WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/07/17 20:46:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

ORIGINAL: Jose7822

ORIGINAL: bapu

Prior to this test I was running WDM. For the purposes of the "multiple" tests I only used ASIO.

I will retest the WDM process with 64 and 128 Sample Buffers.

What Sample Buffers does your friend use?

I can't remember. I know it was a low number, maybe 48 or something like that. I'll give him a call in a sec, brb.

EDIT: Sorry, I couldn't get a hold of him. I left a message on his cell-phone so I'll get back at you when he calls back. But I think we used the lowest buffer the FW-1884 could do in order to have the lowest latency available and then use the latency slider in Sonar if a higher latency was needed. It was most likely 64 or 128 at the highest (48 is actually the lowest buffer in the FF400 not the FW-1884, I got confused :-P).

Take care!

Jose,

Did you friend ever get back to you?

No. I think he's out of town 'cause he hasn't returned my calls which is uncommon in him. Maybe he forgot his cell phone at home or something . But, in any case, I'm pretty sure that we used the lowest latency/buffer size available to the FW-1884 because that's what I do whenever I help a friend with their setup and WDM/KS is the best choice for them. This allows them to have the lowest latency possible (at least the lowest the system can handle) and use the latency slider in Sonar if adjustments need to be made. This is the best way to work when using WDM. With ASIO things are a little bit more tedius because we have to change buffer sizes everytime we adjust our latency, but it also has its benefits (depending on the drivers of course).

Anyways, we're supposed to jam next week so I'll let you know what he has it set to when I talk to him. My apologies :-P

Take care!
Treefight
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 868
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/07/20 14:19:30 (permalink)
Folks, please help with this brain-teaser: I previously posted on this thread that I got the CEntrance test working on the asio drivers for one interface, but couldn't get it to work on my Mackie 1200f. Well, finally, by changing the "Input sensitivity" on the CEntrance test window from the default of -12 to -24, I was able to take a measurement. It would only take measurements on the -24 setting. All others gave me an error message.

So I tried this with three different Buffer size/Latency settings on the Mackie's asio panel: 64, 128, and 256. I got pretty different results with each, and I'm just wondering if that's normal or if the results are supposed to be consistent, regardless of Buffer size setting? In one post, someone said your interface's setting could be set to anything, it wouldn't affect the final manual offset number. As background, my other interface's offset was 21, no matter what Buffer size I used.

So the Mackie's results were as follows (caveat below re: variable CE numbers on consecutive tests):

(CEntrance roundtrip latency) - (ASIO Reported Latency) - (Buffer Size/Latency) = Manual Offset:

539 - 256 - 64 - 219

651 - 384 - 128 = 139

939 - 640 - 256 = 43

As you can see, the offset number varies from 43 to 219! Is that "normal," i.e., if/when I change the Mackie's asio panel's buffer settings during tracking, I need to change the manual offset as well to maintain correct or close to correct timing? No big deal if it does mean that, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time on results that are somehow or another incorrect.

Oh, another thing that seems odd - when I run multiple consecutive tests at any buffer setting, the CEentrance rountrip latency number did NOT stay the same. So, for example, at 64 samples asio setting, the CE roundrip latency would be 510, then 493, then 539, and so on and so on. What of this? Does this mean it isn't working or that I should just take the average of several test results and use that in the equation?

Thanks very much in advance!

Stuff.
jim y
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 721
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/07/21 01:52:58 (permalink)
Before trusting the Centrance results, I would check the loopback in recording software like Sonar - you need...
1. Matching signal level from output to input.
2. Correct polarity (not inverted).
3. No DC offset.
It's quite possible somehow the input is either too hot or not hot enough.

You should run any test at least 3 times to check for consistent results.

It's possible Firewire does not have consistent transmission delays or a particular driver doesn't.

As it's possible to check the offset in Sonar, I would do it there. Centrance is not Sonar, so a measure from one isn't necessarily good for the other, although it probably ought to be.

Jim

Yes, I know it's upside down.
Treefight
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 868
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/07/21 07:35:51 (permalink)
Thanks, Jim.

Would you mind explaining how I check the loopback in Sonar, exactly? And once I do that, then what - is the result in lieu of CEntrance's analysis or something I use with CEntrance's?

Thanks again.

Stuff.
jim y
  • Total Posts : 721
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/07/21 11:31:03 (permalink)
It should be way back in this thread - but you just re-record with a loopback connection from your interfaces monitor output a bit of audio with an easily recognised attack shape to measure from. Have the timeline ruler set to samples. Snapping if enabled needs to be to zero crossings only. Drag select the distance between the attacks of the test clip and the recording - and that's your measure of the offset. You should definitely have "use ASIO reported latency" checked. While zoomed in, you should easily be able to compare the waveform of the recording against the test clip.

I also think you need an otherwise clear project - no plug-ins and no track eq enabled.

The same test works for WDM/KS, ASIO or MME, while Centrance only works for ASIO. Being automatic, Centrance will be judging the attack by some threshold level of a test "ping" - but unless the interface is rendering it back as exactly as possible, that threshold could be shifted in time from the real attack of the test signal. Personally, I'd rather be able to see the whole thing for myself. It is somewhat of a pain if your interface doesn't like letting you change ASIO buffers while the driver is in use - so you have to close Sonar before changing the drivers buffer. Some drivers will crash if you don't close the DAW program first.

That said, once you've checked the interface is rendering the test clip back without distortion, significant level change or inversion, you should be able to continue using Centrance with more confidence.

Jim

Yes, I know it's upside down.
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/07/21 17:48:18 (permalink)
Before trusting the Centrance results, I would check the loopback in recording software like Sonar

+1

If the CEntrance-reported round-trip time changes from one test to the next at the same buffer setting, then either CEntrance is mis-detecting the onset of the returning ping, or there's something wrong with the the Mackie's driver that is producing variable latency. If you do several manual loopback tests back-to-back, and you get an inconsistent offset (with ASIO reported latency compensation enabled), that would tend to point to the driver as the problem. But if you get a consistent offset in SONAR, then you can just use that value and ignore whatever problem CEntrance is having.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Lay In Wait
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1764
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/07/21 21:43:24 (permalink)
Before trusting the Centrance results, I would check the loopback in recording software like Sonar

I did this for my testing and found that both results where identical.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
Xavier
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 563
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 11:34:40 (permalink)
Please remove the "SOLVED" from the thread title and replace it with "BAND-AIDED"!

This is NOT SOLVED!

When Sonar detects a new audio or MIDI device in your system, it should run it's own automated loop-back tests at all buffer settings and at least a few system stress levels. It should save these results to a table and you should never have to worry about it!

The two most fundamental parts of music are time and frequency. It's just absolutely wrong that we can't can't depend on the timing of our DAW! Doesn't this seem obscene to anyone?

And I can't believe that after many many versions of complaining, we can't depend on the metronome to be in time. It's not like some feature isn't working correctly, this is FUNDAMENTAL to recording music!
evansmalley
  • Total Posts : 715
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 12:45:49 (permalink)
It's just absolutely wrong that we can't can't depend on the timing of our DAW!

I do totally agree. But all you can do for now is a good "ping test" for your own system and compensate. I think I saw that the newest upgrade to 8 is an improved ping test. At least perhaps they are listening...

But, yeah, timing is part of job one for a decent DAW and it should be radically improved.
Xavier
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 14:29:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: evansmalley
I think I saw that the newest upgrade to 8 is an improved ping test.

Are you talking about the Sonar 8.3 Announcement? And I quote "The "ping" test has also been improved to consistently return sample accurate offsets without any further adjustments."

Uh. Where is the ping test now?

Well if it's a full implementation this time, I'll be very relieved. I'm to the point of buying a Mac so I can run Logic and see if that's any better. I'm happy with everything but all the timing issues in Sonar. I know it's driver related. But I keep hearing that the compensation is much better in other DAWs.

For General Background...

The "Nudge" feature was introduced in S4 because of this issue, reported here on the forum. That was a huge band-aid, but at least it had 3 nudges.

Recording Latency Adjustment introduced in S6 was close to a fix, but it still fell way short. It needs to be input/output type related AND driver type AND buffer setting related. AES and SPDIF I/O's can have different loop-back latencies than and analog I/O's on the same sound card. Some sound cards will have different latencies depending on the buffer setting, and generally have different latencies between driver types. The fact that the Nudge was introduced with 3 Nudges hints that Cake knew all this. When it was announced that the Recording Latency Adjustment would be introduced, we pointed this out to Cake and they seemed to acknoledge this.

Users simply shouldn't have to know the gory technical details about all this to get tight recordings. If it's not tight, it should be that the user can't play in time, not because they didn't know that their subharmonic nutrinizer had to be used to calibrate the dilithium crystals to localized temporal drift of their sound card -- unless it's a full moon, of course.

But all you can do for now is a good "ping test" for your own system and compensate.

BTW, there is an article in the Wiki about all this.

I personally wouldn't use CEntrance to do the test. It may not account for everything Sonar does to the signal. In any event, make sure you test your final settings in Sonar with a loop-back test after you enter the number in Sonar's "Recording Latency Adjustment". It's really great to see it line up to the sample!

Also, if you are also connected digitally to anything (AES, SPDIF) try doing loop backs with that -- it will prolly be different. For instance, I use a POD. Loopback chain: Playback from Sonar -> sound card Analog out -> POD Guitar In -> POD AES out -> sound card AES in -> to record in Sonar. (Use clean setting on POD).

Of couse that's for playing along with tracks already recorded. If you are re-amping digitally the loop-back chain would be: Playback from Sonar -> Soundcard AES -> POD AES in -> POD AES out -> Soundcard AES in -> Record in Sonar.

and so on....
evansmalley
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 15:23:41 (permalink)
why is it natural to want to say "hey xav!"?

Well... I don't know... but I think this has been discussed much and I think you're right- but in practice this has been found to be an unfortunate artifact of Windows and free choice.

If you want stuff that just works out of the box you have to get a system like Mac and Avid which ABSOLUTELY WORK (yeah, right!... tried 'em?) but keep dictating what devices and softwares you to have. And that's fair for them to do- if you want them to provide a repeatably dependable system.

But you just can't really seem to get that (so far) with the many options that Windows and Sonar offer you.

That's why I like Sonar! The freedom to make a system that suits you (and which you can AFFORD!!!).

But the responsibility to manage and create it's working system stays with you, the cheap-a** shopper who buys all kinds of weird stuff!

Yeah, it's only reasonable for an app to set your audio files into your DAW on time. But, ummm... it's hard to so with a zillion user variables. So you can go with Mac and those absolutes- but I chose Windows and what I could get to work with it and what I could afford. It's a REAL BAD problem so you have to educate yourself and do the best you can with what you have- if that's the way you want to go.

But keep bugging Cakewalk about it. Just realize that you're not buying and paying for ProTools HD with integrated hardware. I've tried both and I like Sonar much much better. And it saved me THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of dollars!

it's really not that bad if you just roll up your sleeves and fix it-
Ev
www.evanandnature.net
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 16:14:36 (permalink)
It's not really practical to make delay compensation completely automatic without some kind of loopback, because SONAR can't automatically tell a given I/O combination in advance from all the possible I/O combinations out there. But some steps can be taken toward automation and management of this. A reliable automated loopback test is a great first step (as a Wizard, GUI, or both). The next step would be to enable saving of the measured compensations, as a kind of setup-preset with an associated name. That way, users could save multiple presets and call then up as needed when same or similar setups are used. As a convenience, presets could be assigned as defaults, or set to come up as defaults when certain inputs or outputs are used (helped further by having the named inputs and outputs).

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Xavier
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 18:49:33 (permalink)

why is it natural to want to say "hey xav!"?

Well, that would fit your Avatar. Hey back!

it's really not that bad if you just roll up your sleeves and fix it-

I've been doing that since Sonar 2 (I wrote the Wiki article I linked to), and I'm tired of it and shouldn't have to. If we can manage it, the software can manage it.

Losguy, what you describe is almost exactly what I'm talking about.

A Wizard with a GUI and instructions and it's own ping test. The first time you install new hardware, Sonar already knows about it, and all it's I/O's. The wizard should guide you through loop backs on all the different types of I/Os (Analog & digital) you plan to use, do the pings in all those cases, and remember the settings. Sonar pretty much knows what outputs you are listening on, or could easily be told. And when you activate a track for record it should know what compensation it should use from your Wizard tests.

And I agree that you can't hide all this stuff from the users, because we could be hiding things from Sonar that would cause extra delay. So yes, presets are a must. I envision a "delay compensation preset" menu-box on each track right next to the Input selection. Sonar should have no problem choosing the right preset, but if you happen to be going through some delay causing process outside of Sonar's scope, you just choose a different preset and record.

Maybe this converstion is moot, and they got it right in 8.3. I'm not holding my breath.
evansmalley
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 19:04:06 (permalink)
some steps can be taken toward automation and management of this. A reliable automated loopback test is a great first step (as a Wizard, GUI, or both). The next step would be to enable saving of the measured compensations, as a kind of setup-preset with an associated name. That way, users could save multiple presets and call then up as needed when same or similar setups are used. As a convenience, presets could be assigned as defaults, or set to come up as defaults when certain inputs or outputs are used (helped further by having the named inputs and outputs).

yes- both you and Xav are exactly right on
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 21:32:07 (permalink)
A feature request including the above would be a good thing. Did you happen to put one in already, Xav? (I may do that anyway, and link our above posts.)

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Xavier
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/01 22:44:57 (permalink)
I have not recently and never to that detail. I'll submit one after checking 8.3 out. Cake has been know to take our feature requests to the next level on other things. Maybe they've finally one-up'ed us on this one too?

Now I'm wondering if we need to do some sort of frequency test. I have noticed sometimes that tracks seem more out of tune than when I recorded them

neiby
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 765
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/02 00:21:45 (permalink)

Mark,

You're confusing the "Timing Offset (msec)" box with the "Manual Offset" box (which is found down lower on the left side of the Audio Options window). You want to use the latter for the sample offset. Take your roundtrip latency of 655 samples, minus the ASIO Reported Latency (???), minus the I/O buffer size of 128 samples. That will give you the number of samples you're gonna input in the Manual Offset box. Be sure to verify the results by doing the other latency test (the one for both ASIO/WDM).

Hope This Helps!

I just did the same thing! I ran the loopback test and did the math, then set the Timing Offset to +48, but I noticed it was in msec, which didn't make any sense to me since all the other values were in samples. I ended up needing to use +48 in the manual offset.
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/02 04:59:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Xavier

Now I'm wondering if we need to do some sort of frequency test. I have noticed sometimes that tracks seem more out of tune than when I recorded them

Are you serious, or just being sarcastic? Sorry, I can't tell here :-)
Xavier
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/02 11:05:06 (permalink)

To the best of my knowledge with emoticons, a smile with a wink ;-) or is the best one to use for sarcastic joking. Is there a better one for that?
post edited by Xavier - 2009/02/02 11:15:31
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2009/02/02 15:10:09 (permalink)

To the best of my knowledge with emoticons, a smile with a wink ;-) or is the best one to use for sarcastic joking. Is there a better one for that?

Everyone uses emoticons in different ways which is why I wasn't sure about how you meant that. I personally would've used this one for sarcastic joking. Thanks for clarifying though.

Take care!
Martin Barret
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2010/05/10 13:24:12 (permalink)
ANOTHER FIX:  Thank you first of all to JOSE - your solutions cleared up my problems re midi playing to audio results.  I was hoping it would clear up my issues with audio recording which was resulting in a track that was always 7 ticks early - drove me insane. 

Here's the trick that worked for me:   I unticked the box right beside the manual offset box - the one that says, "USE ASIO Reported LATENCY".  By unticking this, my audio tracks playback true to my playing/input timing.  Cool! 

Hope this works for others too!

Martin Barret
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2010/05/10 17:49:49 (permalink)
unticked the box right beside the manual offset box - the one that says, "USE ASIO Reported LATENCY". 

I think what happened is you calculated your manual offset based on numbers obtained with Reported latency correction disabled. So you built the reported latency into your offset. The problem with this is it will change with the buffer setting, but your manual offset won't.

You need to redo the offset measurement with ASIO Reported Latency compensation enabled. Depending on your interface, you should end up with a manual offset on the order of 10s of samples. I'm guessing you're in the hundreds now...?

Jose7822
Re: RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2010/05/11 14:20:16 (permalink)
Martin,

Be aware that unchecking "USE ASIO Reported LATENCY" will give you the wrong offset the moment you change your buffer size/latency value.  IOW, you're stuck to one latency value for recording/mixing/mastering and that is simply not an effective way to work.  I would do as Brundlefly suggests.

HTH

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
Martin Barret
Re: RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2010/05/11 14:33:05 (permalink)
Okay - sounds good.  Now all I have to do is find my aud.ini file.  I've had no luck in locating it even with a search?  Is it still called that in version 8.03?  What am I missing here.  I want to delete it and rebuild/reprofile.  I found my aud.ini file in previously installed versions 5.0 and 4.0, but even after renaming them, I now cannot locate any other version of an aud.ini file.  Am I losing it?

Thanks...(I'll repost this if I don't hear back on this thread).

Martin B.
Martin Barret
Re: RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2010/05/11 14:35:09 (permalink)
Sorry - never mind me...I found it.  Weird....

MB
treesbygb
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2011/06/28 11:37:32 (permalink)
I'm using Home studio 7 XL,
and when I look at the advanced tab in the audio window, there is no such thing as a "reported latency" number at the bottom right hand side of the screen. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2011/06/28 12:58:40 (permalink)
Are you using WDM or ASIO drivers?
We need a little (alot really) more info on your set up.

Follow the link in my signature, and the basics of "getting in sync" with Sonar are there.
Its FW-1884 specific, but the basics are the same...

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2011/06/28 16:01:13 (permalink)
This is a very old thread,, you need to start your self a new thread with the proper topic etc... You are also in the wrong forum. There is a seperate forum for Home studio, not that it matters much, they pretty close to the same anyhow. But the people there will now which features are included. Sonar has more stuff to it.
It also helps if you list your system specs and which OS and interface you are using.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1