Helpful ReplyWaves NLS usage

Author
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
2017/07/05 00:51:36 (permalink)

Waves NLS usage

I've been using Waves' plugins for years and really started to get the kind of mixes I wanted when I spent a lot of time practicing with the SSL collection (thanks markno999). I recently picked up the NLS and I need some advice from someone here who is familiar with it. 

• Based on my reading, it appears that freezing tracks will prevent the NLS from functioning as designed since the summing needs to take place in real-time. Am I correct in this understanding?
  • if a project is too big to handle an NLS channel on every track, is the recommended workflow to mix to stems and then mix the stems into the NLS?
  • How does the use of other channel strips (like the SSL or Redd) affect the setup and usage of NLS?

At this point, I'm not certain I will go down this particular rabbit hole, but I picked it up cheap and now I'm curious. 

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 01:26:50 (permalink)
You can certainly freeze the tracks that have NLS channel plugs on them. The Buss plugs don't actually do any summing; the buss signal is already summed by your DAW before it hits the plug.

If freezing channels, you would just lose the grouping function which lets you change the channel plugs' settings from the buss GUI.

The "magic" comes from having 32 separate console channels modeled for each desk. They claim that it's the tiny differences in each channel's sound that gives you the feel of a real console. Just be sure each channel plug is set to a different channel before freezing and you'll have the full effect.

The only caveat I would add is that the sonic changes aren't nearly as subtle as other console emus like VCC. I always leave the Drive at 0 unless I'm going for a specific grungy sound. And on some material NLS just doesn't sound very good and I turn it off.

There's no problem using additional channel strips like SSL along with NLS, as long as you like the sound. 

Cheers,
Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
dcumpian
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 10:54:05 (permalink)
So then, at the end of the day, it isn't much different than a coloration/saturation plugin and the way tracks get summed is not changed from the underlying DAW's internal processes?

That's a bit of a letdown after reading the marketing hype...

Regards,
Dan

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 15:18:55 (permalink)
In order for it to do a replacement summing engine you'd have to put transmitters on every track and a receiver on a bus with no other inputs.  It's what I thought NLS did, but after seeing some posts and getting a trial version, it doesn't actually do that kind of bus replacement.  All it does is "color", even though it appears to have the "parts" it doesn't work that way.  Just glad I did the trial.

-Matt

dcumpian
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 15:20:32 (permalink)
I'm just glad I only paid $29 for it. I'd be pissed if I shelled out $250.

Dan

My music:
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 15:54:02 (permalink)
NLS has its benefits, and for some Pro's, the idea is to deploy it across your DAW up to 32 channels. NLS should iterate the modeled channel correctly from each mixer that was modeled. The idea is not really try and color the sound, but just the very subtle character the modules give each channel or how it handles transients (sometimes better than an EQ), when mixed together should give you a better idea of what they do. Using the buss module probably doesn't really do much for you.

With all that said, there's some good things the NLS can do that some plug-ins can't. Like, for example, try the Spike Stent SSL Channel 29 on a distorted guitar. There's something edgy-but-good about that channel. Try the Mike Hedges Channel 2 on a kick drum with the Gain up 75% and see how the kick drum low-end is affected. I like trying different channels on different sources if I think it does something good to them. Otherwise, I just leave NLS out. I'm not a fan of just putting it in on all channels to mimic an entire console. I think many high-end recordings are finding less and less console time and more in-the-box time these days. People's ears will forget.

Still, it's totally worth $29. I paid $99 when I bought in.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 16:27:10 (permalink)
Dan,

In many cases I will put NLS or Slate VCC on a group/bus rather than individual tracks (like all rhythm guitars, or amped and DI Bass for example).   The result is similar to putting it on individual tracks,  uses less resources and doesn't impact freezing.  Neither the VCC or NLS are very resource heavy at the end of the day.    As a rule of thumb, put the console emulation last on a group/bus or individual track, and first on your Master Bus.

I know NLS is promoted as, "each channel having a unique character" but good luck hearing that in a mix or figuring out which instrument is going to sound best on an individual channel.   Personally, I reach for Slate VCC 9 times out of 10 over Waves NLS.   It is more transparent and I like what it does to the overall sound.   Very important, if you are using them, to mix through them from the start of the project as they will affect EQ and placement in the mix.

Here is a video below  that has some relevant information about Console Emulation (VCC) in this case.  The basic fundamentals are the same as NLS, however, I like this video because it also includes using Buss Compression in conjunction with Console Emulation.   Very important, IMHO, to use both bus compression because NLS or VCC will not give you a magical mix alone.  Look for your mixing skills and buss compression to give you the punch and bottom end and NLS to give you some seasoning over mix with the introduction of harmonics/distortion.  This video below illustrates this point.  

As a side-note, I would use the SSL Buss Compressor over the Slate plugs most of the time, except the Slate FG-Red does a great job on rock guitars  Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAcg3q2DF-g

Regards

dcumpian
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 16:55:12 (permalink)
brconflict
NLS has its benefits, and for some Pro's, the idea is to deploy it across your DAW up to 32 channels. NLS should iterate the modeled channel correctly from each mixer that was modeled. The idea is not really try and color the sound, but just the very subtle character the modules give each channel or how it handles transients (sometimes better than an EQ), when mixed together should give you a better idea of what they do. Using the buss module probably doesn't really do much for you.

With all that said, there's some good things the NLS can do that some plug-ins can't. Like, for example, try the Spike Stent SSL Channel 29 on a distorted guitar. There's something edgy-but-good about that channel. Try the Mike Hedges Channel 2 on a kick drum with the Gain up 75% and see how the kick drum low-end is affected. I like trying different channels on different sources if I think it does something good to them. Otherwise, I just leave NLS out. I'm not a fan of just putting it in on all channels to mimic an entire console. I think many high-end recordings are finding less and less console time and more in-the-box time these days. People's ears will forget.

Still, it's totally worth $29. I paid $99 when I bought in.

I still plan to experiment with it. At the moment, I'm debating with myself on trying it out on an "almost done" mix, knowing that I'll likely end up having to remix a bunch of stuff, if only to adjust the gain into the NLS. I really should have mixed into it and decided whether or not I liked it, but I totally forgot about it until I was already way down the road.

Thanks for the feedback. The hopeful meter filled back up a bit...

Regards,
Dan

My music:
dcumpian
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 17:05:03 (permalink)
markno999
Dan,

In many cases I will put NLS or Slate VCC on a group/bus rather than individual tracks (like all rhythm guitars, or amped and DI Bass for example).   The result is similar to putting it on individual tracks,  uses less resources and doesn't impact freezing.  Neither the VCC or NLS are very resource heavy at the end of the day.    As a rule of thumb, put the console emulation last on a group/bus or individual track, and first on your Master Bus.

I know NLS is promoted as, "each channel having a unique character" but good luck hearing that in a mix or figuring out which instrument is going to sound best on an individual channel.   Personally, I reach for Slate VCC 9 times out of 10 over Waves NLS.   It is more transparent and I like what it does to the overall sound.   Very important, if you are using them, to mix through them from the start of the project as they will affect EQ and placement in the mix.

Here is a video below  that has some relevant information about Console Emulation (VCC) in this case.  The basic fundamentals are the same as NLS, however, I like this video because it also includes using Buss Compression in conjunction with Console Emulation.   Very important, IMHO, to use both bus compression because NLS or VCC will not give you a magical mix alone.  Look for your mixing skills and buss compression to give you the punch and bottom end and NLS to give you some seasoning over mix with the introduction of harmonics/distortion.  This video below illustrates this point.  

As a side-note, I would use the SSL Buss Compressor over the Slate plugs most of the time, except the Slate FG-Red does a great job on rock guitars  Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAcg3q2DF-g

Regards

Thanks Mark. Well, in that case, remixing my current project probably isn't going to happen. I already have too much time invested and I already like the mix I've got. There's always the next one...

I was already aware that VCC/NLS isn't an EQ/compressor, but like Brian mentioned above, it will affect how much EQ/compression is needed. I don't generally compress buses, except for the drum bus and a very light compressor on the master that I like to mix into. And, I agree with you on the other Slate stuff. I bought VMR on a whim a couple of years ago and I've tried to use it several times, only to replace it with the SSL or API stuff. I'm sure that on certain material, the Slate stuff could be useful, but I haven't found any yet.

All of this has also made me curious about the Pro Channel's console emulator. I don't use the PC at all anymore, but I'm wondering if, at least for this purpose, how it compares...

Regards,
Dan

My music:
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 17:29:17 (permalink)
Dan,

You can certainly introduce NLS mid-project, you may just need to pull back some EQ on a few tracks.   Just saying as a general rule I think it is best to start mixing through your project template so you have to mix less.   

Personally, I don't like fiddling with a project mix too long and find starting with a few simple additions to the mix template from the start really cuts down the tweaking, particularly EQ and placement.  For me, those additions are Bus Compression, tape,  and Console Emulation, with a limiter on the Master Buss for reference only.   I find with a lot of tracks, faders up is all the mixing that needs to be done.  

Regards

dcumpian
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/05 17:56:36 (permalink)
markno999
Dan,

You can certainly introduce NLS mid-project, you may just need to pull back some EQ on a few tracks.   Just saying as a general rule I think it is best to start mixing through your project template so you have to mix less.   

Personally, I don't like fiddling with a project mix too long and find starting with a few simple additions to the mix template from the start really cuts down the tweaking, particularly EQ and placement.  For me, those additions are Bus Compression, tape,  and Console Emulation, with a limiter on the Master Buss for reference only.   I find with a lot of tracks, faders up is all the mixing that needs to be done.  

Regards

That's true, particularly with orchestral instruments and many synths. Guitars, bass, and drums though...

Regards,
Dan

My music:
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/06 05:37:52 (permalink)
markno999

that's what I usually do. throw it in midway. which is after tracking is done, when a rough mix exists.

throwing it into an almost final mix didn't do much (or much positive) here as if the mix is almost there, NLS won't contribute, sometimes even color it the odd way ...

throwing it in midway may indeed result in fewer tweaks applied to the mix afterwards (which is also how some of the advertising goes). some of it may be placebo, some of it real. but even placebo can be good if it keeps you from over-tweaking ;-)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
dcumpian
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/06 13:18:10 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
markno999

that's what I usually do. throw it in midway. which is after tracking is done, when a rough mix exists.

throwing it into an almost final mix didn't do much (or much positive) here as if the mix is almost there, NLS won't contribute, sometimes even color it the odd way ...

throwing it in midway may indeed result in fewer tweaks applied to the mix afterwards (which is also how some of the advertising goes). some of it may be placebo, some of it real. but even placebo can be good if it keeps you from over-tweaking ;-)

For my current project, I might experiment with it as a coloration/saturation plugin on a couple of tracks that I think may benefit, particularly snare, kick, bass and a couple of synth tracks that need to stand out better but I don't want to be louder, if you know what I mean...

My next project will definitely start with it so I can see what it is like to mix into it.

Regards,
Dan

My music:
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/08 14:39:14 (permalink)
I really like this thing. Yes, it is not as advertised but I got it for $30 or something and I use it in Logic. But if I was still in Sonar, I am not sure I would have used this over the PC module that does pretty much the same thing. But, I love having a plug like this in my DAW. It's inserted in all my templates now and with me all the way. Good stuff!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/08 14:56:41 (permalink)
I quite like NLS. I was aware of what it does before I bought it, it simply models the characteristics of channels on certain mixers with the convenience of being able to alter a bunch of hem at the same time and using SSL for some tracks, Never for others and so on. I use it with Logic, in Sonar I'd probably just use the PC equivalent.

Like most such processors it's pretty mild in what it does, which isn't surprising given that the desks it models were designed and built with low noise and low distortion as a priority. Using an analogue mixer for summing really does pretty much the same thing - a set of channels each with it's own characteristics and minor differences which are then fed into a master bus which itself has some "imperfections".

As a way of making stuff sound less pristine and "digital" it does it's job, though on a project with few channels it makes little audible difference - which is how it should be, if it had a pronounced effect on audio it wouldn't be acting like a high-end desk does.

As for using it with things like Waves REDD or TG12345, I wouldn't go down that route as those plugins model very different kinds of desks to the more modern ones and have their own characteristic sound "built in". Unless you've a use for emulating a setup where a 50s or 60s console is then plugged into a more modern desk.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/31 12:21:47 (permalink)
I've been dithering whether to turn this demo into a full license. Might consider WUP next year although I'm just building a collection of plug-ins I might use. Some of the post production tools like noise removal are interesting to me, as in the past some vocals have been supplied to me or indeed just some sample content I have been using was too noisy.

When I ran it over my tracks and routed to the corresponding busses (VCA) channels it does something..not sure what. I might need to put an analyser on the master buss to see what it does. I noticed my kick and drums were more punchy and synths probably more than I wanted.

Anyway I was going to ask the question anyway, however found this post before I did.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
dcumpian
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/07/31 12:24:50 (permalink)
I've been experimenting with it and, in moderation, I like what it does. I don't use it on every track in a project, but I generally do on guitars, bass and drums. Things like synths I route to a bus and add NLS there to fatten things up.

Regards,
Dan

My music:
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Waves NLS usage 2017/08/01 13:53:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcumpian 2017/08/01 13:55:45
Dan ,I don't know if this will help, but what i do with my projects is get a level sound with just my faders and save that in Mix Recall as "Raw Original". That way if I decide I want to remix with different plugs to see what differences certain techniques or plugins do, I don't have to start from the "very" beginning.

When i get to a certain point I save again as a new Mix Scene. That way i can go back and try different things without too much trouble.

I love Mix Recall!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1