Venus Butterfly

Author
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
2010/07/23 16:04:32 (permalink)

Venus Butterfly

Fans of the old TV series LA Law will recognize the subject line as that of an amusing subplot that spanned several episodes … but that’s not what this is about.  I just couldn’t resist using it here.

I sing in the chorus of a regional opera company, The Festival Opera in Walnut Creek CA.  The first opera of our season was that old warhorse Madame Butterfly.  The US synchronized swimming team trains in Santa Clara, about 30 minutes south of Walnut Creek (in light traffic).  Their manager contacted ours saying that the team is working on a routine using music from Madame Butterfly and expressed an interest in bringing the team to see a performance.  Our manager responded with an offer to comp them tickets if they’d participate in a publicity photo shoot prior to the performance.

Members of the cast were invited to come up on stage and take part.  I couldn’t resist the opportunity to have my picture taken with people who might actually pariticapte in the Olympics, so naturally I showed up.  I was expecting to see a group of young, very buff women.  What I wasn’t prepared for was the fact that half of them were eye-popping, jaw-dropping gorgeous … and they were dressed to the nines to boot.

In the picture below, there’re just a couple of lowly 2nd tenors from the chorus and the team, plus the Suzuki character (Butterfly’s maid and BFF).  That’s me with the yellow headband.

In this one, most of the principals are included.  Standing on the floor (left to right) are Sharpless (bass extraordinaire Phillip Skinner) , the two coaches, Cio Cio San (Butterfly, sung by a wonderful soprano named Teresa Eickel), the team manager, Suzuki, a lady from the chorus and the despicable Pinkerton (tenor Christopher Bengochea, not yet in costume).

The women were all very polite and enthusiastic about seeing the performance, although it was clear none of them new anything about opera.  After the show, I was standing near the stage door with some friends from the audience.  Several of the team members walked by and one of our group asked them which music they’d be using.  The response: "the aria".  Hmmm … that really narrows it down.

In an online review of the production (the website Opera Tattler), the reviewer observed:

"The person behind me in Row J Seat 112 of the orchestra snapped her gum during much of Acts II and III, but was mercifully quiet during the big numbers, including the Humming Chorus."

I’m pretty sure the guilty party would be the tall blond near the center of the ladies on the bridge.

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Venus Butterfly 2010/07/23 16:26:26 (permalink)
    Cool.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Venus Butterfly 2010/07/23 17:40:24 (permalink)
    So do you all get to go watch them practice now?  :-)
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Venus Butterfly 2010/07/23 18:23:15 (permalink)
    Or at least get to see them in their costumes?
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Venus Butterfly 2010/07/23 19:32:18 (permalink)
    Janet

So do you all get to go watch them practice now?  :-)

Don't I wish!. 

Actually, I probably will watch sync. swimming if it shows up on ESPN or whatever.  The competitions are not a widely broadcast apart from the Olympics every four years.

Somebody asked the group how they felt about Martin Short ... there was no response (realistically, they're all a bit too young to know who he is).  However, when asked about the famous SNL sync. swimming skit (that featured Mr. Short), one of them replied "it follows us around like a curse!".
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Venus Butterfly 2010/07/23 19:35:45 (permalink)
    Yeah, you don't see sync. swimming very often.  But they're not just beauties.  Those girls are athletes!  I haven't watched it often, but I was amazed at how long they can stay underwater and do all those amazing stunts.  And besides that, do it all in perfect sync.  Wow.
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Venus Butterfly 2010/07/23 20:11:51 (permalink)
    Hi,

Nice ... very nice picture too!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1