Vocals Still Suck! Please Help!

Author
akil
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
2006/03/02 14:55:12 (permalink)

Vocals Still Suck! Please Help!

Can you guys tell me how i can post a snippet of one of my songs so that i can get some feedback on the quality of my vocals. I've tried everything from different mics, preamps and sound cards to buying extremely expensive foam for my recording booth and i'm still not getting the clarity and fullness that i'm looking for. My current setup is:

Sonar 3PE
AKG Mic
Dbx Mic Pre
M-audio duo

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Big Boy

2 Replies Related Threads

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Vocals Still Suck! Please Help! 2006/03/03 12:29:09 (permalink)
    soundclick.com or garageband.com are a couple places for posting your mixes. as for the vocals, what are you comparing them to that they don't have clarity and fullness? how far away are you from the mic? are you listening to the vocals in the mix or by themselves? what eq/effects are you using?

hopefully others will chime in with better questions. for starters though, i wouldn't worry about the vocal sound until you can listen to it in the mix. the clarity and fullness you are looking for may turn into high-end harshness and low-end muddiness with everything else mixed in.

- jack the ex-cynic
    OnlyOneMiLLz
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Vocals Still Suck! Please Help! 2006/03/04 21:49:52 (permalink)
    It does and doesnt matter what mic and pre you have its how you use it.....The placement of the mic, your settings on your plug-ins (eq, comp, deEsser, reverb), your gain setting on your pre, and your cables but mostly how you mix may be the cause b\c you might be over mixing the track doing more harm than good plus this mixing thing takes time to grasp, so just keep tring new techniques......What does your vocals sound like(low and muddy, high and weak) and what do you want them sound like?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1