Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
2017/07/28 01:25:22 (permalink)

Waiting for Johnny

Hi everybody - it's been a long time! 

Anyway, here's Waiting for Johnny, which shouldn't be confused with Waiting for Skinnybones, which I sincerely hope and believe that nobody did:

New Link: https://soundcloud.com/laura-thomson-723335445/waiting-for-johnny-july-2017

It's raw but there you go! :)
Hope somebody might give it a listen ... 

LJ
post edited by skinnybones lampshade - 2017/07/28 13:47:15

35 Replies Related Threads

mcmd
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 11:27:15 (permalink)
    Very enjoyable with lots of movement and melodic twists and turns.
    Vocals seen great down the middle. The piano is stepping on the vocal, so maybe some sidechain compression. The guitar has some harsh peaks, so knock them down and eq the high end to give it more highs and sparkle.

skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 13:55:53 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for listening and for your thoughtful advice, mcmd. I have posted a new link above after attempting some corrections. I think the overall sound is now fuller, but I may try again, taking your comments into consideration.
    Thanks again,
    LJ
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 14:16:48 (permalink)
    I like it, nice works well here, thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 14:46:44 (permalink)
    Hey Laura, this was really enjoyable!  love the kick and then the build of the instruments!  your doubled vocals that start around 1:02 sound phasey.  that's something that's a personal pet peeve of mine.

at 1:24 when the bass and acoustic are playing hotter your vocals get a little buried.

same at 2:57 (and 3:50) when you're strumming hard on the acoustic, it buries the vocals.

this was really enjoyable, tho!  really liked it!  great performances, great song - just a few mix crits!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 15:47:01 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle!

Thanks very much for your comments - I really appreciate it.

It's also very kind of you to take the trouble to take note of the exact times in the song that you're referring to. It makes it much easier to pinpoint precisely what you mean. Your points are well taken and will help me!

Thanks again,
    LJ

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 20:06:34 (permalink)
    Hi Laura ,

WOW Very Nice
    I like how you can take what starts as a very simple Idea and then all of a sudden as the song starts unfolding you put such an individualized artistic spin and expressive interpretation on it that I'm like hey wait where did all these complex chords come from and I marvel at the fact that it all fits together ever so nicely .
    You are certainly a rare talent and you certainly have the ability to pull a person in once you start singing . 

I listen to a lot of music and Yeah , I'm open to being reached by the music .Often times it may only be a fragment or a phrase that gets through ..When I listen to your music I feel as if everything has gotten through .

Listening to you sing and perform brings me back to a time when I would listen to a vinyl record while looking at the album cover .I also used to enjoy looking at the pics or reading the liner notes .
    There is a part of me that hopes someday that maybe you can put something out there where you get some decent musical exposure so we can get to know you a little better ...
    Anyway , I hope I don't creep you out by what I just said  , I do mean it as a complement ...

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 20:42:45 (permalink)
    Really like this Laura. Darker than some of your other songs perhaps, but full of your usual creativity and style. Tori Amos meets Kurt Weill.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 23:14:25 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    Really like this Laura. Darker than some of your other songs perhaps, but full of your usual creativity and style. Tori Amos meets Kurt Weill.

James this is a wonderful d(i)scription.  The jazz influence is definitely there.  I like both your lyrics and your harmonies which are often complex and keep my interest throughout.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/28 23:35:27 (permalink)
    I like that quirky cabaret style. That's a lot of fun. Wish I could sing sometimes. Nice lyrics too. Good job!
    skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/29 01:02:36 (permalink)
    Hi Wookiee! Sorry I forgot to thank you for your comment before! I answered your comment on SoundCloud but not here. I want to thank you again for always being so kind. It's great to have your support :)
    LJ
    skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/29 01:26:31 (permalink)
    Dear Kenny,
    It's unbelievably nice of you to take the time to write so kindly. The encouragement means more to me than even you may realize. There seems to be so much negativity in the air these days - it does me so much good to hear something so generous. I know my music is very flawed and it's easy to become discouraged. Support like yours brings joy and energy.
    Thank you so much for the wonderful warm message, Kenny,
    LJ

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/30 15:00:39 (permalink)
    Cool song and unique arrangement (as always).

Glad to see you back L (aka sbl)
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/30 15:03:48 (permalink)
    Laura, this is really, really good, and it could be great if only you had some production chops.  I don't want to be a nag, so this is the last time I will broach this subject.  You have such a unique style as a writer as well as a performer.  It breaks my heart to see you literally holding yourself back for lack of production and mixing skills.  There are courses you can take, or if as many prefer to do, you can simply outsource those tasks.  There are many skilled pros on line who will do it for a fee, and probably more than a few here who would help you for free (myself included in that later group).  Okay, end of rant... subject closed!

BTW- Loved the song, especially those verses... that guitar rhythm is staying with me.

skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/30 23:02:00 (permalink)
    jamesg1213: Thanks so much for your kind comments and very flattering comparison (though, of course, I could only wish for 1/100th of the talent of either of them and even that wish could only seem real in a dream ). 

Also thanks very much to you, eph221 - you're always quick to offer support and it was nice of you to back up James' remark (crazy though it was ;) )

LJ

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/07/31 01:46:49 (permalink)
    To polish this would be to ruin it, or at least diminish it. I'd agree to a little reverb on the guitar, and maybe boost the bass a hair.

Quirky stuff in a quirky mix is quirky. Giving it production values like Adele or mainstream stuff would leave what exactly? 

I think in her case, it's her songwriting that's going to make or break things, and I could see a strong niche of listeners developing for her - and they will be put off by too much studio slickness. Just my .02 kroners.

Coronas? Sure, I'll have one.

meanwhile, nice job Mrs. Lampshade. Follow your amusing muse.

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/01 03:24:55 (permalink)
    Wayfarer, thank you very much for your comment!

Thanks E bapu, it's always great to see you too :)
    Charlie H
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/01 13:53:50 (permalink)
    The piano wasn't bad. The drums and guitar however, really need to be done over by someone with some competent playing skills. And sonically, the guitar just sounded odd. The vocal was weird. As though Lisa Pantusso was trying to sing. Lastly, the lyrics had several words where the amount of syllables either forced them together or created awkward pauses. That's the honest truth I'm afraid.
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/01 14:24:32 (permalink)
    skinnybones, your music is so unique.  I have always enjoyed it, and it is good to see you are back at it.

jqs
    skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/01 16:03:40 (permalink)
    Hi philz, Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and offer not only your comments, but also your help! I appreciate it very much and take it very seriously. If I ever find the courage and self-confidence to do as you suggest, I will take you up on your offer with great gratitude.

emeraldsoul, Tom, I appreciate your support more than you know. Your comments are so uplifting and I'm extremely grateful to you for taking the time and trouble to make them! :)

Charlie H, I'm sorry that you disliked it so much. Thank you for listening anyway.

Jesse Screed, I'd like to thank you, too, for being such a constant support and for offering your kind comments. It means a lot!

LJ
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/09 20:09:01 (permalink)
    Yup... we're back at Laura's cabaret.  With a little edge this time around, though still as uniquely you as always.

Mix-wise, the main suggestion I would make is to push the guitar to the side just a little to leave more room in the center for the vocal.  It's not bad the way it is, but the guitar does have some high-end taking up some of that space IMHO.   As said above, just a little polish could help bring it forward as long as the natural grain still shows through. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/10 01:01:29 (permalink)
    Thank you so much, SteveC, for listening, and for offering that very thoughtful and useful advice. What you say sounds perfectly right to me, and echoes what other people on this thread have been telling me in different ways. The more I listen to what people here say, the more I learn (I hope)!

Thank you again,
    LJ

kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/10 07:53:06 (permalink)
    Wow, it's great to be back at the cabaret, nice to see my table is still available. :) You're in fine form here. Your vocals have a warm intimacy with a relaxed but clearly skilled delivery that makes short work of the complex melodies you write. You make it sound so easy and natural and that's a big part of why I like your work so much.  I personally enjoy your guitar and piano playing and the journey through uncharted waters your music always seems to seek out. Love the musical interludes here and there and your little embellishments are quite fun to listen to.

I do agree with philz that with a little practice in learning some mix/mastering skills your music could really soar. For example, the guitar has a number of places where the transients really leap out, and some limiting would go a long way toward getting it to settle into the mix more politely. I also think some judicious use of reverb/delay here and there would help open up things and give us more of a sense of musical space. There's also an opportunity for some careful eq'ing that would add some clarity to parts of the vocal track without diminishing the intimacy of the experience.

Unfortunately, all that work at learning the tools takes away from writing and performing, so there's a balance that can be frustrating at first but the investment will pay off handsomely for you over the longer term.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/11 18:06:43 (permalink)
    Laura
    Once again I'm just blown away by your unique style of musicianship. Always enjoyable.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/11 20:28:58 (permalink)
    I wonder why I've never heard you before.  I love this song from the opening measures. Such a mix of different time periods, it's like being caught in a chrono-synclastic infundibulum. Wonderfully inventive. Are you Kurt Weill's granddaughter? I agree that the piano gets in the way of the vocal. And the guitar spikes too. Otherwise it's perfect! I love it!

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/11 23:33:46 (permalink)
    Laura, you continue to create your own sound which lets your personality come through in the most unique ways.  I really like this song and will come back for more.  Kudos!

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/13 02:43:05 (permalink)
    To kevinwal (Kevin), bjornpdx (Bjorn), mcourter and Lynn:

Your support, advice, and encouragement have made my day. You know how strange it is to put your music out there for people to hear. Often, it seems even worse when nobody even seems to care to listen. 

I always read everything many times through, so your thoughts are emblazoned on my brain by now :)

This week, despite my pitiful production "skills", my album "LeJiT" (my initials are LJT)  came out on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play Music, etc. Go figure! I'm still in shock. It's got 10 tracks, and this is one of them. Wish I'd had time to fix it a bit, though ... it's embarrassing, but I'm still thrilled and very, very nervous to have something actually out there. Yikes! 

Thanks again to all of you!
    LJ

kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/13 04:57:30 (permalink)
    Congratulations on your release! Way to hang it all out there, LJ, here's wishing you much success!

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/13 13:57:43 (permalink)
    Thank you for saying that, Kevin (kevinwal)- you're very generous! :)
    LJ
    skinnybones lampshade
    Re: Waiting for Johnny 2017/08/17 03:03:41 (permalink)
    I would like to add one comment, and that is that I know my stuff is severely lacking, but this is the place that has given me the courage to at least let it be heard by more than one person. Who that one person may be I will leave to your imagination :)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1