Vocal Distortion

Author
rockoman
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 307
2007/11/11 17:51:31 (permalink)

Vocal Distortion

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to hear everyone's favorite plugIn & tips they use to get a vocal distortion sound. I just discovered Cyanide. It's a free VST and sounds great so far. I JUST used it for the first time so I am still experiementing.

Thanks!
Rockoman
post edited by rockoman - 2007/11/11 18:34:38

It's not what we're doing, it's how you do it :)

3 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: Vocal Distortion 2007/11/12 10:05:09 (permalink)
    rockoman....

There are so many different ways to go about this...and they all yield different flavors of distortion. From amp sims to tape sims and tube sims - they all work in one way or the other. Much of it depends on the particular song and how distorted you are wanting to go with the vocal.

Many times I'll clone a vocal track so that I can bring in just a hint of the un-effected signal to keep the clarity of what's being said. Sometimes distorted vocals are hard to understand once you bastardize them with a bunch of crazy effects.

Sometimes I'll take the same vocal and run one distortion LEFT channel and a differet distortion RIGHT channel - leaving a hint of un-effected vocal in the center. This yields a pretty cool and WIDE effect to the distorted section.

Many times I also find that extreme EQ settings are necesary to get these distorted vocals to sit properly in a mix without being harsh.

There are no rules....experiment and have fun with it.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    rockoman
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Vocal Distortion 2007/11/13 23:34:55 (permalink)
    Great tips Skull! Thanks for the reply.

PS. I took a look at your website. I envy u :)

It's not what we're doing, it's how you do it :)

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: Vocal Distortion 2007/11/14 07:19:10 (permalink)
    LOL....nah....don't do THAT!!

I can give you 100 reasons why THAT'S a bad idea!!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1