VSTi host for Dimension Pro

Author
cfellows
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2007/03/16 00:19:24 (permalink)

VSTi host for Dimension Pro

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between a VST host and a VSTi host? I've just bought Dimension Pro and am pretty much at a loss as to what kind of host I'll need for it. I don't want to spend a lot of money if I don't have to.

Chuck

15 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 08:09:26 (permalink)
    a difference between a VST host and a VSTi host
    It's common usage to have the term VST refer to both instrument (VSTi) and effect (VST). Here's a link to some free/cheap hosts. It's opinionated and not totally current, but it does have some more links in it to use as a jump-off point. If you look around this forum, there's references to running Dimension Pro inside a (third-party) standalone.

The first thing that came to mind for me was Magix, because it's available in electronics superstores. I've seen [Cakewalk]'s Kinetic recently for 30 bucks; I don't recall about the VSTi support. Kinetic 2 is about $60 USD on the street.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/03/16 08:18:22
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 11:24:54 (permalink)
    Solutions can be had at any price, one of the least cost solutions
    http://store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CWMC3.00-20E

If you just want to play the synth standalone
    http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm
    is free
    cfellows
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 11:51:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

a difference between a VST host and a VSTi host. It's common usage to have the term VST refer to both instrument (VSTi) and effect (VST).

Thanks for the reply, b rock. Does VSTi hosting require or imply some addition level of functionality required by Dimension Pro? Or would any VST host also run Dimension Pro?

cfellows
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 11:54:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: scook

Solutions can be had at any price, one of the least cost solutions
    http://store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CWMC3.00-20E

Thanks, scook. I don't see anywhere in the Music Creator site that it hosts other VST intruments or effects. How is someone who's inexperienced supposed to know which of these packages also host other VST modules?

Sorry for all the questions... As you've probably guessed, I'm a rank amateur with music software.

Chuck
    scook
    Forum Host
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 11:57:00 (permalink)
    Not all VST hosts can play VSTi. Do you have a specific host in mind? There is nothing special about DimensionPro as a VSTi compared to other VST instruments that would imposed requirements beyond what any other VSTi would need in a host.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 14:52:14 (permalink)
    after lookin at the specs I was confused too - Kinetic sez it supports "VST & DXi instruments and effects." Notice it doesn't say VSTi (i stands for instruments).

FYI - VST(i) is a steinberg standard, DX(i) was Microsoft's. Guess who won - VST. Both are a means to hook up your synths into a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). That allows the DAW (ie. your computer) to send midi to control the softsynth and gives the synth an output to your monitoring system.

I think Dimension comes in both flavors, but that might not be the case with a separate package. If you have the DXi version it is easy to hook into the cheapest DAW (music studio).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    scook
    Forum Host
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 15:12:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

after lookin at the specs I was confused too - Kinetic sez it supports "VST & DXi instruments and effects." Notice it doesn't say VSTi (i stands for instruments).
    I think Dimension comes in both flavors, but that might not be the case with a separate package. If you have the DXi version it is easy to hook into the cheapest DAW (music studio).

Kinetic can handle VSTi

DimPro does come in both VSTi and DXi
    cfellows
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 17:25:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help, everyone. So, assuming my budget allowed up to $150 or so, would Sonar be the VSTi host of choice or are there more popular packages I should be considering. The problem is, I don't know what what I want to do except be able to play with Dimension Pro. I may also want to try out some effects that Dimension Pro might not have although I don't know what those would be. I don't have any particular interest in recording, but that could change.

What do other folks in the FORUM like that's in my price range?

Chuck
    AT
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 17:49:04 (permalink)
    Scook (another texan, I see),

I figured someone would have the poop on that - the advert was worded in such a way as to make me suspicious ;-)

cfellows:

Sonar is somewhat more than that, so if you can find a copy for $150 that would be a great deal. Sonar Home Studio is about $100 and is very nice, as well as kinetic (which is more for loop based music like P5 rather than longer pieces of linear music). Download some Demos if you really want to research. You haven't let us know too much about what you want to do, so any info on your computer literacy and musical ambitions would help.

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    cfellows
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/16 23:47:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: AT

Sonar is somewhat more than that, so if you can find a copy for $150 that would be a great deal. Sonar Home Studio is about $100 and is very nice, as well as kinetic (which is more for loop based music like P5 rather than longer pieces of linear music). Download some Demos if you really want to research. You haven't let us know too much about what you want to do, so any info on your computer literacy and musical ambitions would help.

I know it's hard to know what to recommend if you don't know what a person's skills or ambitions are. I consider myself to be very computer literate. I've worked in computers for 40+ years, including a lot of programming. Having said that, I'm no match for the internals of Windows and I'm not up on a lot of the latest technology.

As far as musical ambitions, I like piano, strings, woodwinds, and orchestral sounds. I would like to experiment some with loops and arpeggiators and some degree of autoaccompaniment. Don't really know what else is out there.

By the way, does anyone know if Band in the Box hosts VSTi instruments (don't everybody laugh!)?

Chuck
    AT
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/17 00:18:13 (permalink)
    Chuck,

check out P5 - the demo. Its stregnth is using loops (either midi or audio). Grab a loop from the built in explorer, drag it to the timeline and pull out as many iterations as you want. Pull out a matching loop for variation on the same track (say two different drum loops). P5 will match the tempo (and/or the pitch for none drum loops). next, bass lines. Now you have a rhythm section going and you can add more instrumentation by playing live (either a keyboard into dimension or a real instrument via microphone) and record it either as a loop or as a whole performance (ie. lead guitar). That is a great way to do any music that uses a lot of repeating motifs - blues, pop, rock, techno, dance. You can also produce your own loops to use, of course.

If you are more into classical or jazz (or anything that depends less upon repetition of the same rhythmic sections), check out one of the more linear DAWs - SONAR, Home Studio etc.. SONAR etc. will match loops for tempo/pitch, just as P5 will let you record 30 minute guitar solos, but that is not what either does easiest.

Both P5 and SONAR Home Studio (I think) come with a CD chock full of audio loops as well as midi clips. Band in a box does something similar but not as well done (I think). So, even if you just want to plunk around it is nice to have something that is pro and also something you can upgrade. One of the nice things about sonar (and just about every other family out there) is if and as you upgrade you don't lose you original investment. I started out w/ a free promo copy of Plasma, upgraded to the paid version, then Home Studio, etc. At each step the money that you have already paid is just about taken off the price of the upgrade. You have dimention, so you are already eligable for the Cakewalk family discount. You'll have to look for the exact prices, but put down the money for either Kintec (p5 jr.) or Music creator (Sonar jr.). Either will let you figure out if you need more firepower.

cfellows
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/17 12:14:22 (permalink)

check out P5 - the demo. Its stregnth is using loops (either midi or audio). Grab a loop from the built in explorer, drag it to the timeline and pull out as many iterations as you want. Pull out a matching loop for variation on the same track (say two different drum loops). P5 will match the tempo (and/or the pitch for none drum loops). next, bass lines. Now you have a rhythm section going and you can add more instrumentation by playing live (either a keyboard into dimension or a real instrument via microphone) and record it either as a loop or as a whole performance (ie. lead guitar). That is a great way to do any music that uses a lot of repeating motifs - blues, pop, rock, techno, dance. You can also produce your own loops to use, of course.

Thanks, AT.

It looks like P5 includes Dimension Pro sounds. Does that mean I don't need Dimension Pro as a separate package if I buy P5?

Chuck
    cfellows
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/17 13:14:01 (permalink)
    I just found a large video on youtube that demos Dimension Pro. I see that it does a lot more than just provide a ton of sounds. The demo video had P5 as the host and that also looks great. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Chuck
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/17 13:14:28 (permalink)
    Does that mean I don't need Dimension Pro as a separate package if I buy P5?
    Dimension Pro is an upgrade to Project5's Dimension. Actually, you're better off (should you choose this host) in keeping Dimension Pro installed, and skipping over Project5's version during the installation. There's a clear point during the process where you can choose the option or not.
    Jesse Recinos [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: VSTi host for Dimension Pro 2007/03/21 15:17:39 (permalink)
    If you don't have Dimension Pro then you could buy Project5 v2 and get the version of Dimension that comes with it, try it out (the app and the instrument), and then either upgrade to Dimension Pro ($99 for P5 customers currently) or augment your setup with z3ta+, Rapture, etc...

Jesse
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1