Violin Textures Sctratchiness & Harmonics?

Author
nomad
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2008/10/06 01:56:47 (permalink)

Violin Textures Sctratchiness & Harmonics?

I've been working on something where I would love to have some of these qualities of the string instruments.

It doesn't have to be the greatest of quality/realism (As I'm just finishing something rather quickly and on a low budget), but I would love to be able to add that high-pitch screeching string effect... I'm not sure what the technical name may be for the exact sound I'm thinking of.

Off hand, I can say that it is used very quietly in Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi's "The Emperor Confronts Luke" (About one minute into it).

They just lightly, and eerily play quietly along the top of the main melody.

Also, this sort of a sound... although without the extra effects.

Thanks for any help!

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Violin Textures Sctratchiness & Harmonics? 2008/10/06 13:50:59 (permalink)
    It sounds like dissonant notes on strings, with a spacy verb. With some increasing in pitch while others are decreasing in pitch....it gives a very "spooky" sound.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/06 13:55:12

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Violin Textures Sctratchiness & Harmonics? 2008/10/06 19:51:02 (permalink)
    There are basically referred to as cluster chords or cluster harmonies. They can be written out as in John Williams' case, or they can be improvised by giving the strings section a suggested range to play the cluster or glissando through the cluster (as in the link you gave). Of course, they can be played in almost any way, from soft and eerie to a screaming random tremolo.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1