Helpful ReplyWAV to CD Where does the volume go? [SOLVED]

Author
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
2017/06/13 22:22:39 (permalink)

WAV to CD Where does the volume go? [SOLVED]

I'm having a hard time getting decent CD's produced. I have lots of level in Sonar and lots of level in the WAV output on export. When I burn the CD it seems like I'm losing about 6db of level. I have tried Nero and Audio creator with strange results. Nero is giving distorted output and Audio creator is losing 6db. I'm hoping there's some basic thing that I'm missing.

Any ideas?
post edited by ampfixer - 2017/06/19 00:59:19

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/13 23:23:59 (permalink)
mastering.

learn as much as you can, and begin.

or, pay a pro to do it.. fastest way from point A to point B

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 02:10:14 (permalink)
Make sure you aren't reducing the level on export by accident.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 13:33:28 (permalink)
I am not familiar with either of those programs, but the "Nero giving a distorted output" hints at clipping, although both programs may not handle high gain well (even if not clipping), since they may have a gain stage before print (no idea here, just speculation). It is almost as if Nero is trying to print a clipping situation, while Audio Creator is (over)compensating for it.

Have you checked the exported wav file to verify that is it not clipped? If nothing is found there, have you tried simply burning the audio to CD using Windows Explorer to check?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
gswitz
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 15:36:03 (permalink)
Also, double check to make sure there isn't some sort of Auto-Level being applied where the app making the CD estimates the average volume of the tracks and then adjusts the absolute level so the average level is around the same.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 16:00:33 (permalink)
I use mediamonkey or power2go normally. Some reason my bluray writer isn't liked by the Windows 7. Which might be fixable if I could be bothered trying to find the reason but anyway.

I keep my files as wav and listen to them on my fiio player.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
ampfixer
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 16:26:19 (permalink)
It's beyond annoying. I'm sure that many people have this issue. I tend to agree with the comments about the conversion program doing something behind the scenes. The source material has a large dynamic range where the peaks and RMS levels are quite different. The only plug I'm using is a limiter on the master buss. I need the limiter to allow me to pull up the average sound level while preventing overload on peaks. 

It's almost like Cakewalk Audio Creator is using the peaks as a reference while Nero is using the RMS levels. This one issue is my biggest problem when using Sonar. The files are clean and punchy with a max output level of -1 db yet I can't create a CD that's loud enough to listen to in a car.

I'm working on an audio book so being able to listen in the car is almost mandatory. I should also add that this issue also applies to MP3 files. Anything I create using Sonar's export audio function seems to have a low output level.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
glennstanton
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 17:28:43 (permalink)
if you have the auto-mastering software (LANDR) which may be useful to compare with your own level settings. also any auto-volume control settings in the CD software should be disabled to avoid having louder tracks from reducing other tracks. and using reference tracks to compare levels would be helpful - bring a reference track into your project or in your mastering software (e.g. Ozone, Sound Forge, etc) to compare levels eq etc.

-- Glenn

gswitz
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 18:27:33 (permalink)
Ribbon mics are my favorite discovery and you don't have to buy expensive ones. The cheap ones are great too... especially when you aren't taking them on the road.

batsbrew
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 18:49:48 (permalink)
gswitz
Ribbon mics are my favorite discovery and you don't have to buy expensive ones. The cheap ones are great too... especially when you aren't taking them on the road.

????????

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

gswitz
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 20:14:38 (permalink)
Sorry, I think I was looking at a different thread when I posted that. Not sure how I got my wires crossed.

fret_man
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 20:46:34 (permalink)
I think I'm beginning to like strawberry more than chocolate.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/14 22:47:44 (permalink)
I am just letting you know from another angle.  I am exporting from Studio One.  But also performing very final mastering edits in Adobe Audition.  I feel that the editing programs seem to have the final say on reference levels leaving it.

I have tested levels from Wave files leaving my DAW compared to CD burning. I am seeing no level changes at all.  My CD burn produces exact reference levels when I burn them.  I am using an earlier version of Nero on my XP machine and CD Burner XP on my Win 7 machine and it is the same.

So no level changes for me, if I master a CD to -10 dB rms average then the CD plays back at the same level. (Note: I have calibrated the output from my CD player to match levels that are on my digital mixer.  If anything the CD is 2 dB higher on my system and I have to drop it down 2 db.  But no clipping or distortion anywhere.)  If I limit Xenon to -0.5 dB FS in mastering, that is exactly how the CD is burned and if it were ripped back to a wave file again.  I have checked.

It may come down to how well you are pumping up your rms levels during mastering.  I use PSP Xenon as my limiter and it has no problems reaching levels as high as -6 to -8 dB rms, but this represents a very loud master.  I find levels between -10 and -12 mastered rms seem to match a lot of commercial levels in my car for example.  Although some commercial CD's can be insanely loud, but then they sound horrible.

CD burns should at least should match your levels leaving your DAW/Interface. Not dropping them down.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
ampfixer
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/15 02:28:33 (permalink)
Thanks Jeff, I'll look into this. It seems the simplest of tasks but it's driving me crazy. I'm running the master buss output at -.5 db for peaks but the rms levels are much lower. This is primarily spoken word done by a singer with a big voice. He talks like he's singing and the levels are bouncing from -40 to -6. 

Time for more experiments. I obviously haven't learned how to use the tools.

Regards, John 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/15 04:12:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/06/18 15:55:40
Try loading your exported file into a new project, and then import the wave file from the CD and compare the two. They should match in amplitude. If not, it's unlikely to be Nero's fault, assuming you're not doing any modifications in the burner (by default, Nero should burn it as-is without modification).

If they do match up, take a look at how you're auditioning your CDs. If you're playing them through Windows Media Player or similar, it's possible you're not comparing apples to apples. That's especially true if you're listening to them in your car.

It could still be a mastering issue either way, meaning a translation issue. That's a whole 'nother can o' worms.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/15 07:28:34 (permalink)
I've used Nero for years. It's always produced exactly what expected  from my exported wavs.
I understand the opening post so that the exported wavs are fine (?), so I have no idea what could cause
degradation of quality or changes in levels during CD-burn.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Jeff Evans
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/15 18:58:39 (permalink)
For an audio book I would be aiming for a very even voice level in the final master.  For the reasons you have  already mentioned. Playback environments will vary a lot.  And you want to hear the voice clearly all the time.  The way to this is to edit the initial recording.

I would record the wide range of input sounds/levels.  Capture all that without clipping.  eg  (use K System level of -20 as the reference)  Maybe even tame the dynamic range going into the DAW a little by acting only on loud peaks first e.g. limiting with high threshold setting.

Then I go in and cut the vocal read into smaller segments.  Studio One makes changing clip gain like this on individual audio events easy and possible.  Also as the waveform height does change as you change gain, this end up being a really handy feature for roughly evening up vocal phrases by eye.  Looking at the rms or meat of the sound.  Louder phrases down a little and softer ones up.  You don't even everything up either.  That sounds unnatural.  Preserve some of the initial dynamic range read, just reduce it.  A long read takes less time than you think to do this process.

Then you put a compressor over the whole track but you are now feeding in a much more consistent rms levels for each phrase.   Add some makeup gain there.  Light compression settings here.  Like 2:1 max ratio and only 2 to 3 dB gain reduction too. 

By the time you hit your limiter and add further 3 dB or so of rms level, you will be sounding very loud on your CD.

Forget preserving the dynamic range of the initial read.  That is not the point of the exercise.  It is better to create a very clear voice over read.  All the emotion can be put in at various levels,  but the same emotion can still be conveyed when all the vocal phrasing is much more even in level.  The editing extends far beyond the read itself.  I like to add a final touch EQ and even add a very small room reverb at a very low level to just add some depth the to vocal sound too.  This reverb should not even be obvious.  If there is music and effects under,  then that requires balancing too.  (Small mono speaker at low volume works wonders here !!)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Jeff Evans
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/15 19:18:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/06/18 15:56:24
I am not a fan of what they are doing today either and that is called Cinematic mixing for films and TV series that we are watching with our live streaming options.  They are going a little too far in the opposite direction.  Louder voice parts are getting a little louder but softer ones are getting a little too soft for my liking.  The music and effects are blasting in now at quite high volumes.  I am finding it harder now to hear all the dialogue consistently.  Do any agree with me?  

I have got a quality audio system attached to my TV and Apple TV etc and it all sounds great.  Too great though at times.  I have to ride the remote volume now and get ready to turn the music and stuff down and crank the softer dialogue up a bit.  I have got a nice Presonus compressor permanently patched in between the input sources and my Hi Fi power amp.  It tames all this level change for the better for sure, but it still has issues as well not being able to catch some of the loudest peaks on some material. The jury is still out as to how best to set that compressor up as well.  I go from limiting to mild compression and back etc..

I was trained in the old days to keep the voice overs more even and consistent and always ensure the listeners can hear it at all times.  Of course playback mediums were not as good then for sure and we have got better options now but we are using them all little too much these days in some cinematic mixing approaches now.  

I feel there is a balance there, which is nice consistent voice levels with music and effects coming in but reaching healthy volumes without blowing the listeners head off.  Only adding slightly to the overall level. 

ampfixer
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/15 21:55:19 (permalink)
I've been on this project since January. My number 1 consideration was to get good, clear audio with no clipping. I I've managed to  do this. Initially tried to get the RMS levels up but it was always a failure due to clipping. 
This guy has a huge voice and like many singers he tends to build up air and then let loose. This may be great when singing, but when reading, every sentence starts out with a very high level that drops off as the sentence ends. I've explained the issue and shown him the waveforms but it's just the way he rolls. He's also doing some animated voicing and using mic proximity as an effect. It's much harder than any music I've recorded. When you are a rookie recording a guy who has 15 albums under his belt it's difficult to act as engineer and producer.

I thank you all for the continued feedback and you patience. Don't bail on me, I'll figure it out.

Regards, John 
ampfixer
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/15 22:03:06 (permalink)
As for cinematic mixing, I'm with Jeff. In fact, I've stopped going to most movies because I come out feeling like I've been assaulted. There's no way you should come out of the movies with ringing ears, but that's what happens. It must be in deference to the "ear bud generation". They've scuppered their hearing and in order to excite them movies are equipped with weapons grade audio. My Sony TV has a steady sound option. I used to use it but the internal compressor is messed up and it won't release at times. Loud passages trigger it but then you never hear the quiet passages because the release time is way too long.

1st world problems to be sure. 

Regards, John 
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/16 02:54:40 (permalink)
IIRC, you had a thread regarding Nectar Elements a while back (not sure if you got Nectar 2). Have you tried out the Voice Over presets with that?

Depending on the sheer length of audio you are working with, the free 30-day trial of Audition CC may also be something to try, since they have a "match level" batch process that is highly tailorable. If you try that, be sure to save the project to a new folder first, then you can process all files "in place" so that it is transparent to the SONAR project. The onesy-twosy clip matching is a PITA when there are batch functions available and you have hours of material to process.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/16 05:40:28 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I am not a fan of what they are doing today either and that is called Cinematic mixing for films and TV series that we are watching with our live streaming options.  They are going a little too far in the opposite direction.  Louder voice parts are getting a little louder but softer ones are getting a little too soft for my liking.  The music and effects are blasting in now at quite high volumes.  I am finding it harder now to hear all the dialogue consistently.  Do any agree with me?  

so Cinematic mixing is what they call the inability to do a proper mix these days? fancy words for everything ... interestingly they still seem to do a much better job in Germany as all the dubbed movies come with dialogues that you can understand while in the original you constantly have to ride the volume control to understand when they whisper and not wake kids/neighbors when there is action an the agenda ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Jeff Evans
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/16 07:52:02 (permalink)
No Cinematic mixing is not about being a bad or not so proper mix.  It is more about a technique they are using for a lot of TV series as well as movies these days.  The dialogue seems to be more spread over a wider range of levels.  Music and effects are often very loud compared to dialogue.  They are taking the soundtrack over a wider range of levels these days I think.  It can be a bit distracting too. 

An audio book I would imagine would need to have a fairly constant voice level.  Something that is a bit different to cinematic mixing. 

I once recorded an African singer who also had a huge range too.  He started very loud often and then changed as the dynamics flowed enormously.  I ended up using a limiter on the way in with a high threshold to just catch the loud bits and set them all to a nice even level.  It worked well.  It was easy then to edit all the other stuff relative to that. 

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/16 10:43:12 (permalink)
i agree about the misbalance with cinematic stuff, dialogue is sometimes almost impossible to discern on a tv playback, but i expect that's because of the thx/whatever boom-systems they have in cinemas these days?

just a sec

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/16 13:32:03 (permalink)
I'm late to this thread.  But (1) I use Nero BurningROM for all my audio CD burning and have never had a distortion problem.  (2) I use Ozone (5 or 6) to "master" and then I always check the levels with Goldwave (audio editor) so all the songs, when burned to a CD, are the same level.  I've seen a lot of audio CD's, even commercial audio CD's, where the songs play at different volume levels and that is not desired.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/16 13:48:38 (permalink)
Last time I went to the flicks (Beauty and the Beast) I had a horrible time with the volume levels of the loud bits. The really quiet bits lulled you into a false sense of security and then BAM, ear shattering decibels that I knew would damage my hearing if I didn't plug my ears. I spent the whole movie with my index fingers hovering on the outside of my ear holes as a sort of home made "limiter" (it even had look-ahead in that I was sometimes able to predict a loud part coming up).

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Jeff Evans
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/16 20:44:02 (permalink)
It is obvious they now have the dynamic range in the audio soundtrack storage/playback medium plus the sound system to deliver it as well. They are just over doing it, that is all now. The dynamic range could be pulled back in nicely and the whole thing set to a much nicer overall volume.  Music and effects can still fell like there is power behind them.  That can still be achieved with a different overall mix.  And making sure the dialogue is clear and easy to hear All the time.  Stop getting too smart turning down dialogue and making it all match the vision in total perspective. i.e. if someone moves away or to one side etc.. let the vision reflect those things, dialogue can still be kept very audible and clear.  Changes to the dialogue sound can still be possible e.g. from further away etc but these changes only have to be subtle.

You did not have to sit through the whole thing being prepared for loud volume shifts and be ready to protect ourselves back when the soundtracks were being stored in analog form perhaps on the film. They probably had to limit the dynamic range a little there.  Yes the theatre sound systems were bigger and louder, but it used to be a bit more even in the past.  The music, dialog and effects were all very nicely balanced and the whole overall level a little higher than in the home but that was the excitement of going to the cinema perhaps.  As well as the much larger image.

If kids movies soundtracks today are like this new cinematic mix approach, then maybe we are subjecting our younger generation to overly loud and dynamic soundtracks. Is that good? They are getting enough volume blasting their ears now from other sources. 

I wonder how ampfixer is going with his voice over recording.  It can be challenging at times.  Even before the playback medium, the production is pretty important and will have a big impact as to how the final master will sound. Sounds to me like the first challenge will be to level out this particular voice over person he is recording. Keeping the character of that person's voice intact but making all the phrases a little more even. Before that track even hits its compressor for some final conditioning, this has to be sorted out. 

ampfixer
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/19 00:58:43 (permalink)
For anyone still looking, here's an update.

I listened to everything that was suggested and made great headway. The reason I was getting distorted CD audio was due to a setting in the Nero burning ROM. By default it was normalizing audio as it was burning, and this was causing overs. After shutting it off things are much better. Testing has confirmed that what goes out of SOnar is not being attenuated. It seems that every audio program has its own volume control, so each one plays things back at different levels. D'oh! what a newb mistake.

As for levelling the audio, I've found that I get better results by adding a compressor to the vocal track to knock off 2-3 db of level and then pump it up on the master buss with the limiter. Jeff's idea here worked very well. So I'm far ahead of where I was a few days ago. I've also learned that all compressors and limiters don't get along with each other. The combo I found the best in this case was the old Waves V-Comp on the track and the new adaptive limiter on the master buss. Thanks for all your help folks.

Regards, John 
batsbrew
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/19 01:16:59 (permalink)
it WAS an newbie mistake,
but one i've made before..

maybe we overshoot things sometimes on the 'help' scale,
but obviously a few people wanted to see you get it right.

carry on,
and never tell this story.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Jeff Evans
Re: WAV to CD Where does the volume go? 2017/06/19 11:21:25 (permalink)
I have been using Nero for years. That Normalising option has always been un-checked for me.  I always felt it was best to leave out any such operations because one does not really know what these processes are doing to your final master and from your example obviously normalising, but up to 0 dB FS I would say.  I think its good to limit your wave file final master down to -0.5 dB FS.  Or even -1 dB.  It can sound better for conversion into compressed formats and nicer on some playback systems. 

From experience what can work is a limiter (or compressor set as such) first in the chain on the track, set for a very high threshold so only those real loud sections will trip it and then the limiter will level all those bursts to one level. That level should be higher in volume too but only by a respectable amount. The rest should pass under not being touched.  You can add some rms makeup gain now, from this first limiter, as much as the limiter is turning down the output signal. 

Then you can follow with a compressor doing light conditioning  set for a lowish ratio and 2 - 3 dB gain reduction. 

Then another limiter on the master buss just raising the volume of the whole track a little.  That can work quite well if you don't want to edit all the VI phrase by phrase.  A little EQ before the final limiter can also work nicely.

But nothing beats doing the by hand editing work though.  Bit by bit right through the whole track.   If its long it can be a lot of work for sure.  It does give a better result.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/06/19 19:58:47

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1