Author
Zelmoman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2006/05/16 21:58:28 (permalink)

VST synth that does General Midi ?

Greetings:

I need some advice, please !

I switched from "soundblaster" audio cards to an M-Audio 2496 a few years ago. The only thing I miss about the SB cards is the free built-in General Midi synth. U have racks of hardware synths, some of which do General Midi, but patching and configuring them just for a quick demo is a pain.

What I'd like to have is a free (or cheap) VST plugin General Midi synth for Sonar 5. I have plenty of computing horsepower.

I searched for a while, but didn't find anything. Is there such a thing? Again, I don't need any better sound quality than the SB had, just something more convenient than the external gear.

Thanks, direct replies welcomed.

-doug-

zelmo@bogusbrand.com

12 Replies Related Threads

dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/05/16 22:32:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Zelmoman

Greetings:

I switched from "soundblaster" audio cards to an M-Audio 2496 a few years ago. The only thing I miss about the SB cards is the free built-in General Midi synth. U have racks of hardware synths, some of which do General Midi, but patching and configuring them just for a quick demo is a pain.

What I'd like to have is a free (or cheap) VST plugin General Midi synth for Sonar 5. I have plenty of computing horsepower.

I searched for a while, but didn't find anything. Is there such a thing? Again, I don't need any better sound quality than the SB had, just something more convenient than the external gear.

First, if you have Sonar 5P, then you have TTS-1 DXI, which is essentially the same as Edirol Hypercanvas. It's not bad and it's included with Sonar.

My current personal favorite is Forte DXI. I'd like to see it in VSTI format as well, but DXI is certainly usable in most of my current hosts.

There are other romplers that offer some level of GM compatibility, but they have some issues (IMHO):
    - Omnisyth is based on Sampletank 2 LE engine, and I don't believe it auto-loads patches in response to bank and program change
    - Bandstand is expensive and has gotten mediocre reviews - in particular patch changes take a significant time.
    - Purity is expensive and the reviews aren't much better.
    - Edirol VSC (used to be bundled with Sonar until TTS-1 replaced it) is pretty lame for $50 when ForteDXI is $40.
    - Colussus is VERY expensive.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    pete carr
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/05/16 22:38:54 (permalink)
    Is Forte DXI better then TTS-1?
    Thanks.
    dougsyo
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/05/16 23:28:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pete carr

Is Forte DXI better then TTS-1?
    Thanks.

Download the demo and compare for yourself (link in my post above). I prefer it myself.

Doug

tstephen
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/05/17 00:02:56 (permalink)
    I like SampleTank's OmniSynth. It's inexpensive and SampleTank's interface is extremely easy to use.

Sonar 6.2.1 SE
    AMD 64x2 3800+, Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 mobo, 2 GB DDR RAM, GeForce FX5200 AGP 8x
    WD SATA 250 GB HD, WD IDE 160 GB HD, Seagate 160 GB HD
    Phonic Helix 18
    Dimension Pro, JABB, Battery 2, Sampletank
    pete carr
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/05/17 00:37:04 (permalink)
    Being a DXI and TTS-1 being a VST is one easier or more complex to setup?
    Thanks.
    torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/05/17 07:57:26 (permalink)
    Have you looked at Bandstand?

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    dougsyo
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/05/17 11:05:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pete carr

Being a DXI and TTS-1 being a VST is one easier or more complex to setup?

TTS-1 is a DXI, and I believe it's installed already (by default) in Sonar 5.

You just insert it into your project to use it.

BTW, I like Omnisynth (and am looking forward to Omnisoundz 2), but if you're expecting it to read the MIDI bank/program changes and automatically set up, I haven't found a way to do it with the ST2 engine.

Another possible is a GM soundfont (Papelmedia, Sonic Implants, Ntonyx, freebies, etc) + your choice of soundfont player (sfz for example). It's not as smooth as, say, TTS-1 or Forte, but it can be done for free or inexpensively.

Doug

maikii
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/06/12 21:08:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Zelmoman

Greetings:

-doug-

zelmo@bogusbrand.com

Are you aware there is a free built-in GM synth in Windows? It's called Microsoft Synth, and is actually made by Roland. It's not great, but not bad.

I use Yamaha XG-50, which I bought years ago. It is not officially available any more, but I think there are places on the net you can download it.
    mosspa
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/06/12 22:23:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: maikii

I use Yamaha XG-50, which I bought years ago. It is not officially available any more, but I think there are places on the net you can download it.

How do you use it? Was there even such a thing as a VSTi or a DXi in 1997?

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/06/13 19:45:31 (permalink)
    Microsoft GS Wavetable synth will not show up in Sonar if you use WDM drivers. It will with ASIO, though, or MME. XG-50 will work with WDM.
    But if you have Sonar 5, why not just create a template with TTS-1 already set up? It sounds better anyway.
    mosspa
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/06/13 21:19:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Phoenix

Microsoft GS Wavetable synth will not show up in Sonar if you use WDM drivers. It will with ASIO, though, or MME. XG-50 will work with WDM.
    But if you have Sonar 5, why not just create a template with TTS-1 already set up? It sounds better anyway.

I find the XG-50 interesting because of the XG synth. About 15 computer generations ago I had an pre-PCI (I can't even remember the bus name, IDE?) soundcard that had XG for its GM soundset. I really liked the wierd things you could do wioth XGedit. I bought a CS1x because it supported the XG soundset and controls. I sold the CS1x, and have been XGless for over 5 years. When I saw the remarks in this thread, I thought that using it as a v-synth would be a neat way to get XG back. I don't doubt that the TTS-1 is probably a better sounding GM synth. I really don't care about that (I have a 5 GB GM set I put together in GigaStudio), I'd just like to play with an XG synth again.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    whoop
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: VST synth that does General Midi ? 2006/06/14 00:46:40 (permalink)
    i installed forte dxi the other day and in the process, cos i had a bit of trouble getting it to run, i started playing back some midi sequences with cowon jetaudio (winamp clone) and it actually sounded better than forte, which sounded better than tts-1. go figure. cowon should sell the gm synth engine as a dxi/vst plugin. now, every instrument wasn't better, but most were.

one thing i hate though: bandstand. i don't have the patience to wait for all the samples to load, over and over and over and... ....but at least it's not colussus (32gb)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1