Vocal prosessing questions ?

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/09/04 20:07:52 (permalink)

Vocal prosessing questions ?

Hi guys

I am in the market for buying something to help with my vocals for in my home studio and also for live use

I am not a good singer at all but ive always fancyed doing a few gigs and thought this might help a bit.

Idealy I would like a rack mounted unit  and I would put it along side a boss Gt pro that I will be useing in the studio and useing as part of my live rig.

But if not It could be one on the floor I am not botherd eather way I just want something that will do the job for me and I will be happy with. Rack mouting always looks cool though;) It would save on floor space in my home studio as I have very little room lol

I would be hopeing for something that would autotune for me as I sing ?

Be able to change how my voice sounded if I felt the need to have a different sounding voice on a track
Some cool efx harmoneys etc to play with if I wanted...

I dont have a lot of money around £250 if I am lucky at the momment but if need be I will save as I dont know how much we would be talking for something to do any of this and I dont have the first clue what to buy.

I hope you can help me out and guide me in the right direction so I dont buy the wrong thing

I live a good 80+ miles from my nearest music shop so not very easy to go try things out and I dont even think they stalk that kind of thing so I would need to buy off the net so I really dont want to be throwing my money away .

I value the opinion of every one on here and thats how I ended up buying my vs700r and vs 700c and So glad I did :)

Would this link below do what I am looking for ? or is it crap ?

http://www.dv247.com/stud...rection-effects--15194

Thanks again to any one who helps you guys are awesome :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

13 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/05 13:54:23 (permalink)
    The TC stuff is usually pretty good.  They have the new touch screen unit - it is a little more ($500) but looks easier to work w/ live (it fits on your mic stand) and more fun in the studio.  I'm also looking at the cheaper stomp box vocal version for my wife (hey, it beats getting her a new chain saw).  I'd check out the videos at TC and see what you think of the different units.  They have several versions - badly named - so I can't keep them straight.  A vox, a harmony, a guitar stomp box that all do a little of everything.

There was a raving review here on the forums about one of the units, but I can't remember where or by whom.  I've got a TCK 48 w/ the hardware effects and it is very nice.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Norrie
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/05 18:38:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply I actualy went on a mission today to find a shop in glasgow that had some gear to look at I didnt have a try of anything becasue I didnt have time but I bought a http://www.tc-helicon.com/voiceworks.asp

I havent had a chance to use it yet and dont have the firtst clue how to hook it up to my audio interface vs700 but I shall see if I can work it out tomorow and hope it was worth the money I got it for £250

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/05 19:36:12 (permalink)
    Ive also just had a horrible thought I thought this product would do auto tune but now I am not sure any one know if it will ?

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/06 07:36:41 (permalink)
    "This popular harmony processor has been used by songwriters, performing musicians, and jingle and movie music creators to put their creative stamp on vocals. VoiceWorks has a full complement of vocal processing tools from microphone preamp to four voices of harmony generation, pitch correction, reverb and tap tempo delay, compression and EQ. There’s even a song mode that allows you to step through a pre-programmed series of steps with the optional Switch3 footswitch."

This is from your own link Norrie!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/06 09:57:05 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

This is from your own link Norrie!!!
    Cut him a little slack,   he IS a drummer... 

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/06 11:42:38 (permalink)
    Ah, the next step.  Autotuning drums.  Now you don't have to worry about tuning your kit, Norrie ;-)

I'd just patch it into one of the higher channels i/o and use that as a bus/send in SONAR.

(EDIT)  I take that back about a send.  You can use it w/ a mic - and SOS said it was a pretty good preamp.  The impact preamps in my TCK are pretty good, so you might want to use it instead of the vs 700.  And the digital input channel strip is probably better, too.  I didn't really like the vs 700 strip.  Still, unless you want to sing w/ harmony you'll still want it on a bus to autotune your drums (or add harmony post recording).

@
    post edited by AT - 2010/09/06 11:48:45

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    KeithS
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/13 10:48:49 (permalink)
    Norrie

(I wanted to) Be able to change how my voice sounded if I felt the need to have a different sounding voice on a track
    Ive also just had a horrible thought I thought this product would do auto tune but now I am not sure any one know if it will ?
    The voiceworks unit that you bought will do just fine with Autotune and voice thickening.   It does vocal harmonies better than any other brand of vocal harmonizer on the market that I'm aware of, and it has a wide variety of effects such as reverb, delay, and compression.

As far a making dramatic differences in the sound of your voice,  you probably should have considered the Voiceworks Plus instead of the regular and less expensive Voiceworks model.  The "Plus" in the name indicates the inclusion of Vocal Formant processing on the lead vocal which allows some pretty amazing changes to your own voice, which you say is one of the things that you are trying to achieve if I understand you correctly.  There are settings that can give you a raspy Joe Cocker growl to your voice for instance or even shift the gender.   The harmonies can give you male and female voices that are bass, tenor, alto, and soprano as well as odd ball stuff like aliens and children all generated in some fashion from your lead vocal and depending on the mode of triggering you choose.   The difference with the PLUS feature is the manipulation that you can do with the lead voice itself. 

Keith
    SONAR X1d Producer Expanded (64 bit), Waves Platinum  
    Home built PC Intel i7 2600K, ASUS P8P67 MoBo
    16 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
    TASCAM FW-1884
    EEE-1394 Legacy driver
    PNY GeForce GTX 560Ti graphics card 
    2 ASUS V249H LED Monitors.

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/13 11:53:56 (permalink)
    The Voiceworks Plus is indeed a bit more versatile and the price on them has recently dropped. I picked one up for $250, new in the box. They are indeed magic for vocals live or in the studio.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/13 15:09:17 (permalink)
    no box full of electronics will make you a singer.  You have to spend the time actually singing. Your voice is like any other muscle in your body.... work with it, train it, exercise it and you will see results.

Take some vocal lessons and get a jump start on the process. Many people can sing relatively well once they understand the dynamics of the process.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/14 05:31:21 (permalink)
    You have to spend the time actually singing. Your voice is like any other muscle in your body.... work with it, train it, exercise it and you will see results.

Excellent advice

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Norrie
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/14 17:39:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replys !

I got it all set up and I am really happy with the sounds I am geting I am actualy finding I am not useingthe auto tune more just to thicken the voice and and some harmonies! exactly what I was looking for so I am happy:D

I have it configured so I can sing a dry signal and then audition the sounds after over the voice and its working really well

Thanks guys :)

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/14 17:42:16 (permalink)
    Yeah and I ment to say I am sorry I wasnt sure that pitch correction was auto tune when I sent that post.....

I am still very very new to recording at home and not with some one behind a desk for me but I am enjoying it so I guess thats what matters most :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Vocal prosessing questions ? 2010/09/14 20:35:45 (permalink)
    The device is so fast for trying different harmonies by triggering the chordal notes with a midi keyboard as you sing along. Love that feature. There are also some stand alone effects settings that take you right to a decent vocal sound.

None of which helps if you can't sing but for those who can, it's a fantastic songwriting and arranging tool.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1