

Is is possible there are still some references to VSampler in the registry? It is not unusual for uninstall process to leave registry entries. I am not sure how it would affect the VST scan process; it is an excluded DXi.

I searched the registry and it's all over. Even if the program did say it would clean the registry during uninstall, I guess we can't expect it to clean all the references to it that other programs like Sonar have done. Here are the registry keys below I'd think would get rid of the problem. Note also that even though I manually deleted Vsampler.dll from cakewalk/vstplugins, it still shows up in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\ExcludedPlugIns

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/program files (x86)/cakewalk/vstplugins/VSampler3.dll

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FX-MAX\BitBridge\VoLEffect\c:\program files (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins\VSampler3.dll

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3235901495-1408207914-819435497-1004\Software\FX-MAX\BitBridge\VoLEffect\c:\program files (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins\VSampler3.dll

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 19:11:39 (permalink)
    scook
    After reading both this and other thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3026687 I see no mention of the recommended reset/rescan http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013315 when upgrading to X3. Be aware, just like the VST scanner, there is only one version of the VST inventory used by all versions of SONAR on the machine. The reset removes all VST entries in the registry before the rescan rebuilds the list.

Actually both threads mention this. I tried that multiple times, in this thread and once in the earlier thread - in fact that's what solved the problem in the earlier thread.

Yes I know there is only one version of the VST inventory used by all versions of SONAR on the machine. Maybe the reset is supposed to remove all VST entries in the registry before the rescan rebuilds the list, but I think in my case it's not happening correctly. I wish I knew why.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 19:18:21 (permalink)
    scook
    gmp

AFAIK, the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared Utilties\Internal" path is only exposed in the VST Scan Path box via the Cakewalk Plugin Manager. Cakewalk staff have advised to use the Preferences > File > VST Settings dialog for scanning plug-ins insted of the Cakewalk Plugin Manager.

That's right, the path is only exposed in the VST Scan Path box via the Cakewalk Plugin Manager. I didn't know the Cakewalk staff have advised us  to use the Preferences > File > VST Settings dialog for scanning plug-ins. The first thing I tried was the usual method of reset under preferences. I only used pluggin manager when the usual way with preferences didn't work.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 19:21:26 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, the installer only knows what it has built and whatever gets done manually to a hard drive will never automatically be reflected in the registry.

One thing I find strange about those entries, they look like 64bit version of SONAR entries. Notice the "Cakewalk VST X64" in one of them and "BitBridge" in two of them. These are not part of a 32bit installation. I though this was a 32bit X3 install.
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 19:32:29 (permalink)
    scook
    Oh yeah, the installer only knows what it has built and whatever gets done manually to a hard drive will never automatically be reflected in the registry.

One thing I find strange about those entries, they look like 64bit version of SONAR entries. Notice the "Cakewalk VST X64" in one of them and "BitBridge" in two of them. These are not part of a 32bit installation. I though this was a 32bit X3 install.

A few years ago when I installed X1, I did dabble with 64 bit X1 and 64 bit 8.5, so they're still installed

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Anderton
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 19:35:18 (permalink)
    Is there a possibility that all these mixed versions have driven the registry insane?

gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 19:44:43 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Is there a possibility that all these mixed versions have driven the registry insane?

What's strange is that my first installation of X3 with all these mixed versions was fine after I uninstalled Vsampler and hit vst reset, but now since I did all my Win updates, video card updates, and motherboard updates, uninstalled and reinstalled X3, the VST scanner has gone haywire.

Any more suggestions?

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Anderton
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 19:59:57 (permalink)
    I don't know what to say at this point. That's a lot of updates to happen all at once...even under the best of circumstances Windows strikes me as a bit of a house of cards. At this point it's probably Cakewalk tech support time if scook doesn't have a solution.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/20 20:13:34 (permalink)
    No, I don't. There have been at least three pretty lengthy threads on this case. The initial scanning issues (forgot about that one) which was resolved (or so I thought) only to be followed up with a general X3 stability thread and now after a wholesale machine update and re-install the scanner has gone south. At least, that is what I believe is the story.

Yeah, we could go through a few more cycles of tear down and rebuild with a few registry cleanups on the side but this is when a phone call (or two or three) to tech support may provide the most direct solution. I would point the support staff the the volumes that have documented in these threads. Hopefully they can sort it out.
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/21 14:56:31 (permalink)

Unfortunately the clean install deleting registry keys didn't help at all. VST scan crashes on Vsampler and under preferences VST settings the check boxes for scan failed pluggins and scan existing pluggins are greyed out. Even though Vsampler has been uninstalled. It apparently is only looking in the registry and not what's actually on the C drive. Vsampler also shows up in pluggin manager as an excluded pluggin.

Here are the registry keys below I'd think would get rid of the problem. Note also that even though I manually deleted Vsampler.dll from cakewalk/vstplugins, it still shows up in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\ExcludedPlugIns

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/program files (x86)/cakewalk/vstplugins/VSampler3.dll

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FX-MAX\BitBridge\VoLEffect\c:\program files (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins\VSampler3.dll

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3235901495-1408207914-819435497-1004\Software\FX-MAX\BitBridge\VoLEffect\c:\program files (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins\VSampler3.dll

It seems to me that I need some guidance on what keys are safe to delete in the registry or how I can uninstall VST scan and then reinstall it. I really don't think reset is working correctly. IN the past I noticed several popup boxes that came up during the reset procedure, none of those happen now.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/23 09:24:07 (permalink)
    Gerry,
    I'm thinking you have to get back to an image made BEFORE your Windows update AND the original install of X3.
    In reviewing your "Event Viewer" data the VSTscan.exe is v5.0.6.352.
    v5.0.3.0 is what I have for X2. My guess is that the uninstall of X3 left the newer version of vstscan in place.
    I've rolled my office system back to when it was working properly with X2.
    My "problem" projects seem to be only ones that were started on the office machine and moved out to the studio.
    AND started AFTER the most recent rounds of Windows Updates.
    I know this heresy flies in the face of "keep your system up to date" but I've been "leary" of MS updates for ages.
    Goes back to XP, maybe Win98se.
    I'm kind of an "If it ain't broke" guy.
    HTH; with the caveat that I am no expert.
    T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    gmp
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/23 13:34:07 (permalink)
    DeeringAmps
    Gerry,
    I'm thinking you have to get back to an image made BEFORE your Windows update AND the original install of X3.
    In reviewing your "Event Viewer" data the VSTscan.exe is v5.0.6.352.
    v5.0.3.0 is what I have for X2. My guess is that the uninstall of X3 left the newer version of vstscan in place.
    I've rolled my office system back to when it was working properly with X2.
    My "problem" projects seem to be only ones that were started on the office machine and moved out to the studio.
    AND started AFTER the most recent rounds of Windows Updates.
    I know this heresy flies in the face of "keep your system up to date" but I've been "leary" of MS updates for ages.
    Goes back to XP, maybe Win98se.
    I'm kind of an "If it ain't broke" guy.
    HTH; with the caveat that I am no expert.
    T

Yes Tom, I've definitely thought about going back to the pre X3 image, which is the pre Win update image. What I'd try to do is uninstall Vsampler first, do the Win updates, then install X3 and hope Vsampler reacts ok with the reset and rescan. During my very first X3 install, Vsampler was installed, VST scan crashed on Vsampler, I uninstalled it and hit reset rescan and all was well.

After getting no response to my 3rd post in this saga:
    VST scan not resetting - Can it be manually reset?
    I went ahead and emailed tech support. It seems to me that all this can be fixed with clearing the VST scan registry data and any other VST scan data in files to effectively uninstall and reinstall it.

In the mean time I went back to the image file I did right after resolving the VST scan problem which has the Win updates. I had 2 crashes during the first day with this image, but it's possible those 2 crashes were the result of Win Media Player being 64 bit and X3 being 32 bit and my sound card getting confused.

Bob Bone gave me the very helpful suggestion of using Win Media Player and Control Panel / sounds to my on board sound driver, which has worked great and for the last 2 days I've not had a crash, so far. THis latest saga of me uninstalling and reinstalling X3 was because I was leary of those 2 crashes I had were because my initial installation of X3 was unstable without those updates.

I've been leary of Win Updates also and never use auto updates, I only do them whenever I think I need them. I noticed Cakewalk recommends doing all the updates including the optional ones. that makes better sense to me, because I've always wondered about whether to do the optional ones.

I guess if everyone is doing that then the programmers can be better prepared for problems with the updates and make changes. So I think I'm going to be more on top of the updates, but keep doing image files before I do any. I'm also an "If it ain't broke" guy.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: VST scan problem - regular fixes don't work 2014/04/23 13:54:01 (permalink)
    All the VST reset does is clear the registry key that holds the inventory.

If this were my issue I would be on the phone to tech support. Anything that can be accomplished by email/text have already been explored in the various (duplicated!) threads on this issue.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1