Waiting For You - needs bass

Author
mikehattem
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 195
2005/01/03 08:17:10 (permalink)

Waiting For You - needs bass

Here's another of my bass-deficient songs. I think all its missing is a simple bassline to reinforce the descending bass notes of the picking pattern (song is in A played in G capoed at 2nd fret). If anybody wants to try it I can email you the chord chart if needed. Also any feedback you guys have on the song itself would be appreciated. I recorded it in one take with my MXL990 placed about 1 1/2 to 2 feet in front of me through my ART TUBE MP and nailed it in one go about an hour after I had written it. All feedback greatly appreciated.

"Waiting For You" at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/mikehattemmusic.htm

Mike Hattem

23 Replies Related Threads

mwalter
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/03 12:49:08 (permalink)
    Great song.

Guitar sounds nice, but man you can hear some weird reflections in your room. I'd try to deaden the room a bit, then re-record the vocals.

Nice job
    Chad Beattie
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/04 12:42:40 (permalink)
    I really liked this song. It has a great feeling to it, and you have a very nice sound to your voice. I listened to some other tracks you have posted (also very good) and see what you mean about missing bass. On this tune though, with just your voice and guitar, I am not sure how it would sound with bass versus some of your other stuff with drums etc... For example, listening to "It's in the way", I could hear what the bass would be playing in my head. On this song, I couldn't hear it as much, like it didn't need it. If you want though, I can attempt to put some bass to this song or any other ones you would like. I am not an expert at bass, but have one and use it to put bass on stuff I write. I have Sonar 4PE. I am not sure if it is best to just import the MP3 and then add the bass and export it back out to mp3 or what. Anyway, I can mess with it tonight and post the results later. If you want to contact me via email before I do anything, you can reach me at

chadcb <~AT~> gmail <~DOT~> com (Gotta love spam prevention tactics)
    mikehattem
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/04 18:26:07 (permalink)
    Chad - if you want to add bass to any of the other songs on Soundclick let me know which ones and I can send you an mp3 or wav. I was kind of thinking of leaving this one without the bass but if you want to put bass to Its IN THe Way or Dont Want To See You Go or even Dont Take It Too Hard let me know. BTW, I did these songs with GT3 Pro.

Mike Hattem
    < Message edited by mikehattem -- 1/4/2005 6:34:04 PM >
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/04 20:09:09 (permalink)
    hi mike,
    i enjoyed the tune very much .. do you record most of
    your stuff single take / single mic? If so, you might want to
    try using two figure-8 patterned mics ... one on-axis for voice
    and the other off-axis for guitar ... i think it would fill up the
    sound space nicely and allow you to process the two
    independently with pretty good separation ( depending on the
    fidelity of the pattern ). it's been done for thousands of years for
    singer-songwriter types .....
    jeff
    mikehattem
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/04 23:37:46 (permalink)
    jm

this one I recorded with just one large diaphragm condenser (MXL990) placed about 1-2 feet in front of me through an ART TUBE MP preamp. I use a Line6Guitar Port as my input so I only have one. I have a little Behringer mixer in case I need to use two mics for one take but this one was one take, one track guitar and vocals on one track with one mic. I'[m sure I could get better overall fidelity if I recorded the two parts separately overdubbing the vocal but since I had just finished the song i wanted to get a quick take because I always play my own songs the best in the first day or two after writing them. I've actually been considering getting the EMU card or the Tascam 122 so I could do just that. Also it would be nice to be able to record the acoustic guitar with a large di on axis and a thin condenser off the neck so I could blend them into a lot more interesting acoustic tone. thanks for the kind words.

Mike
    < Message edited by mikehattem -- 1/4/2005 11:47:39 PM >
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/05 00:44:56 (permalink)
    ok .. thanks for clarifying .. do think about the figure-8 .. mic'ing .. because
    it allows for a lot of tuning of ambience in the space ( by flipping phase, etc).
    and .. you don't have to re-track the vox if you nail it .. but .. if you have to
    retrack, the separation of guitar from vox is good enough that you can
    retrack if need be (assuming you've got good off-axis rejection mics)....

jeff
    Chad Beattie
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/06 00:14:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikehattem

Chad - if you want to add bass to any of the other songs on Soundclick let me know which ones and I can send you an mp3 or wav. I was kind of thinking of leaving this one without the bass but if you want to put bass to Its IN THe Way or Dont Want To See You Go or even Dont Take It Too Hard let me know. BTW, I did these songs with GT3 Pro.

Mike Hattem

I am just about done with "Its In The Way". I messed around with a few bass parts the last few nights and think I have something that supports the song well. I am hoping to have it finished by tomorrow or Friday and will post the updated version. If you like how it turns out, I will work on adding bass to the other songs you would like.
    Yasoo
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/08 22:41:12 (permalink)
    Hi Mike -

Hello. Nice to meet you.

I recorded a bass part for "Waiting For You". If you are interested, I have a Monkey compressed .wav that you can download at:

Waiting For You Bass

It's a dry track with no compression or anything. It sounds pretty decent in the mix as is. The start of the clip is lined up with the very first guitar note of the song. If you line the clip up just a couple samples to the left of that, it should be in line. Either that, or it's pretty easy to figure out where the first bass note lines up. Let me know what you think. I think it would sound a little better on a fretless, but mine is out of commision right now.

Here's a .mp3 of it mixed in raw as is (it could use with a little compression, eq, and reverb):

Waiting For You.mp3
    < Message edited by Yasoo -- 1/8/2005 11:10:31 PM >
    Chad Beattie
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 03:47:21 (permalink)
    Mike,

Here is "It's In The Way" with the bass part added in. There are no effects on the bass, just did it in one shot to get the idea down. If you like it, I can create a better version, but wanted to see what you thought of it first.

The version with bass added can be downloaded here: Mike Hattem - It's In The Way - Bass Added.mp3

Yasoo,

Sounds like you are a damn good bass player. I think what you did for "Waiting For You" sounds awesome. As I am not really a bass player myself, I am trying to learn how to best support a song with the bass. (not playing too much, not playing to little, etc...). I would appreciate any input on the bass part I added to "It's In The Way".

Thanks

PS: Mike, I am really digging your tunes. Got a few of them stuck in my head now which is a good thing You are a very good song writer and singer IMO.
    Yasoo
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 16:19:23 (permalink)
    Thank you, Chad. I used to play bass a lot. It's a little sloppy, but it was tough keeping up with Mike's inner-measure tempo fluxuations (<wink> at Mike). I think the bass you put to "It's in the Way" is nice and solid. I think there's a little room to spice it up a bit in the chorus. I guess it only comes once.
    mikehattem
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 17:53:52 (permalink)
    Chad,

How can you send me a .wav file or (.mp3 if necessary) so I can import it into my project file and redo the final mix. I like the part alot, it definitely adds alot to the song. Alot of insecure bass players and drummers (and gtrsts too) tend to overplay but your bassline served the song FIRST and that's the best part. Thanks for the kind words about the songs too man.

Yasoo
    I liked this part too. Both of these songs tend to "shift tempos" and certain parts of the song. If you were sitting there with me you could feel it better I imagine. Anyway, I kinda thought of this song just being like a solo thing but the bass part actually makes it move a little more and relieves the steadiness of the picking pattern. I ask the same thing of you... to send me a wav of the bass line so I can remix the song.

I just finished a new song DESPERATELY IN NEED OF BASS. I'll post it on my soundclick site and let you guys have a go. This one will be a lot more fun than the last two since they were ballads. This one started out ballad-like but the feel changed a bit when I added a shuffle loop. I put the chords in the lyrics page but I capoed at the 2nd fret so transpose it from Am to Bm. "NO MEMORY".

Mike Hattem
    http://mikehattem.tripod.com
    < Message edited by mikehattem -- 1/9/2005 6:24:19 PM >
    rgfors
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1068
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 18:00:44 (permalink)
    Nice tune Mike. The vocals have too much reverb and the guitar doesn't occupy much space in the stereo field. Perhaps copy the guitar track and pan one left and the other right to fill it out a bit.

Very nice song, just needs some polish in the mixing..

Randy
    Listen to my "stuff" at:
    http://www.21st-parallel.com
    View my pictures at:
    http://www.justshootmestudios.com
    mikehattem
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 18:34:17 (permalink)
    rgfors

which song are you talking about?? and did you hear it w/ or w/out the bass that chad and yasoo added.

Mike
    Yasoo
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 19:37:25 (permalink)
    Yasoo
    I ask the same thing of you... to send me a wav of the bass line so I can remix the song.

I gave you the link to the .wav. See my earlier post.

Yeah I know you shift tempos. I found that out when I tried to play along. Thing is, you speed up and slow down within measures. It's actually hard to play to.
    < Message edited by Yasoo -- 1/9/2005 7:44:54 PM >
    mikehattem
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 19:47:12 (permalink)
    If I dl the .ape file is that "importable" into GT3??
    i've never worked with ape files

btw, i had just written the song before I recorded it plus I was still trying to nail the picking pattern I was using which probably accounts for the time not being so steady I didn't even think to use a click track since I was just trying to get the song down. Try to put something to "No Memory" on my soundclick site. That's a song crying out for bass and I KNOW you could do it justice.

Mike Hattem
    < Message edited by mikehattem -- 1/9/2005 8:01:02 PM >
    Yasoo
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 21:06:58 (permalink)
    Hehe. I hear ya, I was just razzin' ya, man. :) If you record it again, lemme know, I'll play it again. I think the vocals are buzzing in a couple spots like you were in the mic too hot also. I dropped the midrange by about 12dB to smooth it a bit.

The .ape file is a Monkey's Audio compressed file. It's like WinZip for audio files (WinZip won't compress audio that much - it's meant for text). I researched it for a few months and tried other stuff (like WinRAR) and it compresses the most. And, it's free!!! Gotta like that! Here's the link to their website:

Monkey's Audio

O.K., I'll check out that new song too.
    < Message edited by Yasoo -- 1/9/2005 9:15:06 PM >
    Chad Beattie
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/09 23:59:27 (permalink)

Chad,

How can you send me a .wav file or (.mp3 if necessary) so I can import it into my project file and redo the final mix. I like the part alot, it definitely adds alot to the song. Alot of insecure bass players and drummers (and gtrsts too) tend to overplay but your bassline served the song FIRST and that's the best part. Thanks for the kind words about the songs too man.

Glad you liked it. Before I put it up for download, can you tell me if you know what sample rate/bit depth it needs to be at for your software? I want to make sure it matches the rest of the WAV files in your project.

Thanks

Edit: Also, I wanted to say I enjoyed doing this. I think Yasoo said he might add bass for "No Memory", so I will wait on that one to see what Yasoo does. If you have any preference on which song you would like bass added to next, I will be glad to give it a shot.
    < Message edited by Chad Beattie -- 1/9/2005 11:10:32 PM >
    mikehattem
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/10 08:41:32 (permalink)
    It's 16/44.1 I assume. I never changed the settings from their default but I know its not 24/48 or 96.

Mike
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/10 10:49:27 (permalink)
    Mike, Nice tune. As mwalter points out, your recording environment / method needs to be straightened out. Although it's impressive that you did this in one take, to get a good vocal line, you should focus just that. Then go back and track the guitar to get a good clean signal.

Chad, Nice add on bass.
    mikehattem
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/10 21:03:18 (permalink)
    When I'm doing something for "keeps" I would always track everything seperately but since I had just finished writing the song I wanted to get it down as quick as possible so I just set up the mic and let it go. Of course I could get a much "better" recording but I also wanted to get the earliest performance possible because the best I ever play a song is the first couple of times right after I've finished it. As for the "environment", I am recording in my basement which is a nightmare, acoustically speaking. It's probably one of the biggest factors holding back my recordings. It gets extremely frustrating, especially during mixing. Combine the bad space with the old Sony stereo speakers I use for monitors (which are naturally bass happy) and it takes a lot of work just to get a decent mix. The environment is so sonically unreliable that I usually mix with headphones (thats how bad it is). Anyway, enough complaining by me. I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for all their kind words.

Mike Hattem
    http://mikehattem.tripod.com
    < Message edited by mikehattem -- 1/11/2005 2:16:17 PM >
    Chad Beattie
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/11 19:36:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Yasoo

Thank you, Chad. I used to play bass a lot. It's a little sloppy, but it was tough keeping up with Mike's inner-measure tempo fluxuations (<wink> at Mike). I think the bass you put to "It's in the Way" is nice and solid. I think there's a little room to spice it up a bit in the chorus. I guess it only comes once.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree with you on the chorus, it does sound a bit empty in that area with the bass. I am going to mess around with it a bit more as soon as I get a chance. Hopefully tonight.
    Chad Beattie
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/11 19:37:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Mike, Nice tune. As mwalter points out, your recording environment / method needs to be straightened out. Although it's impressive that you did this in one take, to get a good vocal line, you should focus just that. Then go back and track the guitar to get a good clean signal.

Chad, Nice add on bass.

ed_mcg,

Thank you, I appreciate the comment about the bass.
    Chad Beattie
    RE: Waiting For You - needs bass 2005/01/14 13:59:51 (permalink)

It's 16/44.1 I assume. I never changed the settings from their default but I know its not 24/48 or 96.

Mike

Sorry this took so long, finally got a chance last night to get the file exported out and uploaded. Here is the bass line I added exported to 16/44.1.

It's In The Way - Bass Only
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1