Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now.

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2008/10/13 15:35:19 (permalink)

Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now.

I work at an investment firm.

A friend of mine called the other day and said "Space Cowboy, this is worse than getting a divorce. I lost half of my assets and I am still stuck with my wife".

Now for MM and Susan, I do not think that is funny as I am sensitive. I spend my spare time nursing abandoned kittens to health and teaching abandoned penguins how to swim.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

15 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 16:07:40 (permalink)
    Space you have out done yourself there. That should go down as a classic routine.

Best
    John
    space_cowboy
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:04:18 (permalink)
    John
    Weathering through these last few weeks has been difficult. I need to tickle myself occasionally.

In 94 I had a brief breakfast with Henny Youngman. I ran into him in the elevator at the Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills. He was doing to voice-over for some cartoon called like Rodney Dangerdog or something

If he were alive today, he would be doing that line.
    post edited by space_cowboy - 2008/10/13 18:13:21

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:08:12 (permalink)
    Maurice, you should do like me. I've taken everything out of my portfolio and gone "long" in Plymouth Gin. Literally. In the actual bottles. It's in my garage. Now. Is it 5 o'clock yet?

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:28:30 (permalink)
    I'll be over in a few minutes my ol pal. I am a malt whiskey guy though.

tubeydude
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 904
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:33:26 (permalink)
    Investment firm???

I had you pegged as a NASA type...Guess I was wrong.

Cool tunes by the way. Funny joke too.

P.S. I'm a Maker's Mark guy...and an ambassador...cards and everything.
    post edited by tubeydude - 2008/10/13 18:37:02
    space_cowboy
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:40:58 (permalink)
    Tubey dude
    In my life I have been a missile scientist years ago. I worked at Redstone Arsenal Missile Base for Batelle Labs and then at Texas Instruments Missile and Ordinance division. You know the old saying, behind every successful man is a woman. THey left out N-A-G-G-I-N-G

I was a successful electronics engineer in aerospace. My wife complained about my income, so I moved to oil and gas - designing stuff for finding oil 20,000 feet down under the earth. She went to work for a major commercial real-estate developer and got to know a bunch of rich guys. The complaining increased. I went back and got an MBA and went into investment banking. I have since moved on to a hedge fund (no we are not one of the evil - fast money ones).

I still read physics for fun.
    Anyone who thinks that is nuts should read
    Alice in Quantumland - one of the best lay physics books around
    Anything by Michio Kaku - hyperspace, strings and multiple universes
    If you want to get really hairy, get some of Feynman's stuff - the king of quantum mech.
    Time, astro-physics, Einstein...

But more importantly, I have about 20 different single malts at home. I cannot pick a favorite. I always keep Macallan 18 though.

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:46:59 (permalink)
    Just so long as it's not any of that "Isle of Islay" stuff. Like Laphroiahtiusirhnsijkjgue or whatever. That stuff tastes like Iodine.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:52:18 (permalink)
    No my ol pal, it tastes Peaty
    I learned that on a train from Glasgow to London one night from a 50-60 year old Scott who was a big fan of 1940s sci fi books. Lagavulin. It will put hair on your tongue. Or take it off your chest if you spill it.

There are some wonderful Islays once you overcome the gag reflex.

tubeydude
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:54:41 (permalink)
    Nice.

My background is physics. I love all that reading you suggested. Flatland is also way cool. The User Illusion is also a good one, but not too directly related to physics...

I design and sell vibration isolators. (0.5 Hz, passive units) Pretty niche, but usualy fun and interesting. I read Physics Today, Machine Design and all those industry mags.

18 yr Macallan...can't go wrong with that. It's the yard stick.

I just finished off a 21 yr Balvenie a couple of months ago. WOW

space_cowboy
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 18:59:46 (permalink)
    Yeah Flatland is great. Rudy Rucker has a book out that sort of goes one up on the Flatland thesis, but in sci fi. It is called Spaceland - a Novel of the Fourth Dimension. A Abbott squared I guess. Odd book. Rudy is great though - mathematician and sci-fi writer.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 19:02:48 (permalink)
    Space now everything makes sense. Your bio says it all.

Funny how rich we are in this forum with top notch people.

I also follow astro physics in the form of astronomy. String theory is a long time interest of mine. Though I am more of the observing amateur type. I have always had a love of optics.

Best
    John
    tubeydude
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 19:08:36 (permalink)
    You both do... of course... check astronomy picture of the day don't you???

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

It seems we share some common interests.

I gotta check out spaceland too.

Erik

Zonno
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 999
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 19:20:00 (permalink)
    If marriage is about complying with your wife's expectations........

Well, I wouldn't know about that, I'm divorced.

Cakewalk, Reason 10, KOMPLETE 11, BIAB 2018, Roland OctaCapture, Finale 26, PCR-300, HP ZBook, Guitars 
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 19:23:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I work at an investment firm.

A friend of mine called the other day and said "Space Cowboy, this is worse than getting a divorce. I lost half of my assets and I am still stuck with my wife".

Now for MM and Susan, I do not think that is funny as I am sensitive. I spend my spare time nursing abandoned kittens to health and teaching abandoned penguins how to swim.

Priceless - LMAO!!

As to the books, I recently read George Gamow's Mr Tomkins in Wonderland - this guy was seriously good at describing equations so the average man in the street could get a grasp of it.

As to your single malt collection Space, I do hope you've got a few bottles of the Glenmorangie in there - very moorish in a 'why am I horizontal' kind of way.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

space_cowboy
    RE: Way Off Topic - But socially relevant right now. 2008/10/13 19:25:07 (permalink)
    Since my college band Abacus (where we were supposed to be the first thing in the record rack - even before Abba), where about 1/2 of us were engineering students, I have found that the universe of musicians have either (a) mathematically trained people, or (II) people with an inate understanding of math. Or there was always (3) the classical musicians who were very talented but rarely creative (in my experience - i am sure there are some awesome ones out there).

I am a big fan of the Hubble Site. I have never looked at the Nasa Pick of the day. I go for these oddities

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1