Websites that just vanish

Author
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
2009/02/16 10:47:31 (permalink)

Websites that just vanish

So I decided to visit a site that I use the odd time, it tells you what songs are used in what adverts.. and it's just gone, pity as it was a great site... along with others I'd used over they years like liksang (who do import console games) and softseek who used to be very good for freeware things (thankfully filehippo is very decent)

I guess this is a bit of a rant, but hey it is a big annoyance when there is so much dross on the net that no one wants to see..

e..g. if you type in cakewalk's name wrong in the URL bar you get directed to something that isn't related.

9 Replies Related Threads

jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 12:42:18 (permalink)
    Well, you can probably look up anything from the past via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, at least.

Oh and (at least in Firefox 3.0.6), I was redirected to www.cakewalk.com when I typed the following directly into the Address Bar; zakewalk, xakewalk, vakewalk, bakewalk, aakewalk, sakewalk, dakewalk gakewalk, qakewalk, eakewalk, and rakewalk. Basically the only left hand side letters that didn't redirect me were w, t, and f. WTF is up with that? I know that its not always the first letter that is misspelled, but I'm not going through every combi possible. Try it, you'll be like, WTF, man!?!?
    post edited by jinga8 - 2009/02/16 13:35:28
    Fog
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 13:31:35 (permalink)
    thanks Jinga, never saw that site before.

alas in one case it was down to their ISP chucking a hissy fit.. and the other one was bought out... and the other one didn't like them selling import machines
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 17:21:17 (permalink)
    Yeah Fog its inconsiderate of sites just to vanish like that, I hear it can happen to forum members too, why just the other day I .............................................................................<white noise>
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/02/16 17:22:07
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 18:26:35 (permalink)

Ol' Foggy's also gorn an' lost the web-site where you apply to represent your country in the Winter Olympics too

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 18:28:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jinga8

Well, you can probably look up anything from the past via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, at least.

Ya, the Wayback Machine is an incredible thing it sniffs around every website recording every move for posterity, so in twenty years time we'll be able to find the "Pass the salt? What do you think I am a radio?" joke anytime which is handy if anyone forgets it.

In the future we'll be able to go back to the really old days where you could even go forward via the Wayforward Machine then where will we be? I'm never sure of what day it is anyway without the aid of a website.

So if they record the whole internet every week how do we know what internet we're on? We could all be on a parallel internet where I was gonna say all this anyway because I already did...

I want the old internet back I don't like this new one that may just be a recycled facsimilie of yesterdays news tomorrow.

And besides where do they put all these different archived internets? And is the Wayback Machine recording itself? Will all that nostalgia cause a feedback loop where the howl of memories will drown out any current thought?
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/16 18:35:50

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 18:50:38 (permalink)
    What about this one?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 20:13:08 (permalink)
    Oh no. This is worse than the big red dot.
    Am I in this thread, or the other one?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 20:14:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

What about this one?

Oh no, that must be one of them portals they speak of.

I've noticed that every time I pass through it some seconds have elapsed, therefore I suggest that if anyone goes there it will be some time in the future when they get here.

Hey a silly Coffee House forum and we can manipulate the universe, they'll never believe us.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/16 20:20:17

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Fog
    RE: Websites that just vanish 2009/02/16 20:22:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
    Ol' Foggy's also gorn an' lost the web-site where you apply to represent your country in the Winter Olympics too

it was ..
    http://www.commercialbreaksandbeats.co.uk/

it "was a" very good site, someone asked me about some advert music earlier, so looked.. and saw the host (not the person who made the site) had wiped it..

don't worry I've filled in the forms... I've put myself in for a new event... beer drinking comp.. don't worry I made sure the bar / venue had a telly so I could watch the rest of ya
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1