V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things?

Author
Tarantella
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2016/04/15 18:10:15 (permalink)

V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things?

This is... a very weird and strangely specific problem.  Late last year, my V-Studio 20 audio interface just up and stopped working.  After re-installing the drivers to no success, I had presumed the worst and decided that it probably died because I used it quite often.  I have three different computers.  One that runs Windows 10, one that runs Windows 8, and another that runs Windows Vista.  Just to make sure the computer wasn't the issue, I tried it on each of them, and each and every time, Windows makes a sound indicating that it's found a new USB connection, but the device itself refuses to light up and none of my DAW's recognize the MIDI drivers or the Effects driver (making the VS-20 editor software frankly useless at this point, which is a shame because I quite like the amp sims included in that).

Earlier this year, I received an Android tablet.   Out of some morbid curiosity, I decided to plug various things into the USB input just to see what would work.  For some reason, I decided to try the V-Studio 20, which I had still lying around despite not using it.  To my surprise, it works flawlessly well on my tablet.  It lights up punctually and the DAW I installed on it recognizes it and records from it without any hassle.  More recently, I purchased a new hard drive for my old laptop and installed Ubuntu.  Again, out of curiosity, I tried to plug in the V-Studio 20 and it worked.

To finally rule out any possible doubt that the operating system was the problem, I ran a demo of Ubuntu on my Vista computer (which, if you'll recall, did not recognize the device earlier) and... it worked.

So basically, for some reason, my V-Studio 20 seems to have become self aware to the point where it refuses to work on ANY computer that runs ANY version of Windows.  That's... extremely weird.  I have never had a piece of hardware be that selective.

Sorry for the extremely verbose rant; I just wanted to give a detailed idea as to the kind of difficulty I'm having and the steps I've taken to test the problem.  If anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix this issue, that would be greatly appreciated.

9 Replies Related Threads

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2016/04/21 14:44:40 (permalink)
    windows driver I suspect?

v studio is not supported anymore for win10, but for win 7 and win 8 there are official drivers. did you check which version of the driver is installed on each PC? download the most recent ones, uninstall any there might be and reinstall only the last official

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Tarantella
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2016/04/22 01:29:13 (permalink)
    It's not a driver issue as far as I'm aware.

I only installed the drivers that were suitable for the respective operating system (Windows 8 drivers for 8 and Vista for Vista, etc.) - The VS-20 worked for awhile on my Windows 10 machine using the Windows 8.1 drivers before it just decided to stop working on ANY OS aside from Linux and Android.  It's the fact that it doesn't work on ANY Windows device, regardless of operating system that's strange to me.
    AlanSJackson
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2016/04/23 15:33:40 (permalink)
    Feel for you here. I loved my V-Studio 20, but had to part ways for similar reasons. Fine under Win 7, a bit shaky and temperamental under 8.1. Partial functionality in Win 10 with the 8.1 driver modded. Gave up in the end. I think the added complication of USB 3. 0 also contributed. I use a Zoom UAC-2 now and I'm really happy on the audio front, but I do miss the V-Studio 20 DAW control, I have some compensation from a Roland A-300 Pro keyboard, but I never use it for Sonar for some reason.

Roland should be shot for the poor support of these products, barely 5 years old.

Tarantella
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2016/04/23 23:43:50 (permalink)
    Yeah, the thing that bugs me the most is honestly the lack of DAW control.  Most MIDI control surfaces that aren't absolute tat tend to be pricey, but I absolutely HATE mixing with a mouse and while some praise the Faderport, it really doesn't do it for me.  Especially since I do live mixing work with 64-channel mixers outside of the studio, and that sort of simplicity has really spoiled me, and makes it especially frustrating now that I'm actually releasing music on a much more consistent basis and would now benefit tremendously from having something to ease the mixing process.

These days, I use an AVID Fast Track Duo, an interface I can't say I recommend due to its general lack of stability but can still say that the audio quality is significantly better than the V-Studio 20.  But I would still very much love it if I could find a way to get my unit to work on Windows again like it works on Linux for some odd reason.  As a backup if nothing else.
    AlanSJackson
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2016/04/24 18:23:08 (permalink)
    Think I'm gonna try out a touch screen monitor, or perhaps a pad as a second screen with the controls on the pad,

Tarantella
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2016/04/25 00:17:21 (permalink)
    Yeah, that might work.  I don't know if it would work the same as an analogue console, though, since you're just using your finger to substitute mouse movements, so things like simultaneous fader movement or soloing might not work.
    Tarantella
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2016/05/02 11:37:49 (permalink)
    Update: I tried it on a friend's Mac the other day.

And it worked.

So I'm convinced that this unit has become self-aware and has deep-seeded hatred for Microsoft, and thus has decided to go on a hunger strike in order to boycott the brand.  I'm completely at a loss here.  It doesn't work on ANYTHING with Windows on it, no matter what OS it is, even if it USED to work on it fine.

Is this 2001: A Space Odyssey?
    MaretichMusic
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2017/04/30 04:54:41 (permalink)
    I just bought a new computer especially for my v studio 20 as the old computer was long in the tooth. I now can not install the drivers....... 
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: V-Studio 20 Unit No Longer Works on Any Windows OS? Works on Other Things? 2017/04/30 15:34:24 (permalink)
    The procedure for installing in Win10 is tricky:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3206046
    Other then that, it works fine (as far as other Edirol/Roland audio interfaces...). Avoid USB3 and USB hubs (the later can work, but not every and not always).

This particular thread point to some other problem, unclear which (since it was not solved and other had no such behavior).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1