Helpful ReplyWaves GTR3.5 what am I missing?

Author
cecelius2
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1494
2012/05/13 18:04:51 (permalink)

Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing?

Yesterday, I downloaded the demo of Waves GTR3.5 (full version, not solo);  I had seen the Neil Citron youtube 5 part series/promo on it and also the Paul Reed Smith's promo on his boutique amps that were used in the making of GTR, and I thought "Wow, I should have this plugin in my toolbox".  However, after downloading the demo and playing with it for several hours, I just did not "get it".  It did not impress me at all.

Now to be honest, I am a big fan of Scuffham Amps S-Gear 2.0 and also of Amplitube 3.7.  I am not a metal guy and I like my amp sims to have some transparency.  I find that I tend to use Amplitube for clean Fender tube type tones and Jazz (AC120) type tones, and for some light saturation or overdriven blues, and that I use Scuffham S-Gear (Duke and Stealer) for more saturated and overdriven sounds (but not really for that Fender clean bell tones).  When I need a really driven cranked distortion I either use Amplitube's Soldano or their Metal pack or even NI's GR4.  I was hoping that Waves GTR3.5 would be a good addition for some transparent blues and slightly overdriven tones.  So I tried it out with both my ES335 and ES175 gibsons and I kept asking myself, "what am I doing wrong?" and "What am I missing?"  The GTR was lack luster and dull --at least compared to S-Gear's Duke and Stealer and compared to Amplitube's Fenders.  I plan on putting a Les Paul and a Strat through the GTR later today, but really feel so disappointed that I need some convincing. 

So, I assume several of you veteran Waves guys have GTR3.5 and that you use it from time to time.  How do you think it compares and what are its strengths?  Before I dismiss it altogether, I wanted to make sure that I hear from some of you as to your opinions on GTR's value and strengths (and if possible how you think it compares to S-Gear and Amplitube).  

So, what do you use GTR for and why?

Thanks for any input.
Cecelius2 

Edited:  So tonight I gave GTR a second "hearing."  This time I used my strat and I admit that it seems to be a little better sounding, at least brighter, but it can be brittle if not harsh to my ears.  After another couple of hours of testing, I think it just does not fit well with my ears/needs. I suspect that this is just a matter of taste and individual preferences.  I really wanted it to be better, and it was a little better with the strat, but it still is just not right for me, and I can get the tones I like from Amplitube's clean tube tones and S-Gear's gentile overdriven Duke.  As they say, however,-- "your mileage may vary".

post edited by cecelius2 - 2012/05/17 04:52:41

karma1959
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 515
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2012/05/14 08:19:07 (permalink)
Hi,
I have GTR3.5, but hadn't used it in quite a while given I went 64 bit with my entire workstation and couldn't get it to work until the latest v9 release with official 64 bit support.  Like you, I'm not a metal guy, I tend to prefer vintage sounding rock tones - the classic Les Paul or Strat through a Plexi. 

When I purchased GTR3.5 a while ago, I tried all the amp sims on the market and felt GTR3.5 was the most flexible and realistic, although it took tweaking.  The Neil Citron amps were a bit better and required less tweaking IMO.  Admittedly, I've never found any amp sim that I like as much as recording my amp with a mic, however I use amp sims as a quick alternative - something which I can lay down scratch tracks with, to work out solos, listen parts back to, etc.  Once I've worked everything out, I then typically record the part with my regular guitar amps.  To me, GTR sounded more realistic than Revalver and Amplitude and others on the market at the time.  GTR also had a great suite of effects included. 

Some other amp sims have come on the market in the last year or so which may be worth checking out if you're still searching, although they're far more limited in terms of options and effects such as vintage amp room & another one (I can't remember the name) which is made by the same engineer who used to work for Marshall and designed their JMP-1 midi box.  All amp sims will tend to do the super heavy tones or super super clean tones fairly well, but I think the real test is whether they can emulate the less overdriven, more organic warm sounds of a mildly distorted Plexi ,etc.

Hope that helps.
Russ
post edited by karma1959 - 2012/05/14 08:27:07

Sonar Platinum x64 on Win10 64, Dell T7400 w/ 8 Xeon cores, 8 Gbyte RAM, 3 hard drives, RME Fireface UFX, UAD-1, Mackie Control, Adam A7X
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2012/05/14 11:16:14 (permalink)
I like the "rack" system in GTR and use it alongside other emulators and just any ol track that needs some "stompage".  It's really just another flavor.  I also like the fact that it has some "boutique" amps and not just the same ol Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Vox stuff...Amp3 has that covered.  I also agree about Mike Scuffham's stuff.  Just great.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2012/05/14 12:07:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/08/08 00:32:26
I own quite a few of them amp sims - POD Farm, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, S-Gear, Eleven, Waves GTR, Amp Designer - and I must say that Scuffham is is in a class of its own, really.

All the others are interchangeable, each w/ its own weaknesses and strengths - which is why I own that many. W/ that in mind, I like the simplicity of GTR's design - in terms of functionality, its my favorite.

I think of it a bit like a preset bank - it's not as tweakable as Guitar Rig or Amplitube but, OTOH, it's harder to make it sound bad. That being said, it doesn't work on everything. I dig it for cleaner or driven tone, but nothing too heavy.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
cecelius2
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2012/05/14 18:11:12 (permalink)
Thank you guys for the needed helpful feedback.  I played with it yet again and know that I "should" like it for all the reasons you guys spell out.  It has the Citron and PRS boutique amps, it has a great and simple layout, and it provides a different flavor/color in the musical spectrum.  Your feedback here helps me not to dismiss it altogether.   

It occurs to me that I have only been playing with the standalone version and comparing it side by side with Amplitube and S-Gear.  It seems to lack the "out-of-the-box" wow/shine and fullness that other sims have; this may have to do with its high gain or its reverb.  Given that GTR sounds more bright and "brittle" to my "vintage" (aging) ears, perhaps it will sound better in a mix; perhaps it cuts through better in a mix.  I have just been trying out the presets but realize that I need to just try building some of my own with it.  At first I even thought I had a blown monitor speaker, then realized it was the preset gain/volume settings (something which others have noted).  I will certainly need to tweak the eq some more based upon what I have heard and also have read from you and others.  

My next attempt in this demo period will be to demo it in a mix, to replace an Amplitube patch with it, and play with the dials and knobs and see if it does in fact shine through and give what it is promoted to do.  I figure it has such high praise, great pro endorsements and it is by the Waves people that it just must be really good.

Again, thanks for posting your thoughts.  This does help me in my purchase evaluation of GTR.  I still have 4 more days in the demo and I will not give up yet; I really want to give it a fair hearing.

Cecelius2

post edited by cecelius2 - 2012/05/14 20:49:14

cecelius2
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2012/05/14 20:53:30 (permalink)
yorolpal

I like the "rack" system in GTR and use it alongside other emulators and just any ol track that needs some "stompage".  
Yeah.  The rack systen in GTR is the way I think a rack should function.  You can put the amp at any point in the chain, before, in the midst, after.  This is a great feature.  Thanks for you insight.

cecelius2
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2012/05/14 20:57:08 (permalink)
karma1959

Hi,
I have GTR3.5, but hadn't used it in quite a while given I went 64 bit with my entire workstation and couldn't get it to work until the latest v9 release with official 64 bit support.  Like you, I'm not a metal guy, I tend to prefer vintage sounding rock tones - the classic Les Paul or Strat through a Plexi. 

When I purchased GTR3.5 a while ago, I tried all the amp sims on the market and felt GTR3.5 was the most flexible and realistic, although it took tweaking.  The Neil Citron amps were a bit better and required less tweaking IMO.  
Russ
Russ:  I agree with you about the Plexi and Neil Citron amps.  I am hoping that I can get these particular sims in GTR to have that transparency and still have the overdriven tone. 

cecelius2
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2012/05/14 21:05:24 (permalink)
Rain

I own quite a few of them amp sims - POD Farm, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, S-Gear, Eleven, Waves GTR, Amp Designer - and I must say that Scuffham is is in a class of its own, really.

..... That being said, it doesn't work on everything. I dig it for cleaner or driven tone, but nothing too heavy. 
Rain: Thanks for posting.  I figured you had tried them all!  Actually, however, I have the opposite vibe with GTR and the clean/heavy deal.  My initial impressions are that it does dirty, full own distortion and "heavy" better than it does clean, but my preference for clean is the Fender tube "chime" and I think Amplitube nails this one, but they are liscenced for the Fender tone.  Scuffham nails the fushion/blues overdriven tone while still having great guitar pickup transparency.  I hope that I will be able to use GTR as another option; the Citron Plexi is advertised to give that type of transparency.  Your posts and those of others are helping me re-evaluate my views and comments.  Thanks.

cecelius2
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2012/05/16 21:29:08 (permalink)
After several days of playing with GTR 3.5 I decided it just was not right for me.  I decided to save the money for a future purchase of their NLS which I think I would use more than the GTR.  

In place of GTR, today I ended up buying some cab impulses from RedWirez for my S-Gear from Scuffham and could not be happier!!!!!  Adding the Roland AC120 and Twin Jensens C12Ns cabs opened up a whole new sound arsenal to my Duke.  Now it is a great Jazz amp in addition to the way cool blues overdrive it already was.  Plus the TweedP12Rs and Deluce REv12k56s cabs are just great for blues.  If anyone is interested, you can buy just one or two cabs and they are very affordable, and they sound absolultely amazing right out of the box.  This is a cool way of expanding the sound pallet of S-Gear.
Sorry Waves, but I promise you will get my money for other plugins soon.

bbgun55
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2017/08/07 23:37:28 (permalink)
Try TH3 i didn't see it mentioned, it may have what you need however it cost more!
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2017/08/08 01:11:12 (permalink)
Isn't it great that we have so much choice. I'm a bit like Rain and many other guys here. I have most of the guitar sims and it can be mind boggling. Each have strengths and weaknesses and you may end up finding just a few sounds on each sim that work for you. Or you might have only one that does everything you need.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2017/08/08 03:39:23 (permalink)
Every now and then I will go around in circles for ages in Guitar Rig, TH3 and Amplitube, trying to get a good sound and failing. And then I'll remember I have GTR and boom, it sounds great. I actually like the sound of it for cleanish tones.

However, I mainly use it for amplifying synths. I don't know why but it's just great for that. Just stick it on a synth withthe default setting and it adds some subtle grit that doesn't sound too dirty like I find when putting synths through other amps. And it's great for getting a quick and easy stereo sound.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2017/08/08 12:49:47 (permalink)
Some of the things in this article (by Anderton) can be a big help using any amp sim.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/-seven-steps-to-amp-sim-goodness/23054

I have AT4, GTR3.5, GR5. Ampire, Nomad Factory Rock Amp Legends, etc.  At different times I favor different sims.  Sometimes I don't like any of them, so I DI my Laney IRT Studio into one of them for cab/mic/fx.

IOW, I haven't found anything that works for me 100% of the time.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re:Waves GTR3.5 what am I missing? 2017/08/08 21:11:19 (permalink)
TH3 sounds OK as well...

Has anybody tried the Universal Audio Guitar Amp Sims.

http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/guitar-bass.html

I'm no guitarist however I reckon one of these plug-ins will add life to your dry guitar tracks.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1