Version 8 works, version 8.5 only plays first note

Author
SomeDude
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/10/16 04:45:39 (permalink)

Version 8 works, version 8.5 only plays first note

If anyone can direct me to existing threads that cover this, then thanks but to date I have not been able to find them.

I purchased Sonar Producer 8 over a year ago and it has always worked within the context of a new user. Since 8.5 was released, I upgraded but have not been able to invest much time but over the year but I have dabbled with it primarily to try and fix this issue with no success thus far.

The Problem

1. Create normal project.
2. Delete existing tracks.
3. Insert Cakewalk TTS-1 soft synch.
4. Open piano roll and add notes (makes sound as notes added).
5. Press play, first note sounds but no other sounds and no more output created (the meter bar does not rise).

Projects that I created in Sonar 8 have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

6 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Version 8 works, version 8.5 only plays first note 2010/10/16 14:37:38 (permalink)
    It sounds like a sound card driver problem and/or a drvier configuration problem.
    What sound card are you using?
    What are the settings in options/audio menu(Driver mode, asio bufferss size, wdm slider position)
    What is your global mid buffers set to in options/global/midi
    What are your I/O buffers set to in options/audio/advanced menu
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    SomeDude
    Re:Version 8 works, version 8.5 only plays first note 2010/10/19 05:39:15 (permalink)
    Hi Cj,

Thanks for taking the time toreply.

While testing to formulate a response to your questions, I managed to find a combination that worked. I had been using the default MME audio driver in v8 (which worked) and v8.5 (which did not). I had attempted to use the WDK audio driver but to no avail until I realised that the output was being directed to the high audio sound device, for which I do not have. Once I realised that, and redirected it to the speaker connection I was using, hey presto.

Darren
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Version 8 works, version 8.5 only plays first note 2010/10/20 16:00:22 (permalink)
    You should not be using an onboard sound card. You wont be able to use sonar to its fullest with a sound card that give you poor performance.
    You invested in a professional DAw program, dont use a non recommended sound card /audio interface with it.
    A sound card is one of your most important pieces of the puzzle and its your weakest link as of now
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    SomeDude
    Re:Version 8 works, version 8.5 only plays first note 2010/10/21 03:01:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the sound advice Cj. I'm investigating sound cards as we speak. Any recommendations?
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Version 8 works, version 8.5 only plays first note 2010/10/23 02:19:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the sound advice Cj. I'm investigating sound cards as we speak. Any recommendations?

Your Welcome... Here is my audio sound card list

Audio Interface cards I like

Cj

Audio Blog
    ed tamboni
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Version 8 works, version 8.5 only plays first note 2010/11/21 18:30:31 (permalink)
    Hi CJ:

I'm new to Sonar (8.5 Producer), having a problem with something and I noticed some posts from you on the topic,
    and wondering if you can help me here....

I'm trying to figure out how to use Session Drummer 3...

What I want to do is run it, and record its output on separate audio tracks... that is, a track for kick, one for snare etc...

But I'm going wrong somewhere...here's what I'm doing...

I create a new project, it opens up with one MIDI and one audio track...
    I insert soft synth, choose Session Drummer...
    In properties I check 'Midi Source' and 'All Synth Audio Outputs Stereo', thats all
    And it opens up a bunch of new tracks for me...

Now - these new tracks have a keyboard icon on them, my audio track has a waveform, and the MIDI track has a MIDI plug
    for an icon - what kind of track is this with the keyboard icon??

I go back to Session Drummer and select an output for each track...
    When I play the groove, I can see by the meters that each drum is going to that track...so far this is great...

But this is as far as I get...how do I turn all this into 9 or 10 audio tracks???

I tried arming and recording on the MIDI track - but it records nothing...I tried recording on the Audio track - same thing...

So I thought one of your previous posts said select both the audio and MIDI track - I dont know how to do that....

If I click in the audio track, it highlights, but if I then click in the MIDI track, it highlights, but the audio track unhighlights...
    I tried control click, alt click etc but cant seem to highlight them both at the same time...

Is that what you guys mean by 'select' both tracks???

Then if I manage to get them selected what do I do???

I think I'm supposed to 'bounce to track'?? - that option is greyout right now.

Thanks a million,

Ed

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1