Vector Mixer

Author
Kelsin
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
2006/06/15 16:01:43 (permalink)

Vector Mixer

In dimension and rapture does the XY Matrix respond to certain control values initially?

Just to point out why: I have a korg PadKontrol, and I can use it's touch pad with ANY Midi CC messages I want. I know I can midi learn the exact parameters, or even assign CC's to certain things in the midi matrix, but a lot of patches use the vector mixer by default and I was wondering if there were certain CC messages that it would respond to for those stock patches.

Chris

6 Replies Related Threads

Shayne White
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: Vector Mixer 2006/06/15 16:16:29 (permalink)
    I'd like to know too. As far as I can tell, the Vector mixer can't be controlled by anything but a mouse (which I don't find too useful). I assume there would have to be two different CC's the Vector Mixer would respond to, for X and Y.

One feature that I miss from CreamWare's Vectron (which is a vector wavetable synth, but with lots of aliasing) is the vector mixer being able to be controlled by internal sources, like envelopes and LFOs. I wish there were such a feature in Rapture.

Hey: new features can always be added!

I've tried to mimic that kind of thing with the Amp step sequencers, but it's hard to reproduce a vector quad crossfade.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Vector Mixer 2006/06/15 16:41:53 (permalink)
    does the XY Matrix respond to certain control values initially?
    No, you just have to convince it to. The X & Y parameters are exposed as DX Automation parameters. Desaccel is also exposed; it's called X/Y Acceleration there. As to the specifics on how to get there, that's going to be host-dependent. I'll describe it in Project5 (Sonar is similar):

In the Track Inspector, click on the right-pointing arrow to display the assignable 'widgets'. Right-click on one of them, and select DX Automation. Burrow down until you find parameters labeled 'X", "Y", and "X/Y Accelleration". There's a lot of parameters to weed through, and the targeted ones will be located in different spots on the DXi & VSTi versions.

Get one of those assigned in a single 'widget', and repeat the process for the other. Right-click again on a 'widget', and select MIDI Remote Control. Select the Learn button, and manipulate the X axis of your pad. Repeat the process using the other 'widget' for the Y axis. Certain types of behavior are modified in your controller itself. For example, my Novation pad can be programmed for No Spring (the axis remains where you dropped it), Spring Left ( the cursor will snap to a zero point), or Spring Center (it snaps to the middle crosshairs in DP/RP's X-Y Pad).
    Kelsin
    RE: Vector Mixer 2006/06/15 19:06:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

does the XY Matrix respond to certain control values initially?
    No, you just have to convince it to. The X & Y parameters are exposed as DX Automation parameters. Desaccel is also exposed; it's called X/Y Acceleration there. As to the specifics on how to get there, that's going to be host-dependent. I'll describe it in Project5 (Sonar is similar):

In the Track Inspector, click on the right-pointing arrow to display the assignable 'widgets'. Right-click on one of them, and select DX Automation. Burrow down until you find parameters labeled 'X", "Y", and "X/Y Accelleration". There's a lot of parameters to weed through, and the targeted ones will be located in different spots on the DXi & VSTi versions.

Get one of those assigned in a single 'widget', and repeat the process for the other. Right-click again on a 'widget', and select MIDI Remote Control. Select the Learn button, and manipulate the X axis of your pad. Repeat the process using the other 'widget' for the Y axis. Certain types of behavior are modified in your controller itself. For example, my Novation pad can be programmed for No Spring (the axis remains where you dropped it), Spring Left ( the cursor will snap to a zero point), or Spring Center (it snaps to the middle crosshairs in DP/RP's X-Y Pad).

Makes sense, at least their exposed and can be controlled!

Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Vector Mixer 2006/06/15 23:30:30 (permalink)
    the Vector mixer can't be controlled by anything but a mouse

It's not that widely advertised but the creator once said that it works with a gamepad plugged into your computer too.
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Vector Mixer 2006/06/16 08:25:47 (permalink)
    I remember something along those lines too. One of those joystick controls for games might work? I don't do games and I have drawn in the XY automation. But that is not as precise as using a joystick and recording that onto you track.
    Kelsin
    RE: Vector Mixer 2006/06/16 10:34:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lawapa

I remember something along those lines too. One of those joystick controls for games might work? I don't do games and I have drawn in the XY automation. But that is not as precise as using a joystick and recording that onto you track.

God, if only I sitll had a joystick, ever since mouse+keyboard gained popularity I haven't used one for games!

I ONLY use these synths in Sonar and Project 5 though. Project 5 makes this EASY as b-rock explained and even Sonar can do it, so I'll just map the controller from the Korg into the automation inputs for the synth, not really an issue thankfully.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1