Author
kmsomethingmore
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2010/12/31 17:13:37 (permalink)

Vocal tips?

Hi all,

So how does one smooth out vocals best?
Any processes that work well for you?  Compression, limiters, etc tool work?  Tools in Sonar?
I have heard adjusting the volume level, by going through and tweaking the lows to higher the highers to lower is the best way to preserve the audio quality?
Any other ideas to get a nice smooth vocal, besides of course the perfect singer that does it naturally?

Thanks I look forward to your tips.  Happy New Year!
Kevin

13 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Vocal tips? 2010/12/31 19:23:43 (permalink)
    Good vocalist makes the job easier.  Then a nice front end, and by that I mean a good mic and preamp, a little compression and EQ.

Once in teh program automation, then some soft comps.  Sonitus is good, tho the prochannel is better.  We just had a long thread somewhere about this.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/01 21:26:47 (permalink)
    the vocalist must be able to sing smoothly in control, and work the mic.

that must happen before ANYTHING else.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/02 05:28:40 (permalink)
    Singer
    Room
    Microphone
    Processing

In about that order.

Don't be afraid to play with microphones and the position of the singer in the room. I'll quite often throw up 2 quite different mics for a singer to see which one suits them best. Some of the chinese ldcs have quite a lot of presence boost on them which may or may not be suitable for what you want to achieve. Condenser mics aren't always the way to go and I think it's nice if you've got some dynamics to try too.

In terms of the room, if it's not stella sounding my preference is to put them in the deadest corner, singing out in to the room, if your room's not treated get a corner where you can at least hang up a couple of duvets / blankets to tame it down a bit.

You've mentioned that you understand that the vocalist is the most important part of the chain, acknowledge this and look after them well. Your job is to enable and awesome performance as well as to capture it.

Give them a really great headphone mix, possibly with a bit of 'comfort verb', Try and establish a working method they are comfortable with, get a feel for how much lead in they tend to want for a drop in etc. Offer them cold or warm water, keep communicating with them about what you're doing and what's happening (don't drown them in detail but don't leave them standing in the strange silence of headphone world without knowing what's going on).

As for tools in sonar, yes automate volume / gain to get some evenness in to the part, use eq to sculpt and notch out any odd or nasty freq's, unless it's a baritone I'm quite liberal with the hpf, I'll have it in on the mic or pre on the way in and will also hpf with eq once it's there.

I do a lot of stuff that sounds quite dry so I quite like ambience with a bit of predelay or short single repeat delays. There's a good tut posted on reverb in the sonar forum at the moment.

Child

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/02 13:04:22 (permalink)
    Good advice above. The singer should do 90 to 95% of the work for you by singing consistently and on pitch.

The room is basically whatever room you have and can work with to improve it's acoustics. I work in a  totally untreated room...basic carpet and drapes but it does duty as an office as well.

Using a decent mic is important, but again you have to work with what you have and what you can afford.

Processing is the icing on the cake, and should not be used to try to fix or improve a sub par performance. Processing, if not used properly to polish an existing good vocal performance, will make a poor performance worse.  If the performance is not good, record it again.

hope this helps you.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/02 16:52:29 (permalink)
    If the search engine of this forum wasn't non-existant you coiuld find dozen and dozens of threads concerning vocals.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/02 21:21:07 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Processing is the icing on the cake, and should not be used to try to fix or improve a sub par performance. Processing, if not used properly to polish an existing good vocal performance, will make a poor performance worse.  If the performance is not good, record it again.

Couldn't disagree more!  I cannot sing in key and have some awful tones to my voice, yet thru the power of processing my croaking actually is somewhat passable.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/02 21:49:18 (permalink)
    James I wasn't talking about melodyne or autotune (when properly used to fix out of tune croaking) 

I feel your pain on that topic....I too suffer with that problem and MD is a lifesaver.

I was actually referring to the guys that use tons of reverb, echo, chorusing and other "destructive" types of processing in an attempt to hide a "croaking performance"....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    litmon
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/04 00:28:55 (permalink)
    Hi! Vocal tips are
    1) Never sing without first warming up.
    2)
    Sing like you speak.
    3)
    Turn lemons into Lemon-Aid.
    4)
    Eating dairy or chocolate before you sing will diminish your range.

Cosmetic Dentistry
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/04 17:39:55 (permalink)
    Room temperature water ONLY for the singer. NEVER chilled or warm. If chilled is the only option, the singer MUST swirl in mouth till water is warm before swallowing. Otherwise vocal chords will become tight and your takes will SUCK!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/10 01:10:20 (permalink)
    Jim, (jamesyoyo) I'd love to hear what you do to make your voice sound good. You have yet to convince me you have a bad voice.  If that's really true, you're even more of a master with the controls than I already thought.  :-) 
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/10 11:32:34 (permalink)
    Janet:

Would you like me to send you the raw tracks so you can tell the rest of the world of the horror?
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/10 11:34:59 (permalink)
    As long as I don't have to send you any of my raw tracks.  lol
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Vocal tips? 2011/01/11 02:45:35 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

Guitarhacker

Couldn't disagree more!  I cannot sing in key and have some awful tones to my voice, yet thru the power of processing my croaking actually is somewhat passable.
    No Offense nor flattery to the *wonderful vocs* out there ... but I'd follow Yoyo's logic 1st and foremost ... else I'd make no productions.

Perfect pitch is first and foremost, IMHO.  1st takes are great for producers ... who are not afraid to enhance the fresh vibe.

Having studied Yoyo's vox and determining most of his samples to be the greatest on this planet ... by a long shot ... (to my ears) ... it seems ridiculous to hear crap-vox fallacies ... or the political viewpoints of *great chops*, etc.

I've begged many of you to sing because everyone has the gift.  There's really no excuse not to sing, haha!  That guitar and piano gets old fast, haha!  But your vox is always refreshing and new!

I'm a thousand times worse than Yoyo or any of you, but nothing will stop me from singing and enjoying the gift I was born with.

Like every instrument, every vox needs fx and processing from a performer's and producer's viewpoint. 

Perhaps, Yoyo may think he can't perform live as well as others, but his diligent enthusiasm is worth my emulation.  He's not afraid to use the tools necessary to exploit his chops.  Neither am I.

Tonight I studied Yoyo's vox for several hours on a collab I'm forever tweaking (thanks to him) ... that he joined me with a year or 2 ago (that he transformed with his outlandish 'utterances'): His technique seemed to include:

... backing harmonies (of himself)
    ... solid pitch correction
    ... snappy timing (not robotic) ... and/or splicing
    ... explosive and lustful enthusiam(s) for the material
    ... an urgent passion for the song
    ... pouring his heart out relentlessly ...
    ... dramatizing outlandishly
    ... hyper-compressing the vox in the lows and highs
    ... compassionate and syncronized singing
    ... upward singing (I think)
    ... Hass effect on his backing vocs
    ... rich saturation (tape), low and high presence
    ... a strict parallel copying of the melody and its timing (my piano middle-8)
    ... he seemed to keep his 1st takes and process them with his alchemy.
    ... he sings diverse utterances and mingles multiple styles/genres
    ... his vox is fresh and unpredictable ... he sounds like other singers/genres.
    ... he respects all sincere vocs that are going on in that song.
    ... somehow he manages to find the perfect places in a song that needs 'merits redeeming'
    ... there is some majic involved ... he connects with the vibe and explodes with it.
    ... he sings like his vox is a precious instrument ... diligently upon recording it seems.

I'm not trying to embarrass Yoyo, just supporting his excellent magic and dreams ... which help me exceedingly.  His vox-vibe is eternal to my ears and heart.

I seem to continue to cherish/emulate his singing above all others on this forum, despite his hit-and-miss antics ... though I treasure all of us singers immensely ... when you/I sing diligently with heart.

Other personal pearls:

-- I sing like ... predestined to sing ... responsible to make a joyful noise (for the Maker)
    -- If I drink coffee... the low registers get messed up ... I should plan on drinking water, orange juice, or something that helps the vocal chords
    -- Many folks will hate my vox ... but I prefer my vox in 80-90% of songs I write ... and that would be 100% if I wasn't so imperfect.
    post edited by Philip - 2011/01/11 03:09:16

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1