Vocal Challenges???

Author
DJ Darkside
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 565
2007/04/26 19:30:07 (permalink)

Vocal Challenges???

Hi everyone,

I just recorded a song with a group I am working with and had a few challenges with one of the emcees in general. He has a real soft voice so i can not record his levels hot enough. In the end his voice sounds sort of muddy when blended with the track. During recording I applied slight compression and then added more with a plug in afterwards.

Basically, I wanted to get some input from more experienced people here:

1. What effects chain should I be using during recording, if any???
2. What effects chain should I pply after recording?

Here's an idea of what equipement I have:

1. Yamaha 01X Mixer
2. Studio Projects C1 Condenser Mic
3. RNC Compressor that I bought from a friend but have not used yet. i will be setting it up tonight and testing it.
4. I run everything into Sonar 6.2.1 Producer Edition

Maybe you can get me some pointers on what effects to use? Even the settings I need to dial in on my compressor as a starting point. Any advice would be great. I ahve been out of the music thing for a few months so I am a bit rusty. Hopefully someone can help??? Thanks,

Mark Liebrand
DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
www.djdarkside.com
-------------------------------------------------------
Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.

18 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/26 22:16:04 (permalink)
    Record dry and add effects later in the mix.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    johnnyinHHTX
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/27 02:16:57 (permalink)
    generally speaking, most people have difficulty dealing with their voice electronically processed (dry is still electronically processed) because we hear ourselves in a way we normally don't.

The human brain automatically filters out most of the sonic frequency of our own speech (because it's mostly heard from inside the mouth out from the inner ear back to the eardrum).

Headphones put our voice in our actual "hearing/listening" space.

This takes time to get used to for most people.

Also the standard schpeal you'll always hear about having a dry, silent vocal booth creates an extremely artificial environment for hearing a voice.

This has to be compensated for with a bit of reverb or delay. It gives singers a sense of space and freedom when listening to and singing.

This can be added to the monitor, and left off the recording.

Just what should go where is all a matter of taste.

There is NO right or wrong,

HOWEVER, some combos do inherently work better.

For singers who have a hard time controlling their volume - use some compression, and some gating or a gate/compression. The options for all such plug-ins are endless. If you're using hardware the arrangement is not so endless.

For singers who cannot hear themselves - EQ it. Bring out the part of the voice that will sit in front of the music while they sing.

The key is experiment.

If you're hoping for a "formula" the best you'll get are "standards" from over the ages, that may or may not apply.

NIN Nails, clearly uses some heavy gating, mega compression, expansion, EQ massively, repeatedly, and let's not forget distortion, and I don't hear him use delay and reverb like many do.

When he first started, I would doubt if he followed any rules, and I wouldn't be surprised if he happily used some guitar distortion pedals to cover in a messy smeared way the need to compress, gate n add a sense of space.

As we all know it worked fantastically and continues to do so.

It worked so well, that the basic vocal processing he used (sans distortion) seems to have become the way to do vocals. In the past delay was the #1 effect, think Madonna swimming in delay in "Get into the Groove." Today you're more likely to hear Britney Spears (ok a few years bck) with her hyper-compressed, corrected, gated in "warmed" vocal sans delay and reverb (or very little).

royarn
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 427
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/27 04:54:57 (permalink)
    Hi
    The pre amp on the 01x is notorious for its lack of gain with condenser mikes, you would almost certainly require an external pre amp to get sufficiant level, I bought one by DBX witch goes to the digtal in on the 01x and now get ample level even with weaker voices.
    I would suggest a search on www.01xray.com
    Roy
    post edited by royarn - 2007/04/27 04:59:09
    DJ Darkside
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/27 15:36:53 (permalink)
    Thanks to everyone who has replied. Here are a few things I wanted to point out as well:

1. As of now I am just recording right in the middle of my room. I don't have any space for a vocal booth right now... I am thinking of donating a bunch of my older clothing to charity or something and using the extra space for a booth like I did in the past.

2. Right now my biggest issue is room and headphone noise. I have a nice pair of Sony headphones that give a great sound for the singer or emcee. The do tend to bleed a tad bit and it picks up in the recording. What would you suggest???

3. Should I be using a gate while recording? I have tried using the gate while monitoring but then the singer complains of a slight delay. Very slight but it does seem to play games with thier performance.

I understand recording dry and applying effects later. That is well noted now!!! To Roy, I will do a search and see what I can find on an external preamp. I appreciate the advice there. Maybe you can explain before hand the process of connecting and external preamp to my 01X? Thanks,

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/27 16:56:23 (permalink)
    DSProductionz,

1. As of now I am just recording right in the middle of my room.

Based on my acoustical modelling experience, I would advise against having either a sound source or a mic along the middle lines of any room (front to back or side to side), more important for reflective walls. If the room has an odd shape or lots of things to break up the acoustic waves, then it's not so important. If it's dead, that's also better as long as the vocalist has some feedback as others mentioned.

If you haven't already done this, you may want to check out the room by creating some impulses and recording them and also by checking the room out for nulls at various frequencies, especially if you plan to do lots of recording. If the room is really large, that helps provide lots of good locations. I'm no expert in the practical things to do, merely pointing out the theoretical problems that are known to be problems in practice. I'm sure there are a lot of tricks known by members here.

The point is that all rooms have better and worse locations and that the differences can be quite significant.

Good Luck!

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/27 17:32:00 (permalink)
    He has a real soft voice so i can not record his levels hot enough.

Hello,

You're looking in the wrong place for a solution. The solution is not in your equipment the problem is with the performer. Very soft voices are not just low level, they are "airy" sounding too. By "airy" sounding I mean they don't create enough air velocity to really grip the vocal chords. Is like a fiddle player that doesn't put enough weight on the bow. Sometimes you hear the fundamental and sometimes you'll hear only a harmonic. The result is an audio clip that has no "center" or "density." It is hard to get a bite with EQ or compression.

The first step (although this is now after the fact unless you can re-record) is to see if you can at least get the performer to speak or sing louder. You may be able to do this by turning him down in his cans (phones) which will (hopefully) cause him to sing or speak louder to overcome the backing track. If there's no backing track you can still make him very low in the cans which will cause some increase in volume. You can try coaching. I would play back the track and let the performer comment on the performance. Sometimes you can get a reaction like, "I didn't realize I sounded THAT way." This may cause some self-correction.

If you have to "work with what you've got." The best advice I can give is to apply a parametric EQ. First, roll off the low end with a slope that bites into the bottom of the audio, then sweep the track for a 800 - 1200Hz bandwidith that makes the most difference to intelligibility. And that is about it.

Regards,
    George
    DJ Darkside
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/27 17:58:26 (permalink)

1. I would advise against having either a sound source or a mic along the middle lines of any room (front to back or side to side), more important for reflective walls.

2. If the room has an odd shape or lots of things to break up the acoustic waves, then it's not so important.

3. You may want to check out the room by creating some impulses and recording them and also by checking the room out for nulls at various frequencies, especially if you plan to do lots of recording.

1. So your saying its better in my particular situation to have the mic lined up against a wall? Should I line the wall with a blanket or towel or anything like that to obsorb reflections, etc???

2. My room is not odd shaped it is actually a regular rectangular room. I have shelves up on one side and thats it, so not too much to obsurb the sound waves. Like I said, I will be cleaning out one side of my closet and dedicating it as a cheap vocal booth. I will have to experiement and see what is best. I just need to hide room noise. The biggest problem is my external hard drives have fans and I can hear those. I might even drill holes in my walls and store the drives in the room next door and run longer cables.

3. How exactly would I create impulses and record them and check for nulls? Can you please explain? Thanks,

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    DJ Darkside
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/27 18:00:45 (permalink)
    George,

Thanks for the advice... I will be recording with this performer again so i will deffinitly try what you said. Thanks,

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/28 02:11:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DSProductionz

1. So your saying its better in my particular situation to have the mic lined up against a wall? Should I line the wall with a blanket or towel or anything like that to obsorb reflections, etc???

2. My room is not odd shaped it is actually a regular rectangular room. I have shelves up on one side and thats it, so not too much to obsurb the sound waves. Like I said, I will be cleaning out one side of my closet and dedicating it as a cheap vocal booth. I will have to experiement and see what is best. I just need to hide room noise. The biggest problem is my external hard drives have fans and I can hear those. I might even drill holes in my walls and store the drives in the room next door and run longer cables.

3. How exactly would I create impulses and record them and check for nulls? Can you please explain? Thanks,

#1: The problems with being too close to walls can be even worse. What I'm saying is that whereas people may think that the middle of a room is a good thing (away from the walls as much as possible), the midpoint between walls has its own problems --- for example, it can color the sound.

Just be careful about assuming where good spots are because maybe they aren't. As far as blankets and other absorbers, this can help remove bad reflections.

#2: Yes, I agree with experimentation. You can eliminate certain things by following discussions on this topic, of course.

#3: I have more experience with calculating impulses, but people have popped balloons, shot off starting pistols, discharged capacitors, etc. You need a big, short spike. A snap from a "bad" WAV file might work.

One example of something that you don't want to see at your chosen microphone location as a result is a large second spike closely following your first one. For nulls, you would need to play sin waves (pure tones) and measure or record them. There is another thread here about that kind of thing, and Room-EQ was mentioned. Basically you'd like to have as flat a frequency response as you can obtain at your chosen location. Absorption helps especially for small rooms because it is as though the walls are infinitely far away (an infinite number of "room modes" so less modulation occurs as the pitch changes).

Now as others have suggested, this has little to do with your original post. I'm responding to your later post about recording in the "middle of the room" which I would not do unless I wanted to color the sound. I believe that George is right and that the real solution is voice training or advice of some sort with filtering as a last resort.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Dirty_Notes_INC.
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/28 03:10:48 (permalink)
    recording rap vocal r some what different than recording say rock or r&b vocal try send ur emcee a loud music mix thru his headphones but lower his vocal volume .This works 4 me every time i record a soft rapper ..........i also dont have a vocal booth i think they r overrate in our genre of music recording

Music is the Life I Lead and the Life I Follow
    JV
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 476
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/28 03:55:35 (permalink)
    Going by what you wrote and not so much by other replies, (several good)I would say you are hurting yourself and the singer by doing ANYTHING as far as FX to start with.
    Fact= weak sound source from input of singer. Therefore you need to bring UP his volume from the get go.
    I suggest you ignore all compression. That will only compound your problem if done too soon.
    Main focus is you FIRST need to take his vocal track and BOOST it when bouncing to a NEW track. This you may have to do 2x just to bring up his volume. If you add compression when you are bringing up the volume when bouncing, you will only be adding more noise to the track. Get 2 or 3 bounces with each one louder than the previous. When your meters are close to red THEN you can add compression, WITH a GATE to kill the added floor noise. THen add FX at the END of everything to avoid the MUD that will be building up.
    Also take something to put over the headphones to stop the bleed. I NEVER use open ear headphones. I use the basic top of the line Sony CLOSED EAR cans.
    Add FX to the vocal as the LAST thing you do to sweeten. To be sure you have the singer HOT enough, just turn the volume down SO LOW that you can barely hear ANYTHIG. If you hear the vocal THEN.....then he will be heard when turned up loud.
    I've done this with tracks that the vocalist was intentionaly wispering and it works VERY well.
    Give it a try.

JV
    "You can't soar with Eagles when you're flyin with Buzzards"
    dmassey
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/29 00:14:46 (permalink)
    Try a dynamic mic right against his mouth. Condensor mics are not always the best choice.

Try normalizing the track. It may be salvageable.
    JV
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 476
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/04/29 03:29:19 (permalink)
    I agree but I also try to stay away from normlizing untill the very last move if at all. I have found normalizing can peak limit but with SONAR can be the limit of maxing volume. Therefore I suggest the prior of buncing the vocal a coupl times with each time bringing up the volume of the voice track on each pass, than adding noise reduction and a gate at the end.
    On one hand a soft vocal is a pain to work with, but once you master "bounce boosting" you can really bring a track to life.
    Normalizing is VERY final so you can't do much more volumewise once you normalize.
    Sounds confusing but once you do it and "A-B" the diffrerance between boosting and normalizing, you will see both limitations.
    IF you want..........send me that vocal track and I'll bring it up to par using ONLY SONAR 6PE just to see if YOUR track can be handled that way.
    Hard to tell without hearing the track of your concern.
    Can't promise anything without hearing that track an jacking with it for a while.

JV
    "You can't soar with Eagles when you're flyin with Buzzards"
    DJ Darkside
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/05/09 14:15:17 (permalink)
    To all the replied I just wanted to say thanks for allthe great advice! I have been away for a while and I am actually going to be recording tonight so we'll see what I can do with what you guys gave me. I also just recently went out and bought a new mic preamp as recommended by a few other Yamaha 01X users on the 01X forum.

The next thing I need to focus on is stepping my microphone arsenal up since I only have 2 condenser mics. I would like to get a few more different mics including dynamic and condesners.

I will also nee to test the room for all the spikes and reflections as suggested. I know this may be a stupid question but I am also a newbie in the game here and self taught everything I know along with the help of all the great knowledge here but... When I do those spike tests I will need to have my monitors turned on and play the sound threw them while my mic is armed for recording? Correct?

I always thoght that having the monitors on and the mic on would cause a huge feedback sound? Or does the mic have to be within a certain range of the speakers before that happens? Can someone maybe clear that up? Thanks again to everyone...

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/05/09 14:40:58 (permalink)
    I would never use effects in a headphone mix for hip hop. If the takes you have are good other than the low level, try using a compression plugin and use the makeup gain to increase the overall level. You might get extra noise that way but if it's too much noise, try using a downward expander/gate. If the vocal takes could be better, re-record them and lower the vocal in the headphone mix. Many singers and rappers will back off the mic if they hear too much of themselves. I'm not familiar with your mic, but I only use condensors on rap vocals and they always turn out great so I wouldn't be so quick to change mics if I were you.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    DJ Darkside
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/05/09 15:02:02 (permalink)
    themidiroom,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have a lot fo work and experimenting ahead of me. I always take in everything everyone says to try and see what I can get out of it! Ill try it all out tonight.

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    hendrikxix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/05/09 19:59:49 (permalink)
    I agree that problems with not enough gain usually has to do with the following problems:

* performer not projecting enough
    * mic placement
    * pre-amp set on PAD (-10db) or the mic has its PAD on

Try getting the MC as close to the mic as possible while still allowing room for the pop filter. The closer you get to the vocalist with cardioid condenser mics, the more low end you will get out of the mic. This is called the proximity effect. To avoid popped 'P' and 'T' angle the microphone "off-axis" so the mic is pointed at the cheek, throat or forehead. The foam pop filters that cover the entire capsule are actually pretty effective especially for intense.

I have had REALLY good luck using the Electrovoice RE-20 (it's a dynamic mic used for radio broadcasters) for MC's.

As far as the RNC goes: Set it to the Super Nice setting for vocals. Compression is a very long topic but for vocals I usually start with a threshold of -10dB, a 3:1 ratio and then boosting gain at the compressor to bring the signal up as much as needed. If you use the RNC as an insert then you add the compressor's gain stage to the preamp giving you more juice in general. Be sure to watch your Gain Reduction Meter. Don't take more than 8-10 dB off or you will start to really notice the compression.

Don't record with expansion or gating. You can't UNGATE something later if you cut off the "s" sounds.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

Hendrik David Gideonse XIX
    Sonar X1d / X2a 64 bit
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    MOTU 2408Mk3 with 424 PCIe

DJ Darkside
    RE: Vocal Challenges??? 2007/05/11 18:59:30 (permalink)
    Ok so I know this is going to be funny to some but it was a learning experience for me. I spoke with a guy at my local music store and he explain what the little switches on the back of my mic were. I experiemented with those last night and found a great setting. I did a record test with some vocals and I had some nice levels... No problems!!! I think for now I have this issue solved. Thanks for all the great advice to everyone!!

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1