Waves NLS again....just need some clarification.

Author
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
2017/08/01 21:38:24 (permalink)

Waves NLS again....just need some clarification.

So I've been using this for about half a week whilst in demo mode. I've read the manual and it really comes across to me like the person who wrote the manual couldn't be bothered explaining things more succinctly. I know the functions are limited and it should be easy to understand. 

So the Channel versions are track inline and can be linked to a VCA buss (essentially an aux buss). If there is no actual sonic benefit to the buss, it just seems a bit of a waste of time to me. The last project I did, used something like 7 channel and one buss which was used to bind the overall sound.

I really need to experiment with this without a full project so I can get my had around it's principals. Who else uses this and how & what features do use. Like channel gain, noise etc.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta

8 Replies Related Threads

Eddie TX
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: Waves NLS again....just need some clarification. 2017/08/01 22:39:55 (permalink)
    The Buss plugin does model the summing bus part of the desk, so it's part of the overall sonic package. Each VCA group, controlled from the Buss plugin, controls the Channel plugins assigned to that group. The VCA groups do not add any coloration on their own; they just provide an easy way to change the Channel settings within a group.

The main point is that the large controls along the top of the Buss plugin affect the overall sound of the mix, while the smaller VCA controls affect the sound of the individual tracks assigned to that VCA, as if you were changing the settings of each Channel plugin in the group.

There are no specific rules on the use of the Drive or Noise controls, so it's always good to set them according to your track's levels and the amount of coloration you want. Although, I'd say it's best not to overload the plugins -- they sound better to me when the meters aren't moving too much, say up to -8dB or so.

The simplest way to use NLS is to insert a Channel plugin on each individual track (using a different console channel preset for each) and one Buss plugin on the Master track, leaving all Channels assigned to the default "Grp1" group. Then you have just one VCA Group to worry about. I usually put NLS as the first insert and use the output faders to help with gain staging.

Once you get used to using it that way, you can experiment further by assigning all Drum tracks to a Drum VCA, Keys to their own VCA, etc. Then you can go nuts trying various Desks and Drive levels within each group. :-) You don't have to add more Buss plugins for each group, since you can control all of them (up to 8) from the main Master Buss plugin. 

As an aside, I was demoing the new UAD SSL channel strip recently and comparing it to the Waves equivalent. While the UAD clearly sounded better to me than Waves by itself, adding NLS to each channel (on the "Spike" setting, naturally) closed the gap considerably. I'd say Waves SSL + NLS is a great combo -- I still think UAD wins, but not by much. I preferred the Waves combo over the new Brainworx SSL console as well. YMMV.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
    The future exists in all directions.
    interpolated
    Re: Waves NLS again....just need some clarification. 2017/08/01 23:00:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Eddie. I used a buss plug-in to drive a premaster and used a gate to chop off any noise that may be in the lower regions. Typically I use that region for the the quieter sounds like reverb and delay tails.

UAD to me have always been consistent. Their Moog Filter is one of the best filters I've heard in software form to date. EMT 140 is my go to Plate reverb however I really need to update my hardware, so I can take advantage of more of the plug-ins and make better use of them at the same time (extreme lack of DSP here).

Brainworx do some good plugs as well. The SPL transient designer plus and Deverb combined are good for shaping and reducing ambient tails. It's going for a song right now, so I might get the Waves NLS. 

I have computer stuff.

cclarry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Waves NLS again....just need some clarification. 2017/08/02 10:36:46 (permalink)
    For those who don't have it

$22.90 with code CK901 at EveryPlugin

http://everyplugin.com/nls-non-linear-summer.html

interpolated
    Re: Waves NLS again....just need some clarification. 2017/08/02 12:56:19 (permalink)
    Cool. Cheers Larry.

Just re-read your message Eddie as I was tired when I read that and it never made as much sense as it should have. So essentially you are saying by combining the other SSL emulatons along with NLS will give a more "console" sound than using than without it.

I'm just wondering when to apply each channel setting in a project now, mid project or just for "summing the mix".

It's a challenge however I am will to learn.

I have computer stuff.

Eddie TX
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1104
    Re: Waves NLS again....just need some clarification. 2017/08/02 17:29:20 (permalink)
    interpolated
    Just re-read your message Eddie as I was tired when I read that and it never made as much sense as it should have. So essentially you are saying by combining the other SSL emulatons along with NLS will give a more "console" sound than using than without it.

Not necessarily. I mentioned the SSL emulations only to point out that to my ears, NLS enhanced the sound of the Waves SSL plugin to the point where it was quite competitive with the best out there. I didn't try NLS with the other SSL plugins like UAD or Brainworx -- this may or may not be sonically beneficial. Also, NLS by itself is certainly capable of giving you a "console sound" without additional console-style plugins.

interpolated  
    I'm just wondering when to apply each channel setting in a project now, mid project or just for "summing the mix".

Best to set up NLS before you start mixing. Inserting it mid-project may just confuse things. I should also reiterate that NLS does not actually do any "summing" of your tracks. That's still handled by your DAW. When you route tracks to a Master (or group) Bus track that has an NLS Buss plugin on it, the audio is already mixed by the time it hits the plug. The plug merely emulates the sonic coloration of the console's bus section.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
    The future exists in all directions.
    interpolated
    Re: Waves NLS again....just need some clarification. 2017/08/02 19:02:01 (permalink)
    It's an emulation after all so I don't expect it to sound like studio hardware. However thinking back to other mixes I done in the past and some that came from Fruity Loops, Reasons, they seem to have that signature sound which was digitally precise. However I have never tried Reasons since they pimped the mixer and added VST goodies.

I have computer stuff.

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Waves NLS again....just need some clarification. 2017/08/02 20:32:29 (permalink)
    Eddie TX
    Best to set up NLS before you start mixing. Inserting it mid-project may just confuse things. I should also reiterate that NLS does not actually do any "summing" of your tracks. That's still handled by your DAW. When you route tracks to a Master (or group) Bus track that has an NLS Buss plugin on it, the audio is already mixed by the time it hits the plug. The plug merely emulates the sonic coloration of the console's bus section.

This is absolutely true. I added NLS to a current project and I ended up remixing the whole thing. EQ was different, compression was way different. It makes a noticeable difference as you build up the tracks.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    interpolated
    Re: Waves NLS again....just need some clarification. 2017/08/02 21:27:05 (permalink)
    Cool guys.

I'm revising yet another old track, using the C-Weighted Pink Noise technique to bring balance between my tracks. Firstly I don't have a treated studio, so this is necessary for me to get the mix goal a bit more on the ball before I start using compressors, eq and other phase altering effects like delay and reverb.

Since this track is supposed to be ambient electronica, no booming 4/4 kick on this and plenty pads and what not. It should be pretty dynamic and easier to mix.  So basically I should concentrate on building up an analogue emulation as I go. 

I'm just listening to your soundcloud Dan. Your track Revenge has a bit of modern Floyd influence. Some really good music there, Dan. 

I have computer stuff.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1