Virtual amp monitoring while recording

Author
mwall
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1262
2010/09/17 10:55:22 (permalink)

Virtual amp monitoring while recording

When I record my electric guitar, how can set it so I just hear just the virtual amp and not the clean input version at the same time?
Here's how I currently set it up: I use a tube preamp to feed the guitar signal into my mixer, which in turn feeds it into my soundcard's input. I set my virtual guitar up on the track and set the track for live monitoring of the plug-in.
My soundcard's output is run back through my mixer for monitoring, but I'm hearing both the clean and processed guitar sounds. I just want to hear the processed sound.
How do others set their rigs up for this kind of recording?
Thanks.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some tunes:
http://www.reverbnation.com/markwallace
http://www.soundclick.com/markwallace 

DAW: SONAR X3 Producer; GA-P35-DS3L; Q6600; OCZ 8GB DDR2 800; Win8 64-bit; Gina 3G.

3 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Virtual amp monitoring while recording 2010/09/17 11:41:43 (permalink)
    mwall

When I record my electric guitar, how can set it so I just hear just the virtual amp and not the clean input version at the same time?
    Here's how I currently set it up: I use a tube preamp to feed the guitar signal into my mixer, which in turn feeds it into my soundcard's input. I set my virtual guitar up on the track and set the track for live monitoring of the plug-in.
    My soundcard's output is run back through my mixer for monitoring, but I'm hearing both the clean and processed guitar sounds. I just want to hear the processed sound.
    How do others set their rigs up for this kind of recording?
    Thanks.

Mark

There are two ways you could be hearing the dry signal. 1. Mixer channel routed to same outputs as the computer output. 2. Software mixer for sound card set to monitor input.  In the Gina 3G manual starting on page 27 it shows how to set (or unset) input monitoring for each input.

If you need help I'll need to know what mixer you have (brand and model).  There may be a way to patch things so this doesn't happen.
    post edited by ohhey - 2010/09/17 11:59:57
    mwall
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1262
    Re:Virtual amp monitoring while recording 2010/09/17 13:09:11 (permalink)
    Thanks, Frank. Mixer is a Mackie VLZ 1202. I probably just need to play around with the Alt input buttons, now that I think about it, so that input is not heard in the mix, only output. I'll try that out, unless you have other ideas. Thanks.

Mark
    -----
    Some tunes:
    http://www.reverbnation.com/markwallace
    http://www.soundclick.com/markwallace 

DAW: SONAR X3 Producer; GA-P35-DS3L; Q6600; OCZ 8GB DDR2 800; Win8 64-bit; Gina 3G.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Virtual amp monitoring while recording 2010/09/17 15:05:20 (permalink)
    mwall

Thanks, Frank. Mixer is a Mackie VLZ 1202. I probably just need to play around with the Alt input buttons, now that I think about it, so that input is not heard in the mix, only output. I'll try that out, unless you have other ideas. Thanks.

That mixer should have a control room out you can use for monitoring and then plug the sound card output into the tape input and assign only the tape input to the control room outs when recording (lift the main mix button).

Or if you are just sending mono to the sound card input you can use one of the Aux sends to feed the sound card and use the mute/alt 3-4 button on the guitar channel to take it out of the main mix.  The Aux becomes your record level control at that point, kinda handy.  The sound will come back out the sound card to the mixer so you can hear it.
    post edited by ohhey - 2010/09/17 15:27:21
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1