Vista Folder Backup Software - Recommendations?

Author
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
2009/04/01 16:32:55 (permalink)

Vista Folder Backup Software - Recommendations?

Hey guys/gals - I'm looking for recommendations for software for backing up some of my folders. The Vista backup utility does not allow you to select the folders that you want to backup, only the drives and file types. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Vista compatiblity
- free or cheap
- simple operation - I just want to tell it which folders to back up, where to put them, and put it on a schedule to automatically update the backup folders or remind me - other than that, I don't even want to know that it's on my computer
- small footprint and very small CPU/memory use
- no adware, nag screens, etc.

I realize that there are a lot of these apps on the web, that's why I'm hoping someone here has found one that they like and can save me some time and trouble. I really hate demoing a bunch of freeware because you never know which one is going infect your computer. Also, if you know of any that should be avoided, please let me know which one(s) and why. Thanks!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

5 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Vista Folder Backup Software - Recommendations? 2009/04/01 18:22:33 (permalink)
    I use Carbonite on my work computer. It does automatic backups any time I change a file. The first backup takes a few days....but once you get past that...it's a smooth thing, and nice to know my business mission critical data is backed up.

On my music lappy...I use a 500GB external and save the files I need.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/04/01 18:30:00

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Vista Folder Backup Software - Recommendations? 2009/04/02 01:38:24 (permalink)
    Dave

Dont even muck about with anything else WinRar is the choice of champions...

$30 and job done.

Piece of pi$$ to use, it'll compress several gigs of wav down to half size and better and cut the archives up into whatever size pieces you want, So you can span yer archives over several CD's, DVD's, Zip Drives or whatever you want. You don't even need to unpack your back-ups to get the stuff back you just drag what files you want from the compressed archive onto your desktop.

The freeware/shareware alternative is 7-zip not as good by a margin but still excellent and free.

Neither take up any system headroom when not in use and both are clean apps.

http://www.rarlab.com/rar_archiver.htm

http://www.7-zip.org/

Neither work as automatic backer uppers (unless you want to set up a windows scheduled task) but the convinience of being able to be very specific about what files and folders you back up makes per project backups very quick and easy. Then just save/burn the resultant archive file/files wherever you want.

For system back-up's HDDrives are cheap enough these days to clone reducing down time to 2 minutes in a worst case scenario.

Good management is the key to ANY back-up option.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/04/02 02:10:14

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Vista Folder Backup Software - Recommendations? 2009/04/02 08:39:01 (permalink)
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/

This is free and really good. Check it out.

No compression just backs up files to another drive.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Vista Folder Backup Software - Recommendations? 2009/04/04 14:49:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually found exactly what I'm looking for and it's a free app made by Microsoft called SyncToy v2. It's very simple, intuitive, and works with XP or Vista - I can't believe they don't just bundle it with the OS.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Buddy110
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Vista Folder Backup Software - Recommendations? 2009/04/04 21:26:50 (permalink)
    hi cryophonik, just saw this thread...I see you got sorted, but FWIW....yep syncToy2 (and SyncBack as auto_da_fe mentioned) are great little programs. while we're on it....for main backups OR just selected files and folders (as I've mentioned in some other threads) Ancronis True Image is the defacto for going back in time IMHO, as it were. (you can restore your system to a new hard drive if needed (I had to do it recently) and it's great for testing drivers, etc. I used norton ghost 14 in the past but it let me down a few times. (and no, I'm not affiliated in any way with acronis.....they just make great software)

I highly recommend winrar and lately, even more so, 7-zip (better compression for wavs, etc and it's free) as Jonbouy mentioned above!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1