What New Hardware & Audio Interface? Fire Wire vs. USB? Solicitation for Advice...

Author
bugsunplugged
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2015/12/04 19:18:48 (permalink)

What New Hardware & Audio Interface? Fire Wire vs. USB? Solicitation for Advice...

It's been 11 years since I've posted here, I was a little surprised to discover. Other things have kept me occupied, I guess. Long story shortened: I've decided I want to stick w/ Win10 and tombstone the old DAW (described in my signature if I did that part correctly). The plan is to upgrade to Sonar Professional from X3 and move to a NEW audio interface at the same time as buying a new Win10 computer. Oh yeah - I should say up front: I won't go the Mac route. I respect the Mac, but everything else in my life is Windows. I like Win10. I'm stuck and comfortable in this rut, please don't ask me to change.
  • For the interface I'm leaning towards a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, but can be swayed by input here. I think I may ultimately end up regretting NOT having the dedicated extra outputs like I currently have w/ the old M-Audio 10/10 LT - but since MOST of my recording is either just me multi-tracking / songwriting along w/ some more recent live-in-the-studio recording w/ the new trio, maybe I'll be okay w/ the 18I8. At the same time, I'm thinking the Saffire Pro 40 might be nice; I just have reservations about going the fire wire route vs. native USB 2.0. I see where fire wire ought to be faster - but USB seems like it might be more stable in the PC world. Maybe there's another, alternative, similar, solid (at least 6-in+/6-out+) multi-channel interface w/ USB I'm overlooking? I see the Behringers, but they seem VERY new & I've heard uneven accounts of Behringer hardware reliability (not audio interfaces though, I'll admit). Maybe someone here can convince me installing a firewire card is the way to go? Thoughts?
  • For the new DAW, I'm looking at an ASUS Desktop PC M32BF-US011S A10-Series APU I'm seeing on NewEgg for a decent price and thinking down the road apiece to an SSD upgrade. I KNOW my current rig is woefully under-powered, but I mostly record acoustic stuff & SELDOM (if ever anymore) use the virtual instrument plug-in synthesizers. (Also: My last Dell experience made me decide I'm not giving them my business anymore. Prior to that, I used to put together my own machines, but I'm paring back on hobbies & pursuits these days for more time spent enjoying making & hearing music.) Thoughts?
  • I guess I'm trying to keep the overall upgrade outlay under or close to $1K, but I may be able to plead my case for more to spousal unit given I've been a pretty good boy this year, & the new trio is starting to pick up paying gigs fairly regularly.
I didn't mean to stay away from the forum so long. Maybe it's just that back in the days when my interface was a Gadget Labs box (Anybody remember them (w/out clenching their jaw / fists)?), I needed to come here a LOT more often looking for help.

LASTLY: I don't see my signature in the preview - so just in case, here's my current (sad) set-up where the M-Audio is NOT happy running under Win10 (What precipitated much of this): 
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz / 4G RAM / 64 Bit Windows 10 Home / 128G SSD
CakeWalk Sonar X3 / M-Audio Delta 10/10Lt

Sonar Professional / Tascam US 16X08
Win10 / ASUS 81M-C i7-4790 @ 3.60Ghz / 16 GB RAM
240 GB SSD Main drive / 1TB Secondary drive
http://www.bugsunpluggedband.com/

2 Replies Related Threads

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: What New Hardware & Audio Interface? Fire Wire vs. USB? Solicitation for Advice... 2015/12/05 10:21:55 (permalink)
    The Focusrite is a good piece of kit. If your I/O requirements do not include S/PDIF and/or ADAT, the Tascam US-16x08 could be a good alternative. Great mic preamps. 8 mic inputs and 2 inst/line inputs on the front panel, and 6 more line inputs on the back. Phantom power independently switched to mic inputs 1-4 and 5-8. 8 line outputs. Defaults to a mic preamp (direct from mic input to line output) if no USB device connected. Really solid Win10 driver (I'm running at the lowest buffer setting (64) with no pops or crackles). Great price. Currently $100 less than the Focusrite (there's a $50 instant rebate included). Tascam develops the US-NxN drivers in-house, which I like.

http://tascam.com/product/us-16x08/
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US16x08
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett18i8

Edit: I should mention the my round trip latency is reporting under 9 mS!
    post edited by TheMaartian - 2015/12/05 10:34:52

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    bugsunplugged
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: What New Hardware & Audio Interface? Fire Wire vs. USB? Solicitation for Advice... 2015/12/06 09:09:22 (permalink)
    M,
    Thanks! It's true I have no foreseeable need for S/PDIF or ADAT. I have been looking the Tascam US-16x08 over now & YES - I think we have a WIN10 winner! I really appreciate the advice. 

Sonar Professional / Tascam US 16X08
    Win10 / ASUS 81M-C i7-4790 @ 3.60Ghz / 16 GB RAM
    240 GB SSD Main drive / 1TB Secondary drive
    http://www.bugsunpluggedband.com/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1