Waves plugin installation?

Author
M@ B
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
2012/11/24 22:48:49 (permalink)

Waves plugin installation?

Hello, i registered and activated the Waves Kramer Master Tape MPX, but it is not showing up in Sonar's fx list. I rescanned the folders, but still don't see it. Is anybody familiar with Waves Version9 plugin installs? Thanks.

23 Replies Related Threads

Linear Phase
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2201
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/24 23:10:07 (permalink)
    Waves defaults to Program Files/Steinberg/Vstplugins... or....  Program Files(x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugin    So..  You may have accidentally installed them in there, while I am quite sure your Vstplugins folder is most likely Program Files/Cakewalk/Vstplugins...

I suggest:  Searching your hard disk, for Vstplugin folders you might not realize you have, and confirming Sonar is aware of all possible Vstplugin folders.

Cheers

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

rtucker55
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2177
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/24 23:27:46 (permalink)
    Hi M@B,

I'm also having the same issue with some Waves plugs. I finally got one of them to show up in Sonar but am still having issues with others.

I sent in a support request but probably won't hear back until Monday. I'm just guessing but there may be a problem with the installers downloading correctly due to the high traffic. I couldn't even log in to my account or the license server tonight.

Kind regards,
    Rick

Hopefully things will slow down and the issues will clear themselves up.

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
    M@ B
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/24 23:30:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Linear Phase. Still getting the hang of the plugin folder/.dll housekeeping thing. Found it in C:/prog files (x86)/waves/ plugins. Added that to the scan list and it's there now. Thanks again.

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 03:59:37 (permalink)
    I ran into problems with my black Friday purchases. I had a corrupted download that wouldn't install anything but indicated it had.

I deleted everything from the machine and ran the V9 downloader again. This time everything worked and the plugs were installed. I ran the plug in manager from sonar and re-scanned, but the waves plugs wouldn't show up. I find that in X2 I have to scan my plug ins and then exit sonar completely. When I returned to sonar the waves plugs were now viewable in the browser. I ran into the same issue with plug ins from two other companies so I think it may be a bug in the way new plug ins are handled. Seems to need a restart to register them.

The waves site was scrambled last night and I suspect people were pulling all nighters to keep up. I got a response from tech support at 7:30 this morning. Pretty good service in my opinion.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    M@ B
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 07:30:00 (permalink)
    Hi rtucker55, sorry for late reply, we both posted at the same time last night. i didnt know you posted. Yeah, Waves' website traffic was making things difficult all day. -- Ampfixer, I did similar things as you did, reinstall Version9 and restarts, but i think my issue was caused by incorrect path for plugin scan. Strange thing is, i had another Waves bundle in the same folder that had been working for months, so apparently that folder was being scanned. So, i dont kno for sure. Like i said above, still getting the hang of this .dll housekeeping. I know i have stuff scattered around and not efficiently kept, but don't want to create a mess trying to clean it up. Have left well enough alone. Learn a little more each time i install a new plug, which isn't very often.

Barczar
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 324
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 10:45:55 (permalink)
    I was able to get mine to show up thanks to this thread, thanks guys. I added x86 folder to my vst list and bam. However, I'm having trouble getting the sidechain to work. I set up a seperate bus for the music but can't find the sidechain input on the Vocal Rider.

i7 930 2.80Ghz processor- 9 gigs tri-channel RAM- (2) 1TB hard drives (7200)-1TB external drive- 24" monitor- Windows 7 (64 bit)- Focusrite Saffire usb 6 audio interface- A pro 500 keyboard controller- Sonar Platinum Professional-Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced - Melodyne Editor-Slate Digital Plugins VCC,VTM,VBC,FG-X,VMR,SSD4- Sound Forge 8- Sony CD architect 5
    Linear Phase
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2201
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 12:52:32 (permalink)
    Barczar

However, I'm having trouble getting the sidechain to work. I set up a seperate bus for the music but can't find the sidechain input on the Vocal Rider. 

Right, set up a new bus, and route a send from a track, to the input on the rider...    Have you tried the next step?   I don't have the V Rider, here is an image with the Sonitus Comp

If its not as simple as that, you have some error, or troubleshooting that must be done with the manual...

Cheers

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

ltb
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2707
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 13:15:44 (permalink)
    Barczar

I was able to get mine to show up thanks to this thread, thanks guys. I added x86 folder to my vst list and bam. However, I'm having trouble getting the sidechain to work. I set up a seperate bus for the music but can't find the sidechain input on the Vocal Rider.

VR needs vst3 for that to work.
    You can use write automation though.
    Barczar
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 324
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 13:23:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestion Linear. I tried that but the side chain from the vocal rider doesn't show up as an option. The compressor sidechain does. Strange.

i7 930 2.80Ghz processor- 9 gigs tri-channel RAM- (2) 1TB hard drives (7200)-1TB external drive- 24" monitor- Windows 7 (64 bit)- Focusrite Saffire usb 6 audio interface- A pro 500 keyboard controller- Sonar Platinum Professional-Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced - Melodyne Editor-Slate Digital Plugins VCC,VTM,VBC,FG-X,VMR,SSD4- Sound Forge 8- Sony CD architect 5
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 13:35:52 (permalink)
    To get my new Waves plugins to be added to SONAR I had to re-scan existing plugins.  If I am correct, the Waves plugins live within a shell and re-scanning the shell causes the new ones to be picked up by the plugins manager.  That's my best guess at what's happening.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 14:49:56 (permalink)
    + 1 to what Mod says.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    rtucker55
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 15:14:56 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

I gave that a try several times, several ways, no go.

I ended up moving my licenses back up to the cloud and uninstalling waves.
    Then I did a search on my system for any traces of waves left behind in folders and deleted them.
    I did a rescan in Sonar to ensure that no waves were left in the vstfx list and closed Sonar.

At that point I ran the woli.exe again and it was like installing waves for the first time. It took awhile but the installer loaded everything.
    When I opened sonar, I have scan on startup enabled, the scan stopped and a dialog box popped up wanting me to run the waves license center. I ran it, moved the licenses from the cloud to the machine and closed license center. The sonar scan completed and everything was there and working.

Probably the long way around the block but it worked. Now I just need to do the same thing on the laptop and all is good again.

OT: was anyone able to use a Waves voucher for the sale items?

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 15:20:54 (permalink)
    >To get my new Waves plugins to be added to SONAR I had to re-scan existing plugins.

That did not work for me (first thing I thought of).

I already had LoAir installed (and recognized by Sonar), but I can't find anything called LoAir.dll or some variation anywhere.  What's the deal with how Waves is installed anyway?  Is there some way I can verify the software actually installed? 

I put all my 64 bit plug-ins under /Program Files/VST/Vendor-name.  There's some kind of shell dll under /Program Files/VST/Waves, but I have no idea what it's supposed to be, nor did I notice if it changed size with the install of the new stuff.

Any suggestions?  Does uninstall work for Waves stuff?  I have no aversion to doing an uninstall/reinstall if that works.  Earlier in this thread ampfixer mentioned it worked for him (or her?), but I'm not sure what was meant by "deleted everything from the machine".

Thanks.
    post edited by dmbaer - 2012/11/25 15:22:39
    rtucker55
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 15:48:44 (permalink)
    @dmbaer

after you uninstall waves there are some folders that it leaves on your machine. I did a search for waves and found the folders, about 5 of them, and deleted them before I did the reinstall.

See my post right above yours.

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/25 15:58:23 (permalink)
    dmbaer

I put all my 64 bit plug-ins under /Program Files/VST/Vendor-name.  There's some kind of shell dll under /Program Files/VST/Waves, but I have no idea what it's supposed to be, nor did I notice if it changed size with the install of the new stuff.

The actual plug-ins won't be in your VST folder, just the Waves shell, which allows you to load Waves plug-ins as VST. I'm not on PC, but on my Mac, I have an application folder in which all the actual Waves plug-ins reside (in a subfolder called Waves plug-ins) and then a Waves shell in my Audio Units folder, another one in my VST folder, another one in my RTAS folder, etc.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/26 00:14:44 (permalink)
    I find it interesting that so many people had issues with plug in installation. X2 seems to require me to do a complete scan and include previously installed plugs and then exit X2. When sonar restarts everything's there. It never used to be this clunky, did it?

At any rate, waves is installed and that CL-76 "Bluey" is rocking the Eco drums I snagged. On cyber Monday I will be blocking all e-store's in my browser. My daughter will need college money in a couple years. 

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/26 12:28:28 (permalink)
    I did an uninstall/reinstall and the plug-ins showed up.  I did not do the rigorous search-and-destroy described by rtucker55, although I thank rtucker55 for reminding me to move the licenses back to the cloud first.

But I wasn't out of the woods yet.  I wanted to check that would all come up as authorized.  So I fired up X2 and loaded one, deleted it to load another, and X2 froze and would not restart without a reboot.  Rebooted, same behavior.  Rebooted to see if I could identify a pattern and this time everything worked.  Unsettling!  It now all works, but who knows why or if the behavior will return at some point.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/26 19:48:21 (permalink)
    My utmost sympathies to us Wave's victims.  Waves has always behaved quirkily for me and my comp expertise is strained to the limits with Waves.

Currently, I'm pretty scared to upgrade or add anything from my older installation (which barely functions with J-Bridge)

CyberMonday ... the Wave's site has been crashing (for me) ... as I re-thought options.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2012/11/27 00:33:38 (permalink)
    Dave Modisette
    Mod Bod

To get my new Waves plugins to be added to SONAR I had to re-scan existing plugins.  If I am correct, the Waves plugins live within a shell and re-scanning the shell causes the new ones to be picked up by the plugins manager.  That's my best guess at what's happening.

That worked for me.  Thanks!  Maserati looks quite interesting...
    subtlearts
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2016/03/22 11:07:53 (permalink)
    I'm in the middle of this hellish process right now. Had a demo of Maserati GRP which I liked and bought (on sale of course) and have since registered the serial, run the Waves Central install&activate process and scanned in Sonar. No go. Running a rescan of existing right now... hopefully that will work. If not, I guess I'll try the full uninstall and reinstall. Not my favorite thing. At all. 

Why should it be this difficult? I like some of their stuff but this is giving me hives. Have to remember this next time they make something seem like a no-brainer. Mental note: it's a brainer. I have to add the cost of lost work time wrestling with the arcane and punitive license and install BS. Argh. 

EDIT: Well, the full uninstall and reinstall seems to have done the trick. However, I will still be a bit warier of them in future. Annoying. Still, they do make some nice-sounding stuff...
    post edited by subtlearts - 2016/03/22 12:06:42

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2016/03/22 15:22:59 (permalink)
    subtlearts
    I'm in the middle of this hellish process right now. Had a demo of Maserati GRP which I liked and bought (on sale of course) and have since registered the serial, run the Waves Central install&activate process and scanned in Sonar. No go. Running a rescan of existing right now... hopefully that will work. If not, I guess I'll try the full uninstall and reinstall. Not my favorite thing. At all. 

Why should it be this difficult? I like some of their stuff but this is giving me hives. Have to remember this next time they make something seem like a no-brainer. Mental note: it's a brainer. I have to add the cost of lost work time wrestling with the arcane and punitive license and install BS. Argh. 

EDIT: Well, the full uninstall and reinstall seems to have done the trick. However, I will still be a bit warier of them in future. Annoying. Still, they do make some nice-sounding stuff...

Yes, if you are "upgrading" from the older installer to Waves Central, uninstalling first is the way to go, but I think it is a good practice to launch Waves Central first and move all of your local licenses to the cloud. Then exit Waves Central and run the old uninstaller.

Worked out fine for me, though it took forever to get all the plugins reinstalled and activated again.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2016/03/22 19:08:13 (permalink)
    They make installation so difficult.  I hate the all in one installer. It's really easy to mess something up.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re:Waves plugin installation? 2016/03/23 08:30:44 (permalink)
    kitekrazy1
    They make installation so difficult.  I hate the all in one installer. It's really easy to mess something up.

It's easier with Waves Central than with the older "all in one" since you can now only install plugins that are in your account and still have licenses available. You no longer have to remember which ones you purchased...

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1