Helpful ReplyWaves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar

Author
zurc2cruz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2016/07/13 13:13:10 (permalink)

Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar

I had some trouble remembering how to configure Waves Vocal Rider in Sonar X1 X2 X3 Platinum.  After being unable to find the instructions via the site's search tool, I decided to post this to the group as a searchable reference.

From Waves Tech Support.

Here are the basic setting for the Vocal Rider in Sonar.
  • Insert Vocal Rider as the last plug-in on your vocal or vocal group track (make sure that you load it as VST3).
  • Open a new Bus track and send all the instruments tracks to it. 
  • Open a Send from the new Bus track to Vocal Rider mono... 
  • Begin playing your song, then set the Vocal Sensitivity and Attack controls.
  • Set the Target control by moving the transparent screen to the Vocal range peak.
  • The main Rider fader will begin to move automatically, levelling your vocal.
  • Limit the amount of automatic gain change by setting the Range faders.
  • To correlate the vocal level to the instrumental level, adjust Music Sensitivity.
  • Arm your track to Write automation, then press Automation Write in the plugin at any time to send the Vocal Rider Fader to your host application automation edit lane, make your manual edits, and then press Read in plugin and track.
  • Using your ears, find the sweet spot and trim using the output fader. 
    Writing Automation with Vocal Rider
    After setting Vocal Rider according to your program material, follow the steps below.
    Writing Automation
    1. In your DAW, set the vocal track’s automation mode to 'Write' or 'Latch'.
    2. Enable automation for Vocal Rider's main Rider Fader.
    3. Set Vocal Rider’s automation mode to 'Write'.
    4. Hit Play.
    Please note: The Vocal Rider interface window must be open during automation writing. 
    All previously written automation will be lost in Write/Latch modes.

Reading Automation
    1. In your DAW, set the vocal track’s automation mode to 'Read'.
    2. Set Vocal Rider’s automation mode to 'Read'.
    3. Hit Play.
    Editing Rider Fader Automation
    Controlling Vocal Rider Using a Mouse or Control Surface
    1. In your DAW, set the vocal track’s automation mode to 'Touch'.
    3. Hit Play.
    4. Use the main Rider Fader to manually ride as needed. 
    When you release the Rider Fader, it will return to the previously written automation.

Using the main Rider Fader automation line in the track editor
    1. In your DAW, set the vocal track’s automation mode to 'Read'.
    3. Open the Rider Fader automation line in the track editor to manually draw in your edits.
    Jeffiphone
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2016/07/13 14:31:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting that, Zurc. I just bought Vocal Rider and Bass Rider on sale a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to trying them out. Your post helps a lot!

~Jeff

Acer with i7 processer - Sonar Platinum 64bit - Windows 10 64 bit - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) -
    tzzsmk
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2016/07/15 09:56:44 (permalink)
    thanks, I'll bookmark this :)

Core i7-5820K, ASUS X99-S, Kingston 32GB DDR4, EVGA GTX980Ti Classified, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    RME HDSPe AIO, RME Fireface 802, RME Octamic D, Seaboard RISE49, Presonus Eris E8, AKG K240 MKII, DELL U2713HM
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2016/07/16 17:05:28 (permalink)
    I just have a small adjustment to the suggested workflow;
    I create a new bus that is my new "master bus". I will however keep my old master bus as default bus, rename it to "premaster" or "bandmix" or whatever and send it to the new master, then send the new master bus to my outputs.

I will also send my leadvocal (with vocal rider) to the new master bus. This essentially gives me two faders - lead vocal vs bandmix. You can add a send from the bandmix/premaster to the vocal rider side chain input. Additional benefit is that if you add any tracks (parallel compression or even entirely new instruments) they will all automatically go to the (default) bandmix bus and be added to the send to the vocal rider sidechain input.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2016/09/07 00:52:55 (permalink)
    Zurc2cruz,

Great Instructions they worked for me great, but I would like to add, if you are placing your vocal Rider on a Stereo Bus to add the Stereo Vocal Rider Plugin. 

Secondly,  When using a send to add the all music Bus (Sub Mix) to the Vocal Rider FX, use the Send Side Chain as this is how you enable the Music Sensitivity control and light on the vocal Rider. 

Other than those two, it was a great Tutorial.

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Kristianzhe
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/09 23:05:51 (permalink)
    I followed this tutorial. No idea how old this thread are, but if anyone here uses Waves Vocal Rider, it would be great with a few things cleared up.

When I followed these  steps, the "Music" sensitivty button gets active and the green light is active too. So, when that is the case it is working as intended, right? The reason I ask is because on all the tutorials videos I can find (Not any with Sonar), then there are a "Key Input" option with a key symbol at the high/left. Can not see this here in Sonar Platinum.

I guess all is good when the "Music" knob and the green light is active.?.
    Unknowen
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/09 23:41:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kristianzhe 2017/03/09 23:51:55
    if you want it to ducked the music, see image. if you want it to just level your vocals just drop it on your FX box and adjust it as needed. 

Hay look,
    Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
    Kristianzhe
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/09 23:51:50 (permalink)
    Okay, thanks  .

I want the vocals to duck to the music for sure, so then I did it correctly. Nice graphic instruction  .

Both my music senestivity knob and the green light is active when running the vocal rider now.
    Unknowen
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/10 00:14:01 (permalink)
    oh, you want to use V-Rider in stereo mode because the music is in stereo.
    Have a good one! :)

Hay look,
    Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
    Jesse G
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/10 00:17:36 (permalink)
    Kristianzhe
    I followed this tutorial. No idea how old this thread are, but if anyone here uses Waves Vocal Rider, it would be great with a few things cleared up.

When I followed these  steps, the "Music" sensitivty button gets active and the green light is active too. So, when that is the case it is working as intended, right? The reason I ask is because on all the tutorials videos I can find (Not any with Sonar), then there are a "Key Input" option with a key symbol at the high/left. Can not see this here in Sonar Platinum.

The Key on the plugin is for users of Daw's (Pro Tools) that support Side Chaining via the plug in.  Cakewalk doesn't use side chaining that way.  You are suppose to use the sends and select the bus that contains Vocal Rider with the option for side chaining.  Don't just select a Bus, select the Bus that has the long name with Vocal Rider in it.  Look at my previous pic above, there are bus names and below then\m are the plugin names and buses which support side chaining, select the one with Vocal Rider.

Peace,

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Kristianzhe
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/10 00:22:46 (permalink)
    Jesse G
    Kristianzhe

The Key on the plugin is for users of Daw's (Pro Tools) that support Side Chaining via the plug in.  Cakewalk doesn't use side chaining that way.  You are suppose to use the sends and select the bus that contains Vocal Rider with the option for side chaining.  Don't just select a Bus, select the Bus that has the long name with Vocal Rider in it.  Look at my previous pic above, there are bus names and below then\m are the plugin names and buses which support side chaining, select the one with Vocal Rider.

I know what you mean & got it too work. Thanks.

Actually got it too work by following the main post tutorial. Just needed to be sure that I did it correctly. It was actually the key on the plugin that confused me on all the tutorial videos.
    Jesse G
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/10 00:39:48 (permalink)
    Glad it's working for you, now go and get those vocal levels right, ...

Peace,

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/10 11:02:24 (permalink)
    The Vocal Riderr manual is exceptionally well laid out with all the above info easily found.
    For future reference:
    Manuals are all in the Download link on the Home page where you select Manuals/Plugins. All the manuals for every plugin and every bit of hardware are listed alphabetically.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    jerrypettit
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/03/12 16:39:09 (permalink)
    Hmmm...I didn't know that Vocal Rider was supposed to be LAST in the chain.

AFTER the compressor?  

I would have thought the other way around.  Get your levels right first, then compress.
    ZincTrumpet
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re: Waves Vocal Rider VST configuration setup in Sonar 2017/04/29 09:42:57 (permalink)
    Just reviving this thread (very useful thanks OP).

Also, I am having difficulty getting Sonar to "see" anything other than the 32 bit Vocal Rider plugin.
    It wouldn't be so bad but every time I try changing something and rescan it takes about 10 minutes each time only to find that the 64 bit plugin is still not visible.

Is there a specific location that needs to be added to the plugin folders for 64 bit Vocal Rider to be included?

Note that the only locations on my SSD with Vocal Rider.dll in them are:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V9\Vocal Rider.bundle\Contents\Win32
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V9\Vocal Rider.bundle\Contents\Win64

and I have C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V9 in my scan options which should pick up both although to my mind there should be an equivalent folder in C:\Program Files (not the x86 one) with 64 bit plugins but I guess Waves were trying to simplify things.

For that matter I would like to exclude any 32 bit Waves plugins from the scan if that's possible as they are cluttering up all of my plugin menus?

Thanks
    ZT

EDIT: To answer my own post I re-installed Vocal Rider and the 64 bit version showed up. No idea what happened the first time.
    I just wish Waves gave the option of only installing 64 bit plugins. 
    post edited by ZincTrumpet - 2017/04/29 18:04:55
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1