Verse and Chorus Dilemmas

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2009/09/30 23:54:53 (permalink)

Verse and Chorus Dilemmas

Any of you ponder verse vs. chorus strategies (for, say, pop-rock or such)?  If so, please share any of your thoughts (great or small).  I'm not too bright in this domain.

I've a song or 2 ...
The 2 seem to flip-flop: verse morphs into chorus and chorus becomes verse ... ?!?!

The problem occurs when I combine 2 song melodies into a similar groove and beat.

... and I'm probably violating pop hook-paradigms ...

(I even (painstakingly) re-arranged to a more traditional verse-chorus predictability ... but the song seemed none-the-better for 'fixing' it.)

'Just please share some of your thoughts on verse vs. chorus.  Thanks in advance!

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

22 Replies Related Threads

Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/01 03:27:14 (permalink)
    ... and I'm probably violating pop hook-paradigms ...

So? If you re-invent the game then that's just a good thing aint it?

The September issue of Computer Music had a pretty interesting article (nothing really new but good pointers and examples) on p. 53 that I think you'd appreciate. Se if you can get a hold of it. Otherwise the article might just pop up at musicradar in a while, CM articles tend to.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/01 08:13:10 (permalink)
    When verses and choruses start to morph into one another it's time to dump something and get a fresh perspective.

Quite simply...in the songwriting world, a verse and a chorus should be quite different.  The verse tends to tell a story and generally in three parts.... the chorus is the part that ties it all together and even lifts the energy level of the song a few degrees.

Bob Dylan tended to write quite a few tunes with no perceptable chorus....(The times they are a changing... Tangled up in blue....IIRC) it just goes on and on. A chorus also gives a break to the monotony of the verses as in the Dylan songs. Not critisizing Dylans writing at all.... he had a number of big hits with that style......try it today and I don't think it would work.

I'd have to look back through my Taxi reviews, but one of the reviews commented that the chorus was "too similar to the verse in structure" and that I should look at a rewrite to differentiate it a bit more.

The chorus of the song is often where you find the melodic and lyrical hook...and most listeners...(the average non-musician...), when asked to "sing a song" and given the title, will naturally start in the chorus.....not the verse.

So.... how can you "shake it up" a bit when you're stuck in a morphing rut?

Lets say you are writing a song in "C"..... lets say that the verses all begin with the root chord C.  When you get to the chorus...DO NOT start with a C. Try one of the following...... Am    or    F    or    G    or.... experiment and get a chord other than C. This will put you on a path that is immediately different from the path of the verse...and you will be forced to find the melodic path through this new chord progression.  ALSO...pay close attention to the chorus melody line...regardless of the chords..... be absolutely certain that it is sufficiently different from the verse.

Using another Dylan song to illistrate this.... Blowin in the Wind..... verses are C ... F ... and G   How many roads must a man walk down....... until the short chorus.... The answer my friend, is blowin in the wind..... it goes to F...G...C..Am....  different chords...different melody...and the hook is in that short chorus.  Mention that song to people who have heard it...and they'll go..." Oh yeah" and start singing... " The answer my friend...."

So yeah the verse & chorus need to be different...and there are several ways to get this done. I like to use a different chord to start the chorus and or bridge......

My 2 centavos.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/01 12:42:12 (permalink)

I'm giving the pop music scene a lot of thought. There
    may be a lot of it I don't consider great stuff. Actually 
    I only like a small percentage but I could say that about
    all the styles/ genres of music.

I think your ( or it seems that way) seeing yourself
    from a different perspective now than before. You do
    have a distinctive style of the way you put things together.
    Is this is why the morphing is happening?

Are you seeing music from a painters angle? If I'm correct
    a painting doesn't have a start/end/verse/chorus etc.

Of course a song and painting both "emotion". What if
    you look at your verses as having less or a different
    "emotion" than the chorus?

Look at verses as being descriptive?
      Chorus as being validating?

There may be a particular way your mind prefers the
    outcome to be and that could be both a benefit or setback.
    If I'm correct an  AABA song has no chorus.
    IT's    verse
              verse
              bridge
              verse
       The "last line " in the verses are the "title" to the song
    Songs have so many aspects to them. Although a songs
    content can be very simple the creating may be quite complex.
    How did those Greeks build those buildings in ancient times
    that we still can't figure out today?

Here is what I try to (or want to) accomplish in writing.
    Each and every little part of the song must stand on its
    own. This is why I'm not writing much lately..

If I write a song and all it is is just another song I don't
    feel fulfilled. So does a person go by rules then and follow
    standards? I've got and read books and books on lyrics
    (on the subject of lyrics that is). I really don't know what to
    make of what I learned in doing so.

Almost every time I hear a song that is awesome I'll
    know that it's going to be in the first 2 seconds of the vocs
    and/or intro. This leads me to think that this phenomenon
    is due to the fact that this "start" paves the way.

Once the writer is in a certain mode or mindset maybe
    the things that follow are the result of the direction headed.
    hence verse chorus or bridge and such. In my writing
    the very start of the writing process seems to always
    determine what follows.

If we compare this to watching an interview of a husband
    and wife on a given subject it becomes clear that watching
    an interview of this type makes the story much more
    interesting. The man says this and the woman says that.

Verse chorus

they talk about the same thing but the presentation is
    unique to the person. (In this case the song)

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/01 14:00:46 (permalink)

...share some of your thoughts on verse vs. chorus.

Somebody's bound to say it: if it sounds good, it is good.

Personally, I have a very hard time sticking to the conventional V-C-V-C format, even when I intend to.

For example, I am a fan of sections (sometimes they qualify as a "bridge", sometimes more of a "chasm") that have nothing to do musically with either verse or chorus, more like an interlude or side exploration. That includes refrains and extended endings that stand alone as mini-songs within a song (think "na-na-na-na-na-na" at the end of Hey Jude or the "she's so heavyyyy" at the end of "I Want You" on Abbey Road).

Another technique I often employ is picking up the tempo on the chorus. It doesn't have to be much, just going from 58 BPM to 60BPM lends a dynamic lift even if the listener isn't consciously aware of what just happened. This minor subtlety helps differentiate the verse and chorus even if they are melodically and/or rhythmically similar.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2009/10/01 14:01:53

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/01 14:18:50 (permalink)
    Just a note that all songs don't necessarily have a 'chorus' but a hook at either the openning or closing of the verse which is the 'gist' of the song...(like Jimmy mentioned)    Others use a chorus. (example: She Loves You has a chorus and A Hard Days Night has a tag hook) ....basically, what i've learned  is that if you want a kind of catchy song : 
    I sometimes write a song, keep the chorus...... and then throw the rest of the song out and make a new song with the chorus as the verse so now it's higher octane  and packed with more options.
    Remember that song "What's New Pussycat?" written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David....it sounds like 3 chorus's strung together with the longest 'chorus' serving as a verse (as the lyrics change in that section).
    So 'verse' and 'chorus' are relative to the song.  one man's chorus is another man's verse.
    post edited by No How - 2009/10/02 10:06:21

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 11:21:41 (permalink)
    No How

Just a note that all songs don't necessarily have a 'chorus' but a hook at either the openning or closing of the verse which is the 'gist' of the song...(like Jimmy mentioned)
    Lately I've been listening to a lot of old standards, and most of them seem to take that approach. "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong, "Johnny Be Good" or any 12bar blues tune, etc.

The verse/chorus breakup seemed to crop up when rock'n'roll hit the scene in the 50s, and that's how the game's been played ever since. A few folks stuck to the old way, like Jimi Hendrix whose songs AFAIK never had a true chorus but were amazing & popular nonetheless. Zeppelin had choruses maybe 50% of the time. Still, you can't deny the power of a really good chorus when it hits you.

This is a good topic for me because for the last few weeks I've been stuck at the chorus part of a song with no ideas. Maybe I ought to just forget the chorus and move on to the theramin solo.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 11:44:30 (permalink)
    You've already got some great songwriters who have responded. I used to write a lot of "songs", got to where I hated them all, started writing mostly instrumentals; now I'm back to wanting to write "songs" more.  Here are some things I think about on the whole verse/chorus thing (just questions - the answers depend on the song...)

* Does it need a pre-chorus to get you from point A to point B; or do you just go straight into the chorus?
    * Do you want the chorus to get bigger, smaller, or just different?
    * How (if at all) is the emotion changing, and what would help pull this off? If the verses are more minor, do you want to go to a relative major chord to start the chorus? Do you want the beat to be double-time, etc? Going to the 4th (for example, verse is in C, go to F for the chorus) seems to be used a lot.
    * Do you do the full chorus every time? For my last song, I started out with a 1/2 chorus the first time around. Sometimes later in the song you might want to do the chorus 2x.
    * A lot of pop songs seem to start with the chorus. I don't think I've ever actually done this. But as mentioned above, that's what most listeners will remember from a song. And since most listeners want instant gratification, I guess that makes sense.

I'll definitely be watching this thread because it looks like it's going to have some great ideas...

bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 11:48:30 (permalink)
    I don't worry about it too much. I just follow the trail I'm getting led down.

Byron Dickens
    Philip
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 13:08:14 (permalink)
    Legion: Thanks, I tried to find that ... and may look again later. I realize chorus and verse is different per artists ... as per Jimmy.
    G-Hacker: Some excellent and awesome stuff you've posted: I see you also really feel my concern for pop-structure and mass-audience-appeal (for relatively trans-genre pop or such). Also, you use Taxi to get new insights, inspirations, and/or strategies.
    The morphing dilemmas, the short chorus-hook, the grabbing-catch-all being in a short chorus-hook (and or 1st verse).
    You state possibly using chord substs. in the chorus (or, methinks keep minor substs. in the verse).
    I suppose the chorus (for pop ABABCA stuff) should, as a rule, have fewer minor substs. for listener (and singer) memory's sake ... or a sort of quick-summary/conclusion hook.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrain:

A refrain is often a two line repeated lyrical statement commenting on the preceding verse, for example:
    "Like a bridge over troubled water I will lay me down.
    Like a bridge over troubled water I will lay me down"
    or
    "The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
    The answer is blowin' in the wind".
    or
    "All the lonely people, where do they all come from?
    All the lonely people, where do they all belong?"
    This contrasts with the chorus of a typical modern pop song, which is very often more than just one repeated line, for example:
    "Do you believe in life after love
    I can feel something inside me say
    I really don't think you're strong enough, no
    Do you believe in life after love?
    I can feel something inside me say
    I really don't think you're strong enough, no".

Jimmy: Thank you for addressing this on a personal and pop level. Pop songs seem sort of a noble goal for all singers, methinks ... or at least songs which touch 25% of a target population. Pop songs seem dreadfully lacking here on song-forum, IMHO. We get too Spock-like and complicated in our words.
    Ha! You know my persona. Yeah, I am a Frenchy painter; focusing on: the balanced portrait (head, hands) (aka, the main element), the whole at the expense of the parts ... a well-rounded continuation/coherence, coloration, timbre, strong feelings, passion, etc. I suppose many of us think the same.
    IIRC: AACA is a format that I've fallen into on several songs (C for bridge, not chorus, here). That middle-bridge becomes a sub-song ... pushing the song toward ballad-story-telling. This is a turn-off for pop. Ballads get so doleful and forgetful. Its time to simplify my pre-choruses and refrains.
    Doubtless the sins and imperfections of us complex artists are a problem. But your solutions offer some promise and hope to the frailties at hand.
    Intro, outro, refrain, vibe, feeling, passion, coloration, meter, instruments, etc. etc. ... a lot of things should differentiate ... but with incremental impact .. or build-ups (if you will).
    I strongly agree with everything you say. I'm also for enriching precious-old works before crunching out new ones ... at my stage. Things must be fulfilling or else just taken out of the gallery.
    Bit: Hopefully the bridge-chasms remain 8-measures (in my case) ... not 16-24 measures (another personal problem). I mean these middles have become the problem (for me). Picking up the tempo and/or changing meters in choruses ... a little or a lot ... is now a standard for me.
    Rick: Short and simple hook-choruses (the last 4 measures of a verse or whatever) ... as per Jimmy ... 3-4 mono-syllable words even ... are personal favs for me. If I can't memorize the song ... uh oh!
    Repeating the verse-chorus-hook may be aptly termed refraining or such (see above). Methinks, the constant repeating gives the title-hook-chorus-refrain the ultimate bang-for-the-buck: OTOH ... a song-commercial that haunts forever.
    I'm not slighting ballads and story-telling ... its just that, if I can't memorize my song ... I'm sure its a piece of junk that needs overhauling. Short (<3-4 minutes per song) and sweet is the goal: Though years of work go into 3-4 minutes. Eventually the songs must become gigs ... or at least loving performances.
    Duck: The verse/chorus break-up game may have been fluctuating for centuries (in ballads and hymns).
    Zep, managed to evoke emotives and do a lot of rabbit-trailing ... plus doleful ballad stories ... The hooks seemed to me more in the vibe, riffs, cries, and heavy rock anthems. Hence, to me, Zep utterly flunked the pop scene (accept with relatively few songs) and utterly succeeded in rock-albums. I wonder if Robert Plant could memorize all his doleful lyrics ... in his 1st works had a lot of rambling. Stairway is a bit too complex for many folks, like today's children and their great grand-parents.
    For this reason, I don't actively study Yes, Queen, or Zep (nor most classic-rock) anymore, at all.
    Dave: Thanks for chiming on this one.
    Pre-choruses are inevitable evils for me ... until I simplify the hooks better.
    I want the chorus to be variety and containing the strong hook-refrain-title in a culminating way.
    Again, I want few relative minors saddening the chorus
    Double-time beats (going to the 4th) is excellent ... rather than just the upbeat 2nd. Yea, trying to go 2/2 or 4/4 or vice versa ... always. I'll look into regrooving as such.
    Your half-chorus ideas are implemented. So are double repeats. My problem may be the chorus is > 8 measures ... and I've flop-flopped verse-chorus song-phrases in a bad way ... with pre-chorus mayham ... clutter ... word-clutter
    Oft I employ chorus elements to give the hook-title at the intro. That game is common for me.
    Byron: Thanks for chiming. Please elaborate.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    -- Thanks all. Now I'll attempt to practice your thoughts.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

jimmyman
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 15:25:05 (permalink)

Phillip.
         As strange as this may seem every single time I look at
    your avator I see the cab of a tracker trailer rig. (just the
    tracker without the trailer). The top part of it is red and the
    bottom part is blue. There is something "happy" about that
    picture.

O,K, back to the subject at hand. I learn a great deal by
    speaking with you and others. I think I've been trying to
    put my finger on some subjects and I'm close but not all the
    way there.

As I look at myself and the songs I've posted on the
    songs forum I can see a person (me) who is trying to
    do something. I've gone in a few directions with style.
    I try to avoid being a maverick in the sense of artistry.

There is a good and bad way to be (unlike the norm)
    I can't see how anyone who throws a bucket of paint
    on a wall can call it art! Nor can I see a bunch of "mumbo
    jumbo"  thrown together as a song art either.

It seems there must be some conformity to be valid
    in the since of great art/music. What this does to me is
    make me consider the value of artistry to the people who
    are not artist/musicians.

I think it comes down to how well the performance
    /presentation is. (and of course how good the song is)
    I think the songs forum is missing the "pop music"
    sound because it's so hard to do.

Some people can show no respect for pop music and
    call it all trash (which a lot of it is) but I think for some
    it's a cop out. My ex wife is a good example. We played
    cover tunes and she sang the "hits" of country/crossover
    tunes.

She would easily trash the vocal ability of the very
    artist who's songs she sang. Yet praise the vocal ability
    of singers who did not sing so well. She wrote a song
    she was so proud of.  I said honey that's great but you
    copied the melody of a "hit song" by Hal Cachem.

That pissed her off so bad to be made aware of that.
    My point is I think some of us would write/produce songs
    in a more popular style "If we could". I think if there could
    only be one way to describe what great lyrics are it
    would be the fact that it must sound and flow like
    conversation.

This then determines whether it's a verse chorus
    or whatever structure. In poetry a person can be
    poetic to a fault. If it's all a bunch of rhyme and phrases
    but there is no "flow" then it's a bunch of brokenness.

A person can be taught to be a mechanic/electrician
    etc but even then the person has to "take the ball and
    run" to excel. Some of us "just do it" and things just
    flow together. bless those who have that gift but
    some of us have the potential but haven't blossomed yet.

There are so many "truths" that are extremely valid
    and useful yet we can sometimes totally disregard the
    value of them. I could look at myself and say wow
    jimmy I've done some cool songs but the truth is
    I aint going to win any Nobel Prize.

You and Nohow do some remarkable stuff. It amazes
    me that you two have such a gift to do so. If I'm
    correct in saying so you two are however looking into
    some type of conformity in a very artistic and tasteful
    way.

I think that's what great artist do. If I'm correct
    on this observation also I think "hooks" in songs
    are or have become old school. (In a certain way that is)
    I think maybe some people consider the "melodic
    phrase" as less important than the "lyrical content" of it.

I was standing at the checkout yesterday. A lady was
    humming as song. No words just humming. I was at
    another place one day and this younger person was
    singing a song. (with words)

What is common between the two?  The melody.
    I never recall anyone only speaking the words of
    a song. A person can have a song with no lyrics
    but you can't have a song with no melody.

As of lately I seem to write better if I let the melody
    dictate what the chord structure becomes and the lyrics
    as well. I just sing dummy words and then find lyrics
    that can say what I try to while keeping the rythemic
    content of the dummy words that just come out.

So how does verse/chorus or whatever structure
    fall into this? I don't know but even accepting that
    I don't know has given me some sort of happiness
    and motivation.

Philip
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 17:59:43 (permalink)
    Well, Jimmy,

In spite of the doleful past ...

I see now, there's a lot of truth in melody being the primary 'catch' of a song also ... I mean ... a song is melody, first and foremost

Shouldn't a lyric just repeat like a drum loop or groove loop ... to enhance the sweet melody ... that true main element?  That's another reason I don't care about a super-vox queen or a king of pop ... her/his vox must ultimately bow to the melody.

OTOH, there seem to be comforting psalms and such ... that ramble on with profound agendas ... that get memorized for the strong words' comforts and such.  Psalm 23 ('The Lord is My Shepherd') is pop, IIRC ... while it defies a melody-hook anymore ... yet it is short and sweet.  (King David may have played it with a 10-stringed instrument or something)

Likewise, a melodic painting is a color festival for me.

Hence, poetic songs (if you will) ... truly turn-off my kid singers (and perhaps 99% of folks); so many songs are non-pop melodic poems.  

Because of this: I'm radically oversimplifying lyrics on one song ... (slashing them into basic conversation repeats) and shortening them; I'm shortening them as a pop-version ... despite the melody having dictated the lyrics.

I figure; I might just play the simple version over and over again (with the sweet melody) ... and get unshackled from my Spock-like poems.

My chorus-title-refrain-hook (i.e., "Love Reigns High") is now singular, simple, conversational, and easier to chant and rant ... than my former 4 redundant choruses which had the same melody.

Philip  

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 18:27:57 (permalink)
    i think the basic issue here is dynamics and phrasing. verse/chorus is just a simplistic approach to what used to be a subtle art. not that there's anything wrong with that, VCVCBCC is fine... but think in terms of dynamics and phrasing and you can get out of that "rut" if you want to, even if you stay in it.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jimmyman
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 18:34:21 (permalink)

A song is first and melody first foremost? I don't know.
    It's apparent that king david really liked "sounds" as he danced
    with joy. You know who spoke in parables. Why? because
    it was a language the young could understand.

While yet some older people didn't grasp the spoken words
    even though they were so simple? To have the heart of a
    child with the wisdom of an adult might make someone a
    great songwriter.
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 21:21:15 (permalink)
    I sometimes will take a popular song and use it's format as a template.  Just like having a couple of CDs around to compare your mix to, you can use a tune as a measuring stick for your format.

By the time you add your own style and flavor to the tune, no one will ever notice that your structure is the same as the other song.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 22:41:50 (permalink)
    Mod Bod

I sometimes will take a popular song and use it's format as a template.  Just like having a couple of CDs around to compare your mix to, you can use a tune as a measuring stick for your format.

By the time you add your own style and flavor to the tune, no one will ever notice that your structure is the same as the other song.

Great idea.  And they won't notice that the other song has the structure of one before it.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    D K
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1237
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 23:10:06 (permalink)
    Lately I have fallen into a pattern that I really liked for a long time

V > 1/2 C >V >Dbl C > Bridge or break >V >C

I have to fight to get out of this so i start with small changes like this

V > 1/2 C >Dbl V> Dbl C> 8 bar Bridge> 1/2 V > Full chorus

I don't always have a key change between verses and choruses but i do think there always has to be a lift - could be a change in tempo, harmonic and melodic structure, mood - There has to be something to move you emotionally to a different place - most the time in pop, R&b it is the hook and it can be driven home in various sections of the song.

there are as many ways to write songs as there are songs so no rules - just whatever you like

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

D K
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 23:16:07 (permalink)
    marcos69

Mod Bod

Great idea.  And they won't notice that the other song has the structure of one before it.

Hey Mark

How you been man?? Listening to "Bossa" right now - Forgot how good that and "For after Now" sounded

We need to do some more work together sometime....
    post edited by D K - 2009/10/02 23:22:30

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

marcos69
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/02 23:42:26 (permalink)
    DK,  been meaning to try to hook up with you for ages.  We must work together again.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/03 00:09:18 (permalink)
    Hook-chorus, verse-chorus, verse-hook, what are you trying to say with the song? If you are trying to say something that doesn't conform to a particular style say it anyway.
    Hooks are final concepts, chorus's are final points, hooks can be transitional, chorus's can be transitional. Concepts in song can be transitional. It's not always about the same hook after a new concept-verse-statement. Bob Dylan's The Times They Are a Changing has several hooks associated with each new verse. Concept-hook, verse-chorus.

Craig DuBuc
    D K
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/03 00:33:45 (permalink)
    marcos69

DK,  been meaning to try to hook up with you for ages.  We must work together again.

A must ! - I'll pm you soon

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K

marcos69
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/03 12:17:55 (permalink)
    D K

marcos69

A must ! - I'll pm you soon

Looking forward to it.  I'll be out of pocket for a little while http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1836416 but should be back to normal soon.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Verse and Chorus Dilemmas 2009/10/03 18:02:05 (permalink)
    I'm not sure how to elaborate.

Each composition is on its own. I just use whatever form enables me to say what needs to be said. Sometimes it is verse/chorus, sometimes it changes to something completely different in the middle somewhere. I never force anything. I will craft it, but I won't force it. When the creative process leads in a particular direction, I just follow along and see where it goes.

Byron Dickens
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1