Wechter Guitars going out of business...

Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2013/06/10 16:02:18 (permalink)

Wechter Guitars going out of business...

This makes me very sad.  Abe Wechter seems to have been doing what I'd consider a great thing...bringing top notch, quality built guitars to the market at very reasonable prices.  Plus bringing interesting and supremely useful pieces (i.e. my Nashville HiStrung) to professionals and hobbyists alike.  Guess they never got enough "brand awareness" for now they are closing down.  Apparently Sweetwater (and I assume others) are blowing their remaining stock out at dirt cheap discounts.  If you've been in the market for a quality acoustic (or solid body electric) I'd encourage you to give em a look. 

I'll miss ya, Abe ol pal.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.

14 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/10 17:51:19 (permalink)
    Not enough brand awareness???  Heck, I've never even heard of them!

Too bad...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/10 18:19:41 (permalink)
    Making stuff by hand in North America is brutal. Banks don't want to loan money for N/A manufacturing companies. Going East seems to be an important part of many successful business plans. You can't compete on price with the Asian builders and most folks make cost the number 1 consideration. I was looking at a little VOX amp head that is similar to one that I build. The price the VOX was selling for, was about the same as the parts cost for my amp. Just a pile of parts vs a cool looking all tube amp. I can't imagine what the actual production cost is. 

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/10 18:49:32 (permalink)
    Like Craig said.

I'd have never known about these guitars if not for the blow out sale over at Sweetwater, which caught my attention for other reasons. Had I read blow out on Wechter, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

But they do look like fine instruments.
    post edited by Rain - 2013/06/10 18:51:07

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    yorolpal
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/10 21:54:11 (permalink)
    They are VERY fine instruments...comparable to, dare I say it, my ol pal Bob Taylor's stuff. Again, if you're in the market for a new high quality piece...check the reviews...and the now severely discounted prices.

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    yorolpal
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/11 18:13:51 (permalink)
    I'm bumping this one just in case there's anyone who might be interested. $329 for a solid Sitka top and solid rosewood back and sides, mahogany necked grand auditorium model...with a case!!!!!! @sweetwater

yorolpal
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/12 19:23:21 (permalink)
    I couldn't resist my own admonitions...I picked up one of the remaining Grand Auditoriums (fer gawd's sake don't tell my wife!!) at Sweetwater.  It was just too good to pass up. 

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/12 22:18:35 (permalink)
    I just got paid, but I could only afford one if that $329 came with a decimal point somewhere in the middle...  *Sigh*

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/13 01:02:06 (permalink)
    My heart goes out to the folks that work at Wechter.
    That's a crushing blow. I hope they land on their feet.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/14 09:13:52 (permalink)

I think if you dig around you can find that Wechter was relying on the benevolence of Sweetwater since the move to Fort Wayne.

I wonder who is going to get the PLEK machine?

yorolpal
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/14 11:12:47 (permalink)
    Yup...it looks like Sweetwater was partnered up with Abe in some sort of fashion.  Don't see too many other sellers of his fine guitars on the interweb.  I wish ol Bob Taylor would buy that Plek machine. 

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/14 11:40:30 (permalink)
    Here's a list of where one can have their guitar plek'd.
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/15 12:06:41 (permalink)
    I'm not sure that the Plek is my cup of tea. My Les Paul was plek'd and I didn't like the feel of it, although, I think the fret wire Gibson uses has a lot to do with it. I find that the frets feel flat across the top, while I like a smooth round crown. Completely personal and very subjective. The good thing is that the factory can ship guitars that are very consistent with a better set up than lesser techs could achieve.

Taylor is already consistently good. At least their acoustics are, I've never played a Taylor electric.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    yorolpal
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/15 12:53:19 (permalink)
    Oh I'm a huge Taylor fan and own a brace (several acoustics and two electrics...a T5 and T3B).  And they are consistently top shelf.  Pricey though.  Abe's stuff is really good but at a very reasonable price point.  Shame more folks didn't discover the value his instruments provided.  I'll say again...anyone who is now considering an acoustic OR a solidbody electric should take a look at Wechter's remaining stock at Sweetwater.  Great guitars at incredible prices.

PS: Got my Grand Auditorium yesterday from FedEx.  Perfect setup, playability, fit and finish...natch.  Plus a beautiful hardshell case.  Solid Sitka top and solid, beautiful rosewood back and sides.  $329. 

Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re: Wechter Guitars going out of business... 2013/06/16 16:49:22 (permalink)
    Hi,

We've become such a strong top ten society, that people don't even know that there are many different things out there ... and all you have to do to be able to see them, is travel a little and see the world, maybe hear something different, maybe see a film from somewhere else, or read a book from someone from somewhere else!

It is indeed sad to see some of this, but in some ways, the whole business, even for folks here, is not about the music ... itself ... or the instrument itself ... it's always about the hit, and the most'est and the greatest, and the best'est ... not something that is highly individualistic and has a special touch and sound ... that only a handful of folks can appreciate.

Sadly ... that's the way of the arts ... there are just as many Carmens that Bapu doesn't give a merde about, too! And I can't blame him. Some of them were down right seedy and ugly mothas!
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2013/06/16 16:52:18

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1