WAI Improvements

Author
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
2015/06/05 16:41:21 (permalink)

WAI Improvements

WAI ("where am i") is the track indicator that identifies which bank of tracks is currently active when using ACT. There are a couple of things that would enhance it. (Feel free to add any WAI specific improvements to the thread).
1) remember starting position of wai for the controller in a project template. Currently (at least here) wai starts at the first track no matter what. If you have header tracks as i do, you have to drag the wai bar to the starting track you want to control.
2) make wai (optionally)discontiguous. I like to mix my midi and audio tracks sometimes but dont want to "waste a fader" on a midi track. Similarly if i have a closed folder, wai will continue to move into the tracks in the folder even though the folder is closed. (Heres where if the folder had its own integral buss, wai could use that fader as a sub mix) and then move on with the next track after the folder.
(Edited- fixed numerous typos due to big fingers on a tiny portable device, (aggravated by poor eyesight)).
post edited by Brando - 2015/06/06 16:08:19

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64

4 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: WAI Improvemenrs 2015/06/06 09:10:39 (permalink)
    As you have correctly mentioned at the beginning, WAI is just an indicator. So, with that in mind:

1) can be implemented inside Sonar. In case Control Surface plug-in does not change its location on load.

2) there is a trick:
     a) unset "Keep track/console visibility in sync" option,
     b) in the Control Surfaces property, select "Control Strips Visible in": "Console View".
     c) hide some track in Console view.
    Your Track view has "WAI gaps" now and Control Surface only "see" not hidden in console tracks. You still can see and operate all tracks in the Tracks view.

For "Folders", you can select "... Visible in" "Track View". Once the folder is closed, tracks in the folder are excluded from WAI.

It is possible to hide MIDI tracks in the "Track View", but I normally prefer to see MIDI clips...

Warning: there are some bugs when using that approach. In WAI indication, Track Inspector, etc. But there are more for "bug report" and not for "feature request".

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Brando
    Re: WAI Improvemenrs 2015/06/06 15:58:29 (permalink)
    azslow3
    As you have correctly mentioned at the beginning, WAI is just an indicator. So, with that in mind:

1) can be implemented inside Sonar. In case Control Surface plug-in does not change its location on load.

2) there is a trick:
     a) unset "Keep track/console visibility in sync" option,
     b) in the Control Surfaces property, select "Control Strips Visible in": "Console View".
     c) hide some track in Console view.
    Your Track view has "WAI gaps" now and Control Surface only "see" not hidden in console tracks. You still can see and operate all tracks in the Tracks view.

For "Folders", you can select "... Visible in" "Track View". Once the folder is closed, tracks in the folder are excluded from WAI.

It is possible to hide MIDI tracks in the "Track View", but I normally prefer to see MIDI clips...

Warning: there are some bugs when using that approach. In WAI indication, Track Inspector, etc. But there are more for "bug report" and not for "feature request".

Hi Alexey:
    That's a great tip! Thank you! I'd like to keep the two displays in sync but this gives me the idea that maybe I can toggle via screensets between discontiguous WAI for control during tracking and mixing, and visibility sync between the two views for editing. Many thanks. Great idea.
    Regarding 1, are you saying that I should have the capability within sonar to do what I need now (in which case I'm doing something wrong), or just that it isn't an ACT/control surface issue and should work in sonar?

Brando
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: WAI Improvemenrs 2015/06/06 16:43:08 (permalink)
    Brando
    Regarding 1, are you saying that I should have the capability within sonar to do what I need now (in which case I'm doing something wrong), or just that it isn't an ACT/control surface issue and should work in sonar?

Unfortunately not. What I means is that it can/should be implemented inside Sonar and once done will work for existing plug-ins.

Control Surface support in Sonar has 2 parts, one is inside Sonar and another is inside plug-ins. In case some feature is implemented inside Sonar that does not make it automatically available for end users  (concrete devices) till either corresponding plug-in is also modified on the change is not "visible" from plug-in side. A good example for the first scenario is ProChannel support. API (partially) support ProChannel control, but old plug-ins (MCU) should be modified to use that.

So, my post was just a confirmation that both your requests can be implemented as a "generic" modification inside Sonar part and modification of all plug-ins is not required (and so the probability that will be done is greater then zero...).

MIDI skipping (but not Folders, since as many other "new" features there is nothing in CS API to work with them) can be done inside particular plug-ins as well (my plug-in support that...), but I prefer to see it on Sonar side because plug-in is not able to inform Sonar about gaps in WAI (the only parameters are the "first" WAI track and the "width").

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Brando
    Re: WAI Improvemenrs 2015/06/07 11:18:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Alexey

Brando
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1