Voice over compression suggestions

Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
2011/05/10 20:44:51 (permalink)

Voice over compression suggestions

I'm going to do some voice overs that will be behind a looping Power Point presentation at a large trade show.  I'm thinking that, due to ambient crowd noise, I'm going to want to compress the audio more than normal to help it stand out (purely raising the volume would obviously raise the noise floor as well and still might not cut through the crowd).

What settings would any of you suggest to accomplish this?

Thanks!
[If it makes a difference, I'm using SONAR Producer 4.]

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!

6 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Voice over compression suggestions 2011/05/11 04:54:16 (permalink)
    I'd say compression is exactly the opposite of what's required, as this inherently raises low level sounds and reduces higher level sounds.

Look instead at a decent expander

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Voice over compression suggestions 2011/05/11 06:26:57 (permalink)
    I have produced voice overs before that have been used in noisy environments and yes compression is definately what you need. Expansion will enhance the difference between the softer and louder sounds making softer sounds even softer and louder sounds louder. It will end up sounding such that half of it will get lost. Incorrect advice here. (sorry Bristol but been there done that!)

I would edit the voice over in an editing program and even out all the phrases. (not necessary but good thing to do) But compression over the voice over will work well. Ratio maybe 4 or 5 : 1. Threshold down to achieve about 4 or 5 db of Gain reduction. Set the attack so it does not sound obviously compressed maybe 10/15 ms or so. The idea is that you want every word and every part of every word to be audible. Compression can enhance the diction at the end of words and if the attack is not too fast the beginnings of words will cut through as well.

You won't notice the fact the VO is a bit over compressed due to the background noise but you will hear every word though. And you won't have to have it over loud either.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    craigb
    Re:Voice over compression suggestions 2011/05/11 13:19:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff, that's exactly the type of advice I was looking for (and a bit more squashing than I initially was going to use).  Expansion was definitely not what I was needing (though some do say I should be more dynamic ).  Just try listening to Classical music while driving and it will prove your statement about losing half of the message! 

I will be recording in a quiet environment so I'm not worried about raising the noise level by compressing.

Can you explain more about what you mean when you say "even out all the phrases?"

Thanks again!

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Voice over compression suggestions 2011/05/11 16:28:31 (permalink)
    I would also put a HP-filter somewhere around 50-60 or even 100 Hz depending on your voice pitch and the sound of the microphone.

Compression emphasizes breath noises and rumbles, and some of it would thus be cut out.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Voice over compression suggestions 2011/05/11 17:56:29 (permalink)
    I am a fan of opening individual tracks that have been recorded in an editing program such as Adobe Audition. I believe many things can be improved there before a mix occurs. With a voice over when you look at the track you will see the average level of each word/sentence/phrases and I am referring to the main part of the sound not the peaks so much.

Some words or phrases may be a few db low and some others a little high. I like to pull up any lower level phrases and bring down any over high level phrases to match the overall level of the bulk of the signal.

The compressor which follows later is then working on a very even track and therefore does not have to over react to a high level peak etc.. It will sound a little more natural and transparent. But this is not an absolute essential either. If the VO person is good they will read evenly anyway.

Kalle's sugestion is also good except I tend to set the HP filter right on the microphone before the signal even goes into the DAW. Be careful rolling off low end especially if the person has a lowish deep voice as you can thin it out too much too and it won't be as effective.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/05/11 18:00:40

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    craigb
    Re:Voice over compression suggestions 2011/05/11 20:38:27 (permalink)
    I do tend to have a lowish voice and have access to a few things that might be useful.  I've got a pop-blocker to start with as well as a few processors that can help with deessing, etc. if necessary (Antares AVP-1 for example, I also have a TC Voice One, but I doubt that I need to sound like Barry White or a 13-year old girl - heh). 

I also haven't decided which mic I want to use, but I tend to prefer an Octava MK 319 for speaking which has some options right on the mic.  A Sennheiser MD-421 and a few Shures comprise the bulk of my other options.  Whichever gets me the best starting point will be the one I use, then I can attack any hum and rumble before I even hit the DAW.

Unfortunately, the first thing I need to do is put Claritin into my "effects" chain and get my allergies under control a bit!  VO's are annoying if you have any nasal issue going on (at least I don't have to sing!).

BTW - A quick test that included using your compression suggestions got very positive reviews today so thanks again Jeff!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1