Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors

Author
Upright
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 434
2011/05/13 00:58:39 (permalink)

Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors

I just bought a pair of Yamaha HS80M studio monitors. I have the level set to +4db all my cables are XLR and balanced TRS. It sound like the noise is coming from the computer....and it seems to be the same sound as if my cables are non-balanced. Again it's very faint so I guess it's not a huge deal. My old monitors didn't have this issue using the same connection... Any help would be great. 
post edited by Upright - 2011/05/13 01:08:01

Windows 7 64-bit, i7 2.93 GHz, EP45-DS3R Mother Board 2GB ram, 2 sata 500GB drives, M-Audio ProFire 610, Sonar 8PE, Alpha Track, Mpc 2500

Bless the Lord!!

7 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors 2011/05/13 02:28:38 (permalink)
    As a test, do you hear this same noise when you disconnect the audio cables from the monitors?
    If so, you're probably hearing the noise-floor of the monitors' amplifiers (self noise).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors 2011/05/13 06:53:56 (permalink)
    I had a noise (hum) problem with my Samson monitors.  Turned out it was cockpit error on my part.  I had the monitors connected to a headphone output and the Impedence or level of the headphone jack was the cause.  I connected the monitor speakers to the designated ouput on my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and no more hum.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Upright
    Re:Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors 2011/05/13 07:40:13 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

As a test, do you hear this same noise when you disconnect the audio cables from the monitors?
    If so, you're probably hearing the noise-floor of the monitors' amplifiers (self noise). 

Hey Jim...

Ok I've run several test this morning and when I unplug the XLR cables running to the monitors the noise stops. This noise is definitely coming from the computer somehow when a Hard drive writes the hum stops and when I move the mouse the hum is pronounced. Also the hum is congruent with the light on my PC that symbolizes that the PC is working. My old monitors didn't have this problem and all I did was disconnect the old speakers and hook up the HS80M's with their supplied power cables...this is really strange. I've tried running the power cable from the PC to a different power outlet in another room...no change.    

Ok did a little bit more testing and hooked up the old monitors to check and now these have the hum as well....I know for certain that before last night the hum was not present. I did have to install new shelving to accommodated the new speakers and I moved my desk to install the shelving....maybe something happened with my wiring during this process? So where should I start? 
    post edited by Upright - 2011/05/13 07:59:19

Windows 7 64-bit, i7 2.93 GHz, EP45-DS3R Mother Board 2GB ram, 2 sata 500GB drives, M-Audio ProFire 610, Sonar 8PE, Alpha Track, Mpc 2500

Bless the Lord!!
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors 2011/05/13 08:25:25 (permalink)
    you probably have a ground problem in your electrical system..go get one of those ground addapters(2 dollars) and check out the other outlets in your studio that are on different breakers.seriously..check this.also cables laying on top of eachother.

in short..try plugging it in to a different outlet not on the same curcuit breaker.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Upright
    Re:Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors 2011/05/13 08:32:21 (permalink)
    chuckebaby

you probably have a ground problem in your electrical system..go get one of those ground addapters(2 dollars) and check out the other outlets in your studio that are on different breakers.seriously..check this.also cables laying on top of eachother.

in short..try plugging it in to a different outlet not on the same curcuit breaker.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure how I would test on another breaker....would that be a different room? If so I've done that. And to add that I didn't have the problem yesterday. 

I did some more tests and it seem that when I unplug the firewire cable from my firewire interface the hum goes away but when I power down the firewire interface leaving the firewire cable connected the hum is still present.

Bless the Lord!!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors 2011/05/13 09:41:07 (permalink)
    ground loop!  actually, I'm going to disagree with Charlie and say that you don't want it on a separate circuit breaker, but you want to make sure you're plugged into the same circuit breaker and preferably the same leg to the breaker box (i.e. the same outlet).  computers are inherently noisey (and I'm not just talking about the noise you hear).  they can also have ground loop and ground differential problems and can cause them with other external systems as well.

on your firewire device - do you have it plugged in using it's own power supply or are you powering it from the computer/firewire port?  if you have it plugged in using it's own power supply (and it's probably a "wall-wart" which are horrible for causing ground problems) make sure you plug that into the same outlet as your speakers.  I'd also try plugging your computer and computer monitors into the same outlet as well.

now you're going to ask how you can do that if you only have 2 plugs on that outlet!  you can use a power strip, but they can cause problems as well.  make sure you get a really good one, not a cheap one.  make sure it can handle the current that you're going to be pulling in that circuit and make sure it is UL approved and that it has a proper ground.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Very very faint hum coming from Yamaha HS80M monitors 2011/05/13 10:36:30 (permalink)
    Hum... the bane of musicians and recording engineers everywhere.

There are a number of things that can cause hum in circuits. You have to play detective and track it down.

Good electrical grounding is very important. That can cause hum. Since it didn't do it with the old monitors, but it does with the new ones.... and the wiring is the same..... I would assume that the issue might be in the monitors, but maybe not. Maybe they are just more susceptible to picking it up and amplifying it where the old ones were not.  Even though you unplug the inputs and it goes away.... when you plug them back in, the hum appears. The circuitry inside the monitors could very well be of lower engineering quality.... shields and grounds not complete enough to block or negate the 60hz hum from the AC line. Bad solder joints, leaky caps, all sorts of problems internal to the monitors or simply poor design of the amp circuits.

Your rig should run really quiet, so now, you need to investigate the ground issues, and power quality.

Check to be sure the circuit supplying power is properly grounded. Check if a ground lifter (one of those adapters) will make a difference. I do not recommend running it permanently on an ungrounded circuit. But check that to see if it is a ground loop as Beagle mentioned. the adapter will break the loop.

The mouse... is it wired or wireless?  RF makes noise in some machines.... as does the internal functions of the computer..... remember.... the computer has a clock in it that is running at very high frequencies..... this can translate into audible noise....especially if a component in there is bad or going bad. Power supplies can cause this too, since they handle the 60hz power and convert it to DC for the computer. A bad filter cap will let the hum get through and couple that with a poor monitor circuit design and you have a low level hum.....

So many possibilities.... let us know what you find, when you find it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1