Wavesfactory Trackspacer setup in Sonar Platinum

Author
Jeffiphone
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
2016/08/24 17:26:00 (permalink)

Wavesfactory Trackspacer setup in Sonar Platinum

Hey all,

Just picked up Trackspacer and noticed that I'm not getting the sidechain buttons as shown on the tuts. Nothing for Sonar in the user manual either.

So I'm assuming I have to set it up like a sidechain on a compressor the "old fashioned way"??? The only problem is.....I've never sidechained anything. So can someone provide me with a step by step for setting up this plug?

I'd like to use it mostly to get my wall of guitars out of the way of the vocal. And of course the kick/bass guitar thing too.

Thanks!

~Jeff

Acer with i7 processer - Sonar Platinum 64bit - Windows 10 64 bit - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) -

6 Replies Related Threads

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Wavesfactory Trackspacer setup in Sonar Platinum 2016/08/25 08:34:27 (permalink)
    Simples.  We'll use the kick/bass example since it is the easiest.

1. Add Trackspacer to the FX bin of your bass track.
    2. On the KICK track, add a SEND to Input 2 of the Trackspacer instance you just added.
    Open Trackspacer and start playback of both tracks to adjust the filters other settings. You may have to adjust the KICK SEND level if it is too hot.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Jeffiphone
    Re: Wavesfactory Trackspacer setup in Sonar Platinum 2016/08/25 11:31:47 (permalink)
    dcumpian

2. On the KICK track, add a SEND to Input 2 of the Trackspacer instance you just added.
    Open Trackspacer and start playback of both tracks to adjust the filters other settings. You may have to adjust the KICK SEND level if it is too hot.

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks Dan. I seemed to have figured it out. Well, not quite. One thing I don't quite understand......

Within the "Advanced" window of Trackspacer, there is a button called "Sidechain". When I click that button, I can't hear the affected track (in this case the kick). If I unclick the "sidechain" button, it is audible. I can kinda hear the plug working and do see the visuals, but I have a feeling that this note from the user manual is my problem. Can you please decipher this note in laymans terms for me??

Important Note:
    On most DAWs, setting a channel output to a sidechain bus will cause the audio from that channel to not be audible. In order to hear the audio you must either create a duplicate of the control signal channel with the output routed normally, or enable a master parent send to the master output fader.

Thanks so much.

~Jeff

Acer with i7 processer - Sonar Platinum 64bit - Windows 10 64 bit - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) -
    dcumpian
    Re: Wavesfactory Trackspacer setup in Sonar Platinum 2016/08/25 13:34:11 (permalink)
    Jeffiphone
    dcumpian

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks Dan. I seemed to have figured it out. Well, not quite. One thing I don't quite understand......

Within the "Advanced" window of Trackspacer, there is a button called "Sidechain". When I click that button, I can't hear the affected track (in this case the kick). If I unclick the "sidechain" button, it is audible. I can kinda hear the plug working and do see the visuals, but I have a feeling that this note from the user manual is my problem. Can you please decipher this note in laymans terms for me??

Important Note:
    On most DAWs, setting a channel output to a sidechain bus will cause the audio from that channel to not be audible. In order to hear the audio you must either create a duplicate of the control signal channel with the output routed normally, or enable a master parent send to the master output fader.

Thanks so much.

~Jeff

The sidechain button allows you to hear the incoming sidechained signal. However, if you have both tracks playing, you're not going to be able to tell it apart from the original kick. The note you are asking about is true if you were sending the OUTPUT (instead of a SEND) of the KICK track to Trackspacer.  Since you aren't doing that, you can ignore that note.

If you really want to hear the incoming sidechain signal, you'll have to mute the KICK without muting the SEND. Generally, it is unnecessary. 

Regards,
    Dan

Regards,
    Dan

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Jeffiphone
    Re: Wavesfactory Trackspacer setup in Sonar Platinum 2016/08/25 13:41:36 (permalink)
    Thanks again Dan. Makes sense.

One more thing, since I'm assuming you use Trackspacer (I'm not getting any response from Wavesfactory staff, btw). Since Trackspacer is essentially affecting the EQ of the target track (bass guitar), shouldn't my bass guitar EQ show the result of Trackspacer (i.e. the ducking)? I'm not seeing any effect on my PC EQ for my bass track.

Thanks.

dcumpian
    Re: Wavesfactory Trackspacer setup in Sonar Platinum 2016/08/25 16:43:15 (permalink)
    Jeffiphone

One more thing, since I'm assuming you use Trackspacer (I'm not getting any response from Wavesfactory staff, btw). Since Trackspacer is essentially affecting the EQ of the target track (bass guitar), shouldn't my bass guitar EQ show the result of Trackspacer (i.e. the ducking)? I'm not seeing any effect on my PC EQ for my bass track.

Thanks.

You should, yes. Are you seeing it in Trackspacer itself? Are you sure you are looking at the bass track's EQ?

One thing I'm not sure of is whether PCEQ is fast enough to reflect the ducking. It should be very very brief. It's just enough to let the attack of the kick through so it isn't covered up by the bass. For vocal ducking, it will be much more obvious. If you have it, try using FabFilter EQ to see it.

Regards,
    Dan

My music:
    Jeffiphone
    Re: Wavesfactory Trackspacer setup in Sonar Platinum 2016/08/25 17:14:05 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    Jeffiphone

Thanks.

You should, yes. Are you seeing it in Trackspacer itself? Are you sure you are looking at the bass track's EQ?

One thing I'm not sure of is whether PCEQ is fast enough to reflect the ducking. It should be very very brief. It's just enough to let the attack of the kick through so it isn't covered up by the bass. For vocal ducking, it will be much more obvious. If you have it, try using FabFilter EQ to see it.

Regards,
    Dan

Yeah, I'll check it out tonight on the vocal/guitar ducking.

Thanks for all your help, Dan. Much appreciated.

Take care.

~Jeff

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1