V-Vocal problem.

Author
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
2011/02/03 00:58:59 (permalink)

V-Vocal problem.

Hi all,

I loaded an 8.5 x64 project in to X1 x86 tonight. Did a bunch of editing, everything went well.

I have a vocal track with some V-Vocal editing on it, and I noticed V-Vocal wasn't working. I opened VV and tried to make some changes and nothing happened, but the clip played ok. So, I removed VV and then re-added it thinking that maybe there was some difference in it between 8.5 and X1. As soon as I did this I'm now getting a terrible phasing sound on the clip. I didn't make any changed to VV, it's at default settings.

I tried adding it to another clip that didn't have vv on it previously, and it did the same thing.

Is this a bug in VV, has anyone else run in to this?

Thanks,

Bub
post edited by Bub - 2011/02/03 01:00:14

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."

8 Replies Related Threads

guitarmikeh
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    Re:V-Vocal problem. 2011/02/03 02:35:24 (permalink)
    no I haven't, nor have I used vv extensively.
    have you deleted the first instances of VV?
    I would open track layers and delete them. (sometimes/ most-times , for me this leaves the original vocal muted, un-mute them and rebuild the layers) then try it again. sorry I don't have anymore suggestions for you bub.

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:V-Vocal problem. 2011/02/03 09:34:34 (permalink)
    Bub

Hi all,

I loaded an 8.5 x64 project in to X1 x86 tonight. Did a bunch of editing, everything went well.

I have a vocal track with some V-Vocal editing on it, and I noticed V-Vocal wasn't working. I opened VV and tried to make some changes and nothing happened, but the clip played ok. So, I removed VV and then re-added it thinking that maybe there was some difference in it between 8.5 and X1. As soon as I did this I'm now getting a terrible phasing sound on the clip. I didn't make any changed to VV, it's at default settings.

I tried adding it to another clip that didn't have vv on it previously, and it did the same thing.

Is this a bug in VV, has anyone else run in to this?

Thanks,

Bub

After editing, do you bounce to clips?  If you do, that should end your problems, hopefully.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:V-Vocal problem. 2011/02/03 10:15:15 (permalink)
    Lynn - I don't think Bub is able to even do any editing so bouncing the clip won't matter at this point. Unless you are suggesting he open it in 8.5 and bounce the clip down there so V-Vocal isn't required in X1 :)

Bub: I can see you tried it on different clips, but have you tried it on a new (different) project in X1? Can you create a new project and just import a clip and see if it works fresh? That could determine if it's a V-Vocal issue, or a project related issue.

I'm using X1 x86 and although I use Melodyne most of the time, I did try V-Vocal and it seemed to be fine. All I remember most about V-Vocal is you need to bounce it once your editing is done - or you "may" lose all your hard work.

post edited by codamedia - 2011/02/03 10:20:05

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:V-Vocal problem. 2011/02/03 10:33:59 (permalink)
    Bub, there is a characteristic phasing-like sound associated with V-Vocal.  I've seen it mentioned in V-Vocal threads in the past, and I definitely hear it myself.  You'll open up a clip in V-Vocal, and even before you do any work, the audio has been slightly phased.

You definitely need to bounce to clip directly after doing V-Vocal editing, so the plug-in is no longer in the project, and your editing work is safe.  ---But the slight phasing sound can often be heard here and there in the rendered results.

This is the same problem that existed in 8.5, by the way.

Randy B.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:V-Vocal problem. 2011/02/03 10:47:32 (permalink)
    I use V-Vocal quite a lot. I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't get problems with it.

I can't say I've used the combination that you have though so that might be an issue/cause. I never started any projects in 8.5, mainly because I took the upgrade offer. I have edited 8.3 projects in 8.5 and now X1 without v-vocal problems (or that one anyway).

I've been on x64 both OS & Sonar since 8.3. I've never tried opening a x64 project in x32 environment.

I know that's not much help, just reporting my experience with the x64/x32 side of it in case that's a contributing factor.

One problem I do have in X1 with V-vocal, is if I open a project with an active instance of V-Vocal in it I have to make sure all other projects are closed. If not V-Vocal flatlines the active affected track and no audio is heard. I've not had any 'terrible phasing' issues. More the odd glitch if I get too extreme with it.
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:V-Vocal problem. 2011/02/03 10:52:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input everyone.

I created a new project like codamedia suggested and I'm not getting the phasing sound even when I make pitch adjustments. It must be something with the project I'm working with. I was just going to open it in 8.5 and bounce the vv tracks then I realized I don't have 8.5 installed anymore. Doh!

I've read about the phasing problems in vv too but never experienced them myself. I've never even had to bounce down my vv clips, it's always worked very well for me in 8.5. Maybe this problem will go away with the X1b patch.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:V-Vocal problem. 2011/02/03 11:27:49 (permalink)
    Bub

I didn't make any changed to VV, it's at default settings.

Bub, one of the tricks to using V-Vocal successfully is turning the "pitch follow" dial from 100 (which is the default) to 0.  I've found this eliminates that phasey sound some people get.  And, it's been recommended many times to bounce to clips once you're satisfied with your edits.  For the record, I find that V-Vocal is as good as any pitch correction software when used in this manner.  Hope this helps in the future.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:V-Vocal problem. 2011/02/03 11:34:11 (permalink)
    Lynn

Bub, one of the tricks to using V-Vocal successfully is turning the "pitch follow" dial from 100 (which is the default) to 0...

Hey, neat, Lynn - I don't remember reading that advice before, about turning the pitch follow off.  I'll do that--Thanks!---

I do remember that when someone mentioned the phasey sound, even before edits were done, I couldn't relate to the problem - but then I finally heard it myself.  It hasn't been a huge problem, just a subtle phasing on a few scattered notes.  Better not to have it at all, of course, so I appreciate getting this tip.

Bub, like you, I never had a problem just leaving the V-Vocals un-bounced, but to avoid potential problems, I've made it a habit to work on a clip, then bounce when satisfied, and it makes me not worry about it - also frees up a bit of CPU power.  Since the original unedited clips are still there in the project, muted, I could always re-do if I decide later I don't like what I've done.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1