LockedWHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD.

Author
howieizme
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
2006/08/10 17:02:56 (permalink)

WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD.

OK! So I will get the ball rolling here. The rest of you take it away.....

THE "UNOFFICIAL" RULE LIST OF SONG WRITING & PERFORMING 101

1. Never refer to a hot woman as a “child” in your song. Only Axle Rose and Mother Love Bone can pull this off.

2. Never open your lyrical opine with a “whoa whoa whoa yeaheeyeahhhhaaa”! Or an “alriiiight”!!!! Or even a “here we go”!

3. Avoid using the word “survive” in your song.

4. Avoid covering singers who really shouldn’t EVER be covered, due to their truly unique style. i.e. Freddie Mercury, Prince, and Rick Springfield………… j/k.

5. If you’re not a drummer and you’re creating a master CD, find a drummer and have them play for you. It will make your songs 100,000 times better. Go easy on the programming of percussion folks, please.

6. Blues songs that “start out” with a big lead guitar, drums, and a bass “all coming in at the same time” is lame. Don’t.

7. Unless you’re the God of Blues son, or close relative, find another genre. Please………

OK, now that I’ve got this post started, let’s hear from everyone else as to what the NO NO’s are in writing music. And PLEASE!!! PLEASE!! PLEASE!! PLEASE!!! Don’t say that there are no “NO NO’s” in writing music, and get a philosophical on me. This is supposed to be a fun post. Have at it and let the world know what you consider the rules to be in “writing” or “performing” music

Mike,

"DAW's make you fat".

17 Replies Related Threads

Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/10 17:42:14 (permalink)
    i think rhyming "fire" with "desire" should get any songwriter kicked out of the club.

The Poodle Chews It.

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/10 18:05:56 (permalink)
    Baby and Babe should be off limits. They have been overdone to death. Leave them alone.

Apart and Heart as a ryhme should be banned.

Anything to do with waking up, woke up this morning, daybreak, nighttime, evening have had enough airtime. How about a song with afternoon in it! Midmorning, dusk, late afternoon or even after lunch should be brought to the forefront.

Somthing like:
    I'll make a suggestion
    After lunch with you
    I get indigestion

Yeah, there you go!!
    post edited by Middleman - 2006/08/10 18:21:02
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/10 19:12:57 (permalink)
    5. If you’re not a drummer and you’re creating a master CD, find a drummer and have them play for you. It will make your songs 100,000 times better. Go easy on the programming of percussion folks, please.

So totally true........

Even the least bit of stiffness from a loop or midi file is like stamping the word .........DEMO..........on a CD jacket.

So many of the otherwise decent recordings suffer from poor and unrealistic drum tracks.

post edited by zungle - 2006/08/10 22:24:50
    Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 00:57:14 (permalink)
    Stop writing that song... now !

In fact... look... just give up making music entirely. You know that you're never going to write anything that doesn't suck, don't you ?

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 08:26:50 (permalink)
    Don't write about what you don't know.
    Don't pretend you've had a tough, violent, poor life when you live with your lawyer parents in a mansion in the burbs!
    If you rhyme enough to sound like Dr. Suess, rewrite.
    Don't take yourself too seriously.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 10:59:55 (permalink)
    LOL ! This is good stuff... the one I hate is that breathy.. chruchy.. type singing. I know folks who have a great voice with tons of tone but still insist on doing that crap.
    Jonny M
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 11:13:55 (permalink)
    The worst, in performing... and this generally comes from those manufactured boy band type rubbish...

Singing something that would be quite upsetting such as how someone they love has gone, or desperately wanting someone back etc, and SMILING throughout the WHOLE DARN PERFORMANCE!!!! Do they not pay attention to the words they're singing? Grr.

Oh, and when they write songs for young 'stars' and groups and they're talking about love with real adultlike emotions. It's like... You're A KID... a real love song by then would go "We shared a lollipop/It was strawberry/hehehe you're so cute/Eewww no I don't fancy you, go away(you're so cute)".
    Jonny M
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 11:17:57 (permalink)
    Ooh, another one..... When boybands go on about "their lyrics" when all they did was add the word 'baby' and rhyme 'fire' and 'desire'. SOMEONE ELSE WROTE IT FOR YOU - YOU'RE PUPPETS - ADMIT THE TRUTH AND GET OVER IT. Ahem. Ok, relaxed now.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 11:39:23 (permalink)
    Don't outsmart yourself with overly clever melodic or chord structures. Do what sounds right. Your audience doesn't care whether the song would get an A+ or a D in a composition class.

Don't overwrite. Have faith in the musicians and their performances.

Don't try to make every part of the song be the climax. A rollercoaster that stays up all the time isn't very exciting.

(for guitar players) Don't limit yourself to a handful of primary chord shapes. Make up chords. Play with voicings and different string combinations. Try changing parts of a chord instead of changing chords completely.

Don't think that every instrument has to be playing all the time.

Don't fall in love with your ideas. If you're not throwing away more good ideas than you're keeping, then your songs are probably not well put-together. Never be unwilling to revise something that doesn't feel right.

Cheers.
    Jonny M
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 12:09:28 (permalink)
    Don't think that every instrument has to be playing all the time.

Amen to that one! One of the biggest problems I have is that I'll get a nice sound from an instrument and the moment I introduce it I find it really difficult to get rid of in parts of a song. So it just sort of stays around.

My biggest problem is I tend to write with an acoustic guitar at first to get the rhytm and chord structures sorted. But then I get so used to that guitar I can't chop it. So it will just stay in the mix because I'm so used to hearing it.

My other problem, which I'm currently facing, is that I put a cello in an acoustic song I've written. It comes in at the beginning, reprises in the bridge and stays for the chorus (and instrumental). It sounds really lovely and mellow and creates a slightly haunting feel to the song (especially now I added more verb to that particular track than to the others). Problem is, I put in a nice little phrase that gently sweeps in and out at the end of the first verse but I can't stop with it anw, and I've copied/pasted that little sweeping phase at the end of every verse. It sounds good, but gets repetitive and you can predict when it's going to come in, what it's going to do when it does, and when it's going to go. It's kind of ok because it's almost like a cello riff, but I find that firstly I get bored hearing it all the time, secondly it lessens the impact of when I really want it's melody to shine.

I tried using it just on alternative verse endings instead, so it melted nicely into the bridge, but found then that once I'd taken it off some of the verses, those verses sounded like something was missing again (again, because I got 'used to it'). Darn it.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 12:17:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Slugbaby

Don't write about what you don't know.
    Don't pretend you've had a tough, violent, poor life when you live with your lawyer parents in a mansion in the burbs!
    If you rhyme enough to sound like Dr. Suess, rewrite.
    Don't take yourself too seriously.

LOL ! oops... all I write is fiction because my life is so boring there are no songs there. Scares the hell out of my family when they hear some of the content. Somehow they think all songs are autobiographical and can’t grasp the concept that I could write and sing about something I have not experienced. Yet, they don’t think Steven King is a real serial killer… I’m going to have to get even more extreme with my writing to drive the point home that there is no possible way that could be about me.
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 12:41:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: howieizme

2. Never open your lyrical opine with a “whoa whoa whoa yeaheeyeahhhhaaa”! Or an “alriiiight”!!!! Or even a “here we go”!

Or start a rap song with "yo, yo..."

Also, for us rockers, don't write a song about rockin' Yes, Judas Priest, I'm talking to you!

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 12:44:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

Scares the hell out of my family when they hear some of the content. Somehow they think all songs are autobiographical and can’t grasp the concept that I could write and sing about something I have not experienced

Yeah, not a good idea to play your wife that song you just wrote about cheatin' on your woman! "Honest, honey, it's just fiction..."
    yep
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 12:52:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey

ORIGINAL: Slugbaby

Don't write about what you don't know...

LOL ! oops... all I write is fiction...

I agree there's nothing wrong with imagining stuff that you don't know first-hand. Songs like "Mack the Knife" or "The Hurricane" or even "Sonny Came Home" were written and performed by people who had no experience of the stuff described. Same is true with Nick Cave's excellent album "Murder Ballads."

Practically the entire catalogue of Creedence Clearwater Revival is haggard, romanticised songs about the hardships and simple pleasures of life on the bayou sung by middle-class teenagers from the suburbs of San Francisco (and all done in a bizzare, vaguely yiddish accent no less-- boinin', toinin'-- who talks like that?). And that stuff is awesome, and even convincing if you don't think about it too hard. It's certainly entertaining.

"Art" is after all, derived from artifice, and there are still a few of us out there who still think that imagination and creativity are more interesting than sincerity.

Cheers.
    yep
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 13:13:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dlogan
    ...Also, for us rockers, don't write a song about rockin' Yes, Judas Priest, I'm talking to you!

All the best rock songs are always about rocking. "For those about to rock" "we will rock you" "rock you like a hurricane" "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" "Stop the Rock" "It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll" "Pure Rock Fury" "Rock N Roll Rebel"...

Even wistful rock ballads like "turn the page" "Into the great wide open" or "shooting star" are basically about the pensive, lonely side of rocking.

Let's face it, really kick-ass rock songs kind of HAVE to be about rocking, because nothing else kicks ass as much as rocking does. Political rock songs are basically screeds against stuff that doesn't rock. Rock love songs are... well, silly. Even the really good ones. Rock songs about breaking away from your parents or your small town are basically songs about yearning to rock.

It's a zen thing, rock. It's either in you or it isn't, and if it's in you, you've got to let it out, without shame or embarrassment. There's nothing more tedious and annoying than a rock band that's afraid to admit they're a rock band, or that does it all sort of winking and smirking, like they don't really mean it. After all that rock has done for them and for the world, they want to deny it. I hate that.

To those about to rock, I salute you.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2006/08/11 13:28:37
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 13:44:39 (permalink)
    well said, yep.

the true definition of ROCK in my book is the group of aging musicians who have been on tour for 30 years but still get on stage as if they are 22 yrs old and play rock and roll songs with reckless abandon because that is who they are. Kansas, Blue Oyster Cult, Skynrd, Rush... bring it on!

The Poodle Chews It.

Tom Roussell [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN WRITING YOUR SONG. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, BUD. 2006/08/11 13:51:40 (permalink)
    This is a duplicate post and is being locked. If you want to continue to contribute, please reply in the Songs forum.

Thanks!

Tom
    Cakewalk
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1