V-Studio routing issues

Author
Audiodog
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2009/06/05 21:43:09 (permalink)

V-Studio routing issues

Hi guys, I'm a new member here and wanted to throw a couple of questions at you guys. I'm switching my small commercial studio over from a Roland VS-2480 based rig to the V-Studio 700 system and am experiencing a few growing pains to say the least. A couple of my initial problems are 1) trying to setup two (or more) headphone mixes to my studio rooms, and 2) trying to assign track outputs and busses to multiple outputs. Specifically, I want to have my Mackie control room monitors fed from the VS700 main outs and my subwoofer fed from the sub outs. I can get one or the other, but can't figure out how to have the main mix or duplicates of the main mix fed to multiple outputs at the same time. I know I'm missing something, just can't find it. Seems like Jeff addressed this once before, not sure.

6 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: V-Studio routing issues 2009/06/05 22:29:57 (permalink)
    The best way to get signals to address more than one output at the same time is to create another Buss. For example if you have got tracks all ending up on the Master buss, you are sending the Master buss output to say MAIN as you would in order to hear it. But you might want to send that final mix out to a digital output as well. The way to do it is to create another Buss and call it Digital Out. Then create sends on the Master buss and send those to the Digital Out Buss. Then assign the Digital Out Buss to the Digital Outs. You have control over levels too.

You can use this approach for your various headphone mixes as well. Lets create a phone mix Buss and call it Headphone Mix 2. Inside Sonar send the tracks you want to this buss. Then assign that Phone Mix Buss out to say SUB or Analog 1 and 2 or Analog 3 and 4 etc. You could set up 4 independant stereo headphone mixes that way. Make a template of these things so you dont have to do it every time as well.

Sonar can be very creative in how it send thnigs to various outputs.

Now with your Subwoofer a similar approach would be to create a SUB WOOF Buss. Assign this to an output (any output but you only need one obviously) Create sends on your Master buss and send those to the SUB WOOF Buss. Good thing about this is you could insert the Low pass Filter here and you have got control over level as well. But with a SUB I would be more inclined to attach an active crossover on the outputs you intend to monitor from. (usually MAIN) Let that split the audio into High and Low registers. Then you dont have to every worry about it again. The volume to the woofer will always be in snyc with your main monitors. Does your Sub have any crossover provisions as well?

Hope that helps.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Audiodog
    RE: V-Studio routing issues 2009/06/06 08:43:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. Ya, that all makes perfect sense, but I guess my question should have been more specific as to exactly how to to assign the tracks to the new busses or outputs. Where is the page I go to to set those output assignments? My subwoofer is active, so once I get a signal to it I can tweak levels, crossover point, etc.
    Audiodog
    RE: V-Studio routing issues 2009/06/06 16:36:05 (permalink)
    Okay, I figured it out. Right click the tracks/busses to create a new send.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: V-Studio routing issues 2009/06/06 19:39:49 (permalink)
    Like many things, once you figure it out it is easy. It can be a little confusing at first with virtual sends going to hardware outs and trying to find them.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: V-Studio routing issues 2009/07/17 20:34:15 (permalink)
    You can also do it from the console. I/O control button-assign input and output-rotary encoder I beleive that's the order. It may be just assign-rotary encoder.

Craig DuBuc
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: V-Studio routing issues 2009/07/17 20:51:01 (permalink)
    One thing I have noticed about sending anything to the SUB buss is that the output level there is also still dependant on the setting on the monitor volume control. I was sending some stuff to the sub buss recently and wondering why I was not hearing it. But the signal was actually there all the time. Just very low. As you turn up that monitor control the output really ramps up at the last minute.

Actually be careful with the MAIN and SUB outputs in terms of the monitor volume control. It can really send some serious level to your active monitors if you are a bit hasty in turning it.

It is better to send any sub mixes to either VS700R 1-2 etc through to 9 - 10. (or digital 1 and 2 of course) That way the signal is at full level (ie 0dbu or so) all the time and not dependant on any control setting. (It is dependant on the bus level control though but we are at unity there most of the time)

And to Audiodog I think the best approach is if the VS2480 gives you grief while connected to the VS700R then completely remove the VS2480 from your thinking. (Sonar with the V Studio can do everything and more than the VS2480) Unless it can be integrated really well with the VS700R, you are better off not having it at all. The VS700R likes really to be the main interface attached to your mchine. Its OK because it does such a great job of that function anyway. But like Craig, there could be a way to just get your VS2480 slaving somehow to the VS700R so it just gives you the extra inputs and brings them in under Digital 2. And send back to the 2480 for any sub mixing and or use of effects processing. I have got my Yamaha digital mixer working well now being able to send to it and get signals back and all digital too.

But I would like to say Audiodog has done some great sounding music composing and production with the VS 2480 so its only going to get better for you fully under Sonar. The V Studio is the perfect extension of the VS2480 type concept.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/07/18 04:08:43

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1