Want'n 2 record

Author
blu2nZ
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/06/20 22:57:18 (permalink)

Want'n 2 record

Hi to all,
I'm looking to record on my new computer and was looking for what is needed.With a search I found this forum and I was woundering if I bought this software do I need anything else...i.e. sound card, more ram ( 512 loaded now ) hard drive space
( 200 GB ). I just want to play, layer add effects and burn or be able to send to friends in other state. I know nothing about recording, I have two amps ( Acoustic & Electric ), wah wah pedal, multi effects board, electric and acoustic guitars and mics with XLR connections. And how much is this software?

Thank-x for your n-put

blu2record

1 Reply Related Threads

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Want'n 2 record 2005/06/21 00:21:08 (permalink)
    Hi,

Basically what you will need is a good CPU, 512ram is OK, but 1gig is what you really want. You'll need a software program. You can download 'Audacity' for free and use that. It is very basic, but some people are happy with it. In this forum most people use Guitar Tracks Pro 2 (Which is not that expensive...it's only $99 Australian) or you can use Guitar Tracks Pro 3 which is about $229 Australian. GTP3 is newer, so the price is higher. I bought GTP2 about 3 years ago and it cost me $200 Australian. Anyway, they are two very good options. Alternatives include Sonar and Cubase, but these are a lot more complicated and have way more features (like video editing to audio, midi) that I do not use.

If I were you I would get a sound card. Probably a PCI card would be the best bet for starters. I use a Presonus Firebox myself, but you can get an Audiophile 24/96 for US$99 I think. My Firebox was $650 Australian. I would avoid getting an audigy soundcard. Check out your soundcard options carefully. I spent ages deciding on the Firebox. In the end I got it because it had headphone out, as well as XLR preamps, and because it is external. My advice is to really take some time to investigate soundcards.

You have good HD space. Down the track you could look into getting a slave HD that you would use to capture and store audio, and so your main OS HD can stay free of all the audio tracks you will eventually accumulate.

Microphones...if you want to record acoustic guitars, then I'd get a condenser mic. You can get them for cheap. Obviously you get what you pay for. I used a cheap radio shack dynamic mic upo until a few months ago. I was amazed at the quality of my new condenser mic.

Anyway, hope that helps.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1