WHITE HORSES - New Song

Author
airmeki
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1598
2007/11/14 09:29:06 (permalink)

WHITE HORSES - New Song

Hello again. We are proud to present our latest song: WHITE HORSES.

This is our first (and probably only) cover of an existing song. It has been written and composed by Georg Danzer, probably one of the greatest and most talented Singer-Songwriter in the German-speaking music world. Unfortunately, he passed away earlier this year - and being a life-long fan and admirer of his work, I decided to create a remake of my favorite song of his - 'Weisse Pferde'.

This is a song about a dream he had, and when writing the lyrics (now in English) I attempted to 'continue dreaming his dream'. In his version he kept asking the same question: 'What it is, we should believe in'. In our version we 'ask him' if he now knew what it was we should believe in ...

As always, your comments and feedback are highly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Leona / David / Heinz
post edited by airmeki - 2007/11/14 09:41:38

28 Replies Related Threads

DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 09:41:09 (permalink)
    Bravo guys and gals, another great song and a wonderful tribute to Georg. Everyone involved did an outstanding job, and the mix is superb. Heinz, I noticed how the project started in June and didn't complete until November; are you working on numerous songs at one time? Do you work on them awhile and then let them sit awhile and come back to them? I was just wondering since whatever process you're using is working really well. Inquiring minds want to know!! Again, great work and congrats to all.

DuRod
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 09:41:27 (permalink)
    Hi there Heinz, nice to see you back with a new Heinz/David project! This is a very interesting and creative project; what a cool idea to take a favourite song and update it, I like that.

This is very well rendered, I don't know the original so can't compare, but I certainly enjoyed this. David's really cookin' on this one - great guitars. I particularly liked the nylon string fills, very tasteful.

One minor nit-pick would be the snare, which seems a little loud and insistent, I wouldn't mind hearing that back-off to half-time now and again, just to give the song some breathing space, but that's a personal preference kind of thing.

Excellent mix Heinz, very spacious and clean.

Good work guys, you're knocking 'em out!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 10:33:22 (permalink)
    Another great story, instrumentation, vocals and mix. You all always seem to put together wonderful songs that have a great story line and moving emotion to them. This is just another reason why as musicians are a great part of Gods plan and when we play from our hearts we can convey and share wonderful thoughts to share with a world that to me is missing His message. Peace, Love and Joy!
    Thank you all so very much for sharing this wonderful and beautiful story of this mans shearch and joy for music. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 13:51:38 (permalink)
    Heinz,
    I've never heard of Georg before ( that's because of the stupid Russian & Danish in me ), but I like this song. Great spanish flavor to it. Very provocative lyrics. I loved David's nylon string playing. Perfect for this! Heinz, your vox is always a pleasure to hear and the songs you pick are very thought-provoking. Bravo! Very thematic!
    post edited by lhansen - 2007/11/15 10:12:04

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 21:07:22 (permalink)
    Now this is cool. Flamenco with a Teutonic flavor. You guys make a great team.
    I'm not familiar with the original, Henz, but I can see how you would like it.
    Can you tell me now...the eternal question.
    Cool to hear Dave taking the lead vox, and smokin' on those guitars. I wish I could stand the feel of nylon strings. This makes me want to have a go at it. It is always nice to hear Leona in there. My wife and daughter have great singing voices, but they are horrificaly intimidated by the mic. Maybe someday...
    Heinz, I played only a minor part in helping you get your legs under you, but I am immensely proud of what you are producing.
    Don't break your stride!

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    clarkeo
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 21:09:32 (permalink)
    Hey Heinz, although I'm not familar with the original, I do like this a lot. Love the spanish sounding guitar parts. Mix is very good to my ears. Vocals sound very nice too! I really enjoyed this. Nicely done!

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 21:28:44 (permalink)
    Heinz

This is the second time I've tried and I can't get that page to finish loading and I can't get the tune to play. Probably something to do with my firewall I suppose as I don't see anyone else with the same problem. Sorry mate, I wish I could have heard it.
    airmeki
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 21:39:26 (permalink)
    Clark - Thank you for tuning in and for your wonderful comments! Glad you liked our new song.

Bob - Don't be humble ... you didn't just play a minor part! Thanks for the kudos. Yes, David had a lot to do on this track, no doubt. And he really nailed the guitar performances. When all was said and done - I was immensely proud of ourselves. Yes, we are a great team!

Larry - I don't think it has anything to do with your ancestry ... it's more likely that Georg wasn't well known outside the German speaking world (unlike fellow Austrian Falco, for example). He's delighted millions of people throughout his career which span three decades - his satirical and sometimes really provocative lyrics (in German) were always refreshing. If I dare, I'd compare him with the likes of Bob Dylan or Elvis Costello. In different ways, of course.
    White Horses was an exceptional experiment - for some reason he was never really very successful with this tune. I always loved it. I'm very proud of how it turned out.

John - I always appreciate your lovely words you have for us and our music. We absolutely appreciate your time and your feedback. This is very encouraging, and we thank you for being such a faithful listener!

James - Good to hear from you again, pal! Yeah, when you deal with drum loops this problem comes up every now and then ... you fix up one part of the drums (using EQ) which in turn throws another one out of whack ... one day, yes one day I'll play drums myself, real drums. I just know that! Thanks for your wonderful comments on the song and the mix, buddy!

Duane - Hey, always good to hear from ya. Thanks for your nice words on the song and the mix, and yes - David's outstanding guitar performances as well as his vox made it possible for the song to sound as it does. The reason why there is such a big gap between the 'started' and 'finished' dates ... well that's a long story. One day in an email I'll tell you the story. But another reason for the wait was the acquisition of a Nylon String Guitar ... David always wanted one, so he eventually got it.

Thanks again to all of you guys! Great to hear from you!

Heinz.

airmeki
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 21:42:10 (permalink)
    D'oh, Frank - I just posted my list of replies ... Could you kindly drop me an email so I can then send you one back with the song attached to it. I'd glady do this for you, pal. Look forward hearing your feedback. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

Heinz.

tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 22:57:30 (permalink)
    Very good bass guitar. Great guitar. Enjoyed.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/14 23:12:22 (permalink)
    Nice flamenco style. Strings very full sounding and mixed in well. Nice vocals and vocal effects. Performances show some intensity, or maybe determination is a better word. Sort of brooding but energetic. Nice clarity in the mix. Well done.
    kenk
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 02:42:19 (permalink)
    well done! i enjoyed listening. never heard of the song or writer before. thanks!
    peace,
    ken k

Ken K
    http://www.kenk.com

Intel Q6600::DP35DPM mobo::2Gb RAM::Radeon 1550::MOTU828 mk II::Sonar 7PE
    fixerman
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 03:37:50 (permalink)
    Wow Heinz that was cool... I really enjoyed that one. You know what that reminded me of? Have you ever heard of the band call "the Red Elvis'" ? They were or still are a fun band to watch and listen to. You guys got that same flavor on this tune.

MCPro24 , Sonar 4.0.4 Studio, HP Compac Presario laptop ,Widows Vista - 32 bit O.S, Conexant Hi-Def Smart Audio , Tascam US-122 ,  2 gig ram , 200 gig hard drive ,Intel Pentium Dual core. 

http://members.soundclick.com/Fixerman

fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 10:41:41 (permalink)
    Hey Heinz,

I got it to play this morning. Great job catching a spanish feel. The spanish guitar, bass and percussion are locked and creating a great spanish groove. Great recording, that bass is fat and sounds great. How was that done?

This mix is coming thru really clear, the kick drum, bass those are dialed in. Exceptional on those, don't remember a tune where I heard both of those instruments (that by their nature compete for many of the same frequencies) coming thru so clear. Did you scoop down some frequency's on the kick, if so where? What is that strumming sounding percussion instrument?

Vocals are strong also, and it sounds to me like Leona's voice is getting stronger. And David's lead vocal are real solid also.

Probably a preference thing, but I don't care for the electic lead guitar on this one. I'm hearing some real tasty fills on the acoustic guitar throughout this song and was wanting to hear the acoustic guitar move up front for a spanish style solo (replacing the electric guitar in that section).

Great job all.
    post edited by fep - 2007/11/15 10:44:34
    Bozak
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 326
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 10:42:19 (permalink)
    Hey Everyone, Just to add to Heinz comments, Both Leona and myself are so pleased that all you folks here in the forum take the time to listen and give such great feedback on our work. I spent a great deal of time on the guitar on this one and It is soooooo nice to know that you folks enjoyed it, also thanks for the kind words on my vox and Bass and on Leona's BGV's . I would like to invite everyone to visit our web page (not soundclick) use the link below. Again a BIG thanks to everyone.

Dave and Leona

AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 12:22:50 (permalink)
    Heinz,

Congrats on another song completed! That's great. You've done well on remaking this song. The vocal "na na na" reminds me of song Hungarian music I've heard.

A few suggestions:

Vocals - I'd see about increasing the reverb or just the "room size" on the reverb (at least in the beginning) to make the vocals sound less 'dry'.

Guitar - During the verse there is a flamenco run between each lyrical phrase. I'd try skipping one of two of those riffs, or just changing one or two so there are more sustained notes instead of a quick riff. It felt a little distracting to me with it occuring after every phrase.

Mix and the rest - The rest of it sounds very good to me. You've mixed this song well and each instrument is clearly distinguishable. It must be hard to translate a song and make the words fit into the same melody. Good work!

Matthew
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 12:49:48 (permalink)
    Good job laddies!!....enjoyed the song.
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 14:31:57 (permalink)
    I don't have any knowledge of the original but this sounds great, the intro kicks it off really well, everything in there is just right. Leona's voice is blended in beautifully and the acoustic sounds so smooth and yummy but, like i said, it's all good and gets top marks all round for performances too, really solid stuff.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 15:36:29 (permalink)
    Heinz and the gang: let me start out by saying that as much as I enjoyed this song, I really like your original material better. Nevertheless, this endeavor had a number of things to recommend it. David's lead vocal is strong and expressive, Leona fits in very well behind you. I liked the flourish of nylon string guitar, it reminded me of Al Stewart's Year of the Cat. Lead guitar sounds good, not overdone. Synth work is very subtle, could maybe come up just a tad in the mix, which is otherwise well done.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    airmeki
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 16:09:42 (permalink)
    Wow, I cant' catch up ...

Mark - Thank you for your honest thoughts on our original songs ... this is a true compliment. Very grateful for your comments on this song and the mix ... always a pleasure reading your opinion, as I really value them!

Nick - Long time - no hear! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your high praise you have for this song. I'm more than happy you liked it so much. Ta, Nick.

Tom - Glad you liked it ... thanks for the listen.

Matthew - Good to hear from you! Thanks for your thoughts on the song and for sharing your ideas and opinions. I am glad you liked this tune.

Frank - Hey, I'm glad it worked this time. Yeah, firewalls seem to do this to you sometimes (I personally hate them - but what can you do, eh?) Thanks for your time and for keep trying, pal. It's always a pleasure to read your feedbacks on our (actually - everyone's) song. Your thoughts are always so in-depth and straight forward, and I really want to thank you for that. To answer your question: The drums are actually loops. Therefore it would be hard to actually treat the kick alone and play with its frequencies. What I did, though, was a thorough boost on the low end on the drum track. I wanted the lows (in this case the low toms and the kick) to stand out a bit more and to 'play along' with David's superb bass line. Obviously (as mentioned in my previous post) the more you fiddle around in one area of the EQ, the more you might change the sound of another ... it's a delicate thing to find the right balance. It all comes down to your own judgment ...

Jeffrey - hey, it's been a while since I last heard from you. How have you been? Thanks for stopping by and for the listen.

Ken - Thanks for your time to leave us your feedback, Ken. Glad you liked the song.

Bill - Many thanks, my friend. Good to hear from you. We are always happy to hear your thoughts on our songs as they are always reassuring and very encouraging. Thanks.

Thomas - Thanks for sharing your joy with us. Gladly appreciated!

Thanks again to everyone!

Heinz.

MoXoM
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/15 18:57:16 (permalink)
    Hi Airmeki,

Loved this track! Great clean mix...loved the guitar playing (esp the nylon string playing).

Nice lyrics and well recorded vocals as well.

Excellent job!

Regards,

---------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------
    MoXoM

www.theHIDDEN.net
    jfstudio1
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 456
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/16 20:16:04 (permalink)
    ~~White horses~~

Hi there Heinz

Beautiful song!!!
    spanish guitar / gypsy style

Cool :)

Thanks for all too.Have a great weekend:)

J.Feitor

http://www.myspace.com/jfeitor

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=747192

Project5V2.5,MusicCreator4,WinVista,XiFI,MixYamaha,
    Korg , Fender Strats, Takamine,Amps:Marshall,Fender Deluxe Rev1965,
    RigPa
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 437
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/16 20:20:54 (permalink)
    It is so nice to enter this forum with all those talented musicians around and then listen to this one. The lyrics go deep and touches one of my life themes. The sound is fabolous and the voices are perfect in the mix. You guys make so many songs in such a speed and I am deeply impressed. I love this spanish theme. I can almost se the girls dancing in dresses as colorful as the music, around a black panther, stamping their high heeled shoes in the floor in a little outdoor cafe in a little dusty, dry, sunny, southern place....

Keep 'em coming - I am waiting for more...

Cincerely

David
    airmeki
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/17 18:22:05 (permalink)
    Moxom - thanks for listening and for your nice comments. Glad you liked it!

Joao - well, I already thought you'll miss out on that one ... thanks for stopping by. Your colorful feedbacks are always welcome!

David - What can I say ... I am always delighted to hear from you my friend. We don't see you very often these days, but when do we are happy to read your comments! So, when will the world hear a new one coming from RigPa?

Thanks guys!

Heinz.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/19 10:33:02 (permalink)
    Hey, Heinz! Sorry I've not been around much in the songs forum lately. I've been pretty busy.

I appreciate your invitation, but I'm having problems with your song site as well. it locks up on that page and won't play and eventually IE shuts down and I get the "do you want to send this error to Microsoft" pop up.

I'll try again at home, but so far I haven't been able to listen to it. sorry, buddy!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/19 20:55:16 (permalink)
    Got it to work at home! must be something with the firewall at work!

great work, guys! love the spanish guitar! the vocals are really good on this too. nice job!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    KenJr
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/19 22:10:31 (permalink)
    cool song - nice work.

Bass is really boomy to me. I played on my Klipsch PC speakers and in headphones and both gave the same results.

Your vocals sound like you are singing through a tin can - very thin and sounds like you are standing 10 feet away from the mic.

Cool song though!

My Gear/Studio Pics
    My Music

<--Yes, that's a Paul Reed Smith acoustic...and I want one!!
    airmeki
    RE: WHITE HORSES - New Song 2007/11/20 09:19:02 (permalink)
    Reece - thanks for your persistence. Glad you finally got it to work. We really appreciate your nice comments on our song, thanks!

Ken - Thanks for tuning in. Well, with respect to the boomy bass and the tin-sounding vox ... I don't know what to say: On my monitors everything sounds fine. And everyone in this thread so far didn't seem to hear those problems you've mentioned ...

Thanks guys.

Heinz.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1