VSTSCAN.EXE crashes (SOLVED)

Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2014/04/01 01:19:23 (permalink)

VSTSCAN.EXE crashes (SOLVED)

VSTSCAN.EXE is stopping and crashing on VSampler3DXI2. X3e is not crashing only the vstscan. I tried excluding this Dxi in plugin manager, yet it still shows up in the scan and crashes. I then completely uninstalled Vsampler, which is 3.53a (the paid version) and vstscan is still crashing on VSampler3DXI2. I can still use Vsampler in X3, but not completing the vstscans is causing problems with other vst pluggins.

First of all why in the world is VSTscan scanning a DXi synth that’s not in the vst directory? X1 and 8.53 didn’t have this problem until I installed X3, now all 3 programs have this problem. I also tried reinstalling Vsampler and only choosing the VST synth to be installed, since I never use the Dxi version anyway. Anyone else getting vstscan.exe crashes?
post edited by gmp - 2014/04/02 21:44:17

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

9 Replies Related Threads

GIM Productions
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 860
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/01 04:57:24 (permalink)
    Hi you can try to unistall it with regedit but with very carefully.
    Best

Intel i7 3600,Asus Z170P,16 GIG Corsair ram,Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i\o,Nektar Impact LX 49,Focusrite Liquid Mix,Monitors ADAM-K&H,Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 SP1
    Producer....more stuff in SStudio, Rome ,Italy.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/01 07:23:31 (permalink)
    All the versions of SONAR have the problem because there is only one VST scanner. The VST scanner is a shared utility updated every time a new version of SONAR is installed. Is this the first time the scanner was run after updating to  X3. If so, make sure to run a VST reset and rescan.

Is SONAR being run as administrator? It may be necessary with such an old plug-in.

I doubt it will make a difference but was the DXi unregistered when VSampler was uninstalled? Usually registry cleanup is not an automatic process. It would require running regsvr32 /u against the VSampler DXi dll.

May want to double check the VST scan path and use the Windows search function to make sure the offending file(s) are not in the scan path.

I am not going to suggest retiring VSampler but it is an old plug-in which has not been maintained by the developer in years. As useful as it may be, trying to stay current with everything else while running very old unsupported plug-ins is a tough task.
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/01 07:56:23 (permalink)
    SONAR only scans plugins that are in the scan path so please check it carefully. VSampler might be a dual VST and DXi which could be why its getting scanned. Another possibility is that something like JBridge is causing it to be scanned. Do you have that installed? 

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    gmp
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/01 11:29:36 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    SONAR only scans plugins that are in the scan path so please check it carefully. VSampler might be a dual VST and DXi which could be why its getting scanned. Another possibility is that something like JBridge is causing it to be scanned. Do you have that installed? 

In pluggin manager VSampler3DXI2 still shows up even after uninstalling it. In pluggin manager it shows the path to VSampler3DXI2.dll as C:\Program Files (x86)\Speedsoft\VSampler3\bin. This path is not in the scan paths in pluggin manager. I tried excluding it, which doesn't help.  VSampler3.dll is the VST synth and it shows up in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins. As you can see I'm using 32 bit X3 and have never used bit bridge. 

When installing VSampler, there is an option to install DXi, VST, and other formats. Initially I installed both VST and DXi, but found the DXi to be problematic, so I only use the VST.  When I uninstalled and reinstalled Vsampler, I only installed the VST. During the uninstall I also manually deleted the Speedsoft directory. I'm using the last version of Vsampler, the paid version, 3.5a

I haven't tried VST reset and rescan  or regedit, although the uninstall in Vsampler asked if I wanted to clean the registry and I said yes. I even tried to replace the vstscan.exe located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities with my previous version of vstscan before installing X3, that didn't work that well. It seems X3 could see it wasn't registered with X3.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/01 14:00:31 (permalink)
    It sounds like the DXi version is still in the registry. This is how the plug-in manager finds DXi plug-ings. To removed the registry entry by hand execute
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\Speedsoft\VSampler3\bin\VSampler3DXI2.dll"
    at the command line. It may be necessary to run cmd as administrator to execute regsvr32. The DXi version should not affect the VST scanner though. The reset and rescan may be all that is needed.

gmp
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/01 14:33:44 (permalink)
    scook
    It sounds like the DXi version is still in the registry. This is how the plug-in manager finds DXi plug-ings. To removed the registry entry by hand execute
    at the command line. It may be necessary to run cmd as administrator to execute regsvr32. The DXi version should not affect the VST scanner though. The reset and rescan may be all that is needed.

thank you, Scook for all the excellent info. I'll try all of that later.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/02 02:34:31 (permalink)
    scook

reset and rescan was all it needed. Once I got that all cleared up. I reinstalled Vsampler and only installed the VST not he DXi. It all seems to be working fine now

Thanks,

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/02 10:34:22 (permalink)
    @gmp - VERY happy you have this all sorted out.

If you don't mind, would you consider editing your first post for this thread, to add something like 'Solved', to the subject line?

This would let folks searching for similar situations know there is a potential fix for them, and it would also let others know they don't have to wade through a bunch of posts to try to help, only to find out it has been fixed at the end of it all.  :)

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    gmp
    Re: VSTSCAN.EXE crashes 2014/04/02 21:48:32 (permalink)
    robert_e_bone
    @gmp - VERY happy you have this all sorted out.

If you don't mind, would you consider editing your first post for this thread, to add something like 'Solved', to the subject line?

This would let folks searching for similar situations know there is a potential fix for them, and it would also let others know they don't have to wade through a bunch of posts to try to help, only to find out it has been fixed at the end of it all.  :)

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

Done!
    Thanks for the suggestion. It's been a long time since I've been back to the forum due to Win7 problems.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1