Very strange behavior of Mixing Latency "Buffer Size" slider

Author
timg11
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2010/08/25 17:09:39 (permalink)

Very strange behavior of Mixing Latency "Buffer Size" slider

I'm testing to see if Sonar 8.5 will run on a Dell D820 notebook computer with Windows 7. I realize that the sound hardware that is built-in (Sigmatel) is probably junk compared to real interfaces, but the computer can play decent audio into headphones from WAV or MP3 files. It is for experimentation, not a production mix. The computer has a 2GHz dual core CPU and can play 1080p video with AC3 audio smoothly, so it is not underpowered.

I set up a really simple test scenario with the 2 track MIDI sequence "2-Part Invention #13 in A minor", and the DreamStation DXi2 soft synth.  I got continuous clicking/dropouts in the audio. I tried both WDM/KS and MME drivers, but they behave the same. I've tried various settings, but the only thing that has an effect is the buffer size slider under Mixing Latency. If I put the slider as high as it goes (349mS), the rate of dropouts slows down. If I move the slider lower, the dropouts are faster.

By sheer accident, I discovered that when I set the slider to exactly 31.9mS (1408 samples), it works! No dropouts or clicks. Move it the slightest amount either way, and there are continuous clicks and dropouts.

Can anybody explain this? Is it only attributed to bad drivers from Dell and/or Sigmatel? Or is there some other setting in Sonar that could be involved?

3 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Very strange behavior of Mixing Latency "Buffer Size" slider 2010/08/25 17:16:52 (permalink)
    Yea, I would say its due to it being an onboard sound chip with bad drivers. You will not get low latency with that card.

Its noted in sonar that onboard cards will give you worse performance than a dedicated audio interface/sound card, as onboard card s are made for general audio playback and window sounds. There not for recording programs.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Very strange behavior of Mixing Latency "Buffer Size" slider 2010/08/25 17:36:05 (permalink)
    timg11

I'm testing to see if Sonar 8.5 will run on a Dell D820 notebook computer with Windows 7. I realize that the sound hardware that is built-in (Sigmatel) is probably junk compared to real interfaces, but the computer can play decent audio into headphones from WAV or MP3 files. It is for experimentation, not a production mix. The computer has a 2GHz dual core CPU and can play 1080p video with AC3 audio smoothly, so it is not underpowered.

I set up a really simple test scenario with the 2 track MIDI sequence "2-Part Invention #13 in A minor", and the DreamStation DXi2 soft synth.  I got continuous clicking/dropouts in the audio. I tried both WDM/KS and MME drivers, but they behave the same. I've tried various settings, but the only thing that has an effect is the buffer size slider under Mixing Latency. If I put the slider as high as it goes (349mS), the rate of dropouts slows down. If I move the slider lower, the dropouts are faster.

By sheer accident, I discovered that when I set the slider to exactly 31.9mS (1408 samples), it works! No dropouts or clicks. Move it the slightest amount either way, and there are continuous clicks and dropouts.

Can anybody explain this? Is it only attributed to bad drivers from Dell and/or Sigmatel? Or is there some other setting in Sonar that could be involved?

What did you enter your Midi data with? MME is ancient, don't even consider it. Windows 7 and MME? Who could explain that rate without being a computer scientist? I can't explain why 31.9 ms even showed up on the slider graph. That's horrible latency. How can you even use it? Get a real interface for music-audio. USB. You need to list what you are using for input-output. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but this art is much more complicated than plugging into the pink jack on your computer.
    The whole chain of devices is involved. Settings in Sonar, settings on your "sound card", the list goes on.
    Tel us what sample rates you're using, what controllers you're using, your computer can handle a lot but if you don't feed it the right information and sync it up right with devices-soundcards-controllers, you'll get nothing but greif.  

Craig DuBuc
    noonie
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Very strange behavior of Mixing Latency "Buffer Size" slider 2010/08/26 09:08:22 (permalink)
    I had Sonar 7 running successfully and effeciently on a D830. I've also got 8 running effeciently ona a Latitude E6500.

When I had the D830, I was using a Emu 1616m Cardbus instead of the sigmatel card. But, On my new E6500 I've used the Sigmatel occassionally, with ASIO-4-All, and it worked like a charm. Worth a shot trying.

Also, make sure you disable wifi (either in the Bios or Windows will work), that's a huge cause of DPC spikes, which = pops/crackles.

And always run on AC power. Running on battery(or even an older 65W Dell power adapter) will throttle CPU speed. Unfortunately, there's no way to turn that off in the Dell BIOS.

No clue WTF is causing the behavior your seeing though....weird
    post edited by noonie - 2010/08/26 09:09:44

Dell Latitude E6500
    P9700 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    MOTU Ultralite mkIII Hybrid
    Win 7 32-bit
    Sonar  Platinum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1