VSTi's or DXi's for GM sounds & GM drum kits ?

Author
ramscapri
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2008/05/04 06:33:05 (permalink)

VSTi's or DXi's for GM sounds & GM drum kits ?

Hi all !

I need suggestions for good free VSTi's or DXi's to use inside SONAR LE to get
the same instrument sounds as the GM sounds and also GM drum kits.
I can use Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth but that cannot be bounced to
track or directly exported as an audio file which is a problem.

I know there is Dreamstation with SONAR LE and lots of other ones at kvraudio
and all but just not getting some sounds that I need like the 'seashore' in GM.
Suggestions on any plugins for such nature sounds like sea, waterfall cascades
would help too apart from of course the basic GM instruments & drum kits.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: VSTi's or DXi's for GM sounds & GM drum kits ? 2008/05/04 21:48:31 (permalink)
    If your SONAR LE was bundled with Edirol equipment you may have the Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas on your installation discs as well. If that option is available to you use it--its free and will work.

The next thing to try is an advanced search for General MIDI software synthesizers at KVR Audio synth database. Here is a search ready made--just click follow this link to get the search results: Free and Commercial General MIDI Software Synths.
    ramscapri
    RE: VSTi's or DXi's for GM sounds & GM drum kits ? 2008/05/15 04:16:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info & links Bob.

The Edirol Sound Canvas just doesnt seem to be on the driver disc that came with my UA-25.
    Maybe I am not looking at the right location. Would you know which folder it would be in ?
    Or do you know where I could download it for free from the net ?

Anyways, I did download some synths and they work inside SONAR LE, only thing most of them
    seem to be very heavy and take a lot of time to open.

Thanks once again.
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: VSTi's or DXi's for GM sounds & GM drum kits ? 2008/05/15 15:24:45 (permalink)
    You should download the free soundfont player from rgc:audio: http://www.project5.com/products/instruments/sfz_player/default.asp
    Once you have it you can load any soundfont into it. Just search: free+gm+soundfont in google and you should find a lot, some really great, some not equally great so it's trial and error.

For nature sounds you could also check out xoxo's free nature VST.
    post edited by Legion - 2008/05/15 15:45:48

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    ramscapri
    RE: VSTi's or DXi's for GM sounds & GM drum kits ? 2008/05/21 09:31:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link Legion.

I downloaded sfz and it works fine with SONAR LE. And yes, as you said, many free soundfonts are
    available but not all of them are very good. Moreover, I realised that with some of them, we gotta
    be really careful cause they have loud and screeching sounds generated which could hurt the ears
    and also cause too much load on the speakers.
    Wonder if there's any free software for creating sf2 files.

Thanks once again.
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: VSTi's or DXi's for GM sounds & GM drum kits ? 2008/05/23 06:13:58 (permalink)
    Here is a link to Vienna Soundfont Studio, a free program to create soundfonts from your samples:
    http://asia.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?DriverLang=1033&searchString=VieSFM_PCApp_LB_2_40_60.exe&x=15&y=16&details=1

Here is a tutorial about how to use it:
    http://www.soundblaster.com/soundfont/tutorials/welcome.asp?articleid=54142&page=1

I haven't used it myself but think you would be able to use the created soundfonts in sfz.
    post edited by Legion - 2008/05/23 06:15:16

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1