What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Walt Collins
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1054
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 09:27:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jazzbass12

Waltenstein:
What I ment was the fader control. If I read your post correctly, you had said to adjust you trim (Gain) first then you faders.
So how do you adjust the trim if you have the faders down? Do you adjust all the trims so they so 0?
I might sound ingnorant but, I am just trying to understand the concept.
I have never used the trim controls before.
Thanks

I adjust all the trims so they get close to 0db (usually around -2db or so, give or take) before any processing. A simple way to do this is to turn on the metering options "Show Numeric Peak Values" in addition to "Playback Meter Options -> Peak", and "Playback Meter Options -> Pre Fader", then listen to your whole project end to end. On each track there will be a number over to the right of your M-S-R buttons, indicating the peak level you achieved during playback. Now you can set your trim to offset this and give your WAV the desired nominal level. For example, on track 1 your Numeric Peak Value shows "-8.4", so you'd set your Trim control to "+6.4", giving a net of around -2db.

Note that this is just one way to do things. I'm not saying you can't use the trim controls in other ways. I've just found that if all my track bin effects operate on signals that are basically the same level, they will react uniformly to the tweaks that I make when manipulating them. It also makes using Volume controls more uniform across your tracks if you know you're getting around -2db out of every effects bin. You can go straight down the line and set your levels based on the type of track and your desired output level, rather than having to listen again to figure out how loud the thing was recorded.

Walt Collins - Downtempo & Ambient
Bandcamp: https://waltcollins.bandcamp.com (FREE downloads),  SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/arcanor
blog: "Seeking Enlightenment Through Electronic Music" - http://waltcollins.com/music
I use Ableton, NI, AAS, Arturia, Spectrasonics, Cakewalk, Akai, Yamaha, Fender, Sony, Waves
Windows 10, Tannoy, KRK, dbx DriveRack
kicksville
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 10:37:02 (permalink)
This actually touches on something I've been meaning to address for a while now - gain structure. I'll try to explain some basics of signal flow and gain structure for you, but this also brings up some questions of my own about how Sonar handles certain things. Just for the record, I'm ignoring the 16/24 debate for now because proper gain structure is relative to a given system's available headroom.

In general, signal flow in Sonar emulates flow through a traditional console. Each channel/bus has an input and and output gain adjustment. On most consoles, the input is the first knob on the channel strip, and is usually labeled "Input Trim". Sonar adopted this convention, so that's the Trim slider. Again, on a traditional console, the output level after passing through the channel strip is set using the fader at the bottom (we're ignoring more complicated mix architecture like matrix mixing, etc.). Same thing in Sonar - the Volume control/fader controls the signal's output level, after channel processing.

The standard convention for gain structure is to use your input to set optimum peak levels, and your output to set mix levels. Translated to Sonar, in practice this means that when recording, set your input levels using your preamps (or whatever you're using to get signal into the CPU) and set your monitoring levels using either the faders in Sonar (if you're using input monitoring) or in your hardware's output section. When mixing, the Trim control and clip gain envelopes adjust the signal level before any other processing. The Volume fader adjusts the signal level after it has been processed (EQ, inserted FX).

Here's where it can get complicated and absolute numbers matter. If you have a broad-spectrum input signal that peaks at -3db, and you use the channel EQ (for example) to boost 500Hz by 6db, you will obviously clip the output. There are ways to compensate for this (turning down the input or cutting frequencies instead of boosting for example), but you can see why it's important to leave headroom on a given track. This is also why mastering engineers like to see peaks between -10db and -6db on raw mixes.

Now, when you're sending a bunch of signals from different outputs (channels) to a single input (a bus), you have to pay attention to gain structure here as well - and each subsequent stage, for that matter. This is called summing. Here is a quote from the Midas XL250 manual (one of the industry-standard big-ass monitor consoles):
"When two coherent test signals are summed together the resultant signal is 6db higher than the inputs...this pattern continues thus: 4 inputs give +12, 8 inputs give +18, 16 inputs give +24.... Fortunately, real audio signals are not at all coherent and are either transient...or partially cancel in the summing process due to phase and frequency differences. Music instrument material typically mixes to give a 6 to 9db increase in level when 48 inputs are summed together."
So with that in mind, you can see why it's important to have headroom in your mix process as well as your individual tracks. It doesn't matter whether you're using 16 or 24 bit: two coherent signals, each peaking at -6db, will sum together at 0db, regardless of bit-rate.

The thing to remember is that clipping in an analog console is tolerable (within reason), but clipping at any stage in a digital system is absolutely hideous and has to be avoided. Keeping the proper gain structure set up all the way through the signal path will ensure you won't have serious problems controlling your final mix levels.

Which brings me to my question: does anybody know the internal structure of the buses in Sonar (bit-rate)? According to traditional analog summing laws, I should be adjusting a given bus's input Trim to compensate for the incoming signals. Some consoles (like the Soundcraft K2 and MH4) reduce the gain of their summing amplifiers by 6db to deal with this, so the "input trim" is under the hood, so-to-speak. Protools handles summing by having a 48-bit bus architecture. So, does Sonar pass signals from the channels to their destination at the project's bit rate or at 32-bit floating point? Or what?

Bill, I hope I've been helpful as far as mix/record level management. If you have any questions, let me know.... Thanks in advance to anyone who knows the deal with the bus architecture.....

Conrad St. Clair
www.kicksville.com
patrickhamm
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1177
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 11:00:35 (permalink)
kicksville-

thanks for the lesson! I have learned a lot from your post! even more proof of how excellent this forum can be!
RRabbi
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 923
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 11:18:42 (permalink)
I think he meant -0.3

errrr never mind... it was already addressed... I just didn't read far down enough...
< Message edited by RRabbi -- 3/17/2004 11:49:11 AM >
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 14:50:57 (permalink)
It's done usually via a master limiter on the final output stage. Since the vocals are usually 'out front' in the mix, when the come in, it pushes all other signals back in the mix. It can also be achieved through side-chain limiting/compression.

ORIGINAL: Saxon1066

Here's something I always wanted to know: on commercial rock recordings, I've noticed (I think) that when the vocals come in, the levels of all instruments drop back into the background. Ten, during instrumental passages, like between verses, the instruments come back to the forefront.

How is this achieved? Do the mixers use automation (or in the old days, a steady hand) to drop the instrument levels and raise vocal tracks at the right times? Can you get the same effect by mixing good levels with the vocals in, and using compression to keep the overall song level when vocals are out?

I'll have to deal with this eventually.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
Saxon1066
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 619
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 15:28:54 (permalink)
Several different philosophies here, then, ba_midi: 1) use automation to drop the accompaniment when vocals come in; 2) use master limiter to push rhythm back from vocals; 3) use side-chain limiting/compressing. I guess I'll try them all. I have used #2 on a Roland VS1880 with fair results. Automation is much easier in Sonar, so I'll try #1 also. Proabably a combination is best.

Kicksville: that was very informative, a good short lesson for newbies. I'm pretty confident I know what to do now. Thanks to all you guys.
SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 15:40:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kicksville
Which brings me to my question: does anybody know the internal structure of the buses in Sonar (bit-rate)? According to traditional analog summing laws, I should be adjusting a given bus's input Trim to compensate for the incoming signals. Some consoles (like the Soundcraft K2 and MH4) reduce the gain of their summing amplifiers by 6db to deal with this, so the "input trim" is under the hood, so-to-speak. Protools handles summing by having a 48-bit bus architecture. So, does Sonar pass signals from the channels to their destination at the project's bit rate or at 32-bit floating point? Or what?

Conrad,

I don't know anything about Sonar's internal bus structure, but I'm curious about your statement regarding the Pro Tools 48-bit bus architecture. How does that alone address summing?

Great post BTW.

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
ba_midi
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 16:02:07 (permalink)
I wasn't giving you my philosopy. My philosophy is to get good levels from start to finish, and mix with taste :) (Sometimes easier said than done).

The sound of vocals pushing back the track is common in Radio becuase they use heavy limiting/compression to squeeze signal into the airwaves. However, a good recording shouldn't follow that paradigm or it will just get squashed more.

My 'general' approach is to get decent levels on a per track basis, but also levels which fit the project during recording and mix. What I mean is this:

Let's say you are recording a bunch of tracks - guitars, drums, plugins, whatever. I tend to get levels during the 'record' stage which will already accomodate the final stage (mix). This is not an absolute approach, but a default approach for me. Each track needs its own attention (ie, levels, eq), but overall I feel that the levels set during recording will have an end-result quality. So if you approach everything as "get it as hot as you can", then you can never go back. I don't subscribe to the "get it as hot as you can" paradigm. I think the final sound depends a lot on the input sound. So if something is too hot, it may not be eq'able or compressable to a point where it actually fits in the overal mix of a music project well.

This is HIGHLY subjective stuff - as I'm sure you realize by now. So find what works for you. That's always the best approach.

I do, however, almost always have some sort of limiter or compressor (usually limiter though) on the 'master bus' for a variety of reasons (and speaker protection, grin).

ORIGINAL: Saxon1066

Several different philosophies here, then, ba_midi: 1) use automation to drop the accompaniment when vocals come in; 2) use master limiter to push rhythm back from vocals; 3) use side-chain limiting/compressing. I guess I'll try them all. I have used #2 on a Roland VS1880 with fair results. Automation is much easier in Sonar, so I'll try #1 also. Proabably a combination is best.

Kicksville: that was very informative, a good short lesson for newbies. I'm pretty confident I know what to do now. Thanks to all you guys.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

kicksville
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 20:38:37 (permalink)
Hi Steve,

This is from Digi's website:

"it's worth noting that Pro Tools uses a 48-bit mixing bus, allowing 128 channels to be summed at maximum gain with no clipping at one extreme, and the ability to pull any or all of the channels' faders to lower than -80 dB and still keep the full 24-bit signal in the mix. "

The whole article is here: http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/archive/digizine_february04/techtalk/

It has some great info on bit rate vs. headroom, and is one of the things that made me start wondering about how Sonar handles its buses. The other was moving back and forth between our Midas and Soundcraft consoles at work - the Midas has no reduction at the summing amps, the Soundcraft has a -6db cut. The Midas rationale is good because you actually know where your levels are at all stages, but you also have to pay more attention to the gain structure downstream from your channels than with the Soundcraft method. Either way works, it's just nice to know which method is being used. Same with Sonar - I won't have clipping if I follow procedure, but I would like to know what is going on under the hood

I hope this answers your question, and thanks....

Conrad
www.kicksville.com
ebinary
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 20:45:53 (permalink)
So, does Sonar pass signals from the channels to their destination at the project's bit rate or at 32-bit floating point?

Sonar does all intermediate calculations with 32bit accumulators, so no clipping occurs if you "overdrive"your channels and then reduce the gain prior to the IO device. Well, within 8 additional bits of headroom, that is.

Eric
kicksville
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/17 20:50:24 (permalink)
great - thank you very much. I had a feeling this was the case, but now it's confirmed.....

Conrad
www.kicksville.com
billc
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 09:03:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jazzbass12

Waltenstein:
What I ment was the fader control. If I read your post correctly, you had said to adjust you trim (Gain) first then you faders.
So how do you adjust the trim if you have the faders down? Do you adjust all the trims so they so 0?
I might sound ingnorant but, I am just trying to understand the concept.
I have never used the trim controls before.
Thanks

Before beginning to mix, play back your tracks with all faders pull completely down. One-by-one push each fader to maximum (+10); adjust that tracks trim control so that the playback meter reads your desired setting (-1); pull down that track's fader and move to the next one. When you've completed every track, you can move all faders up to nominal level to hear all tracks played back with equal volume.

Note the trim setting on each one (they'll differ depending on how they were recorded and the sound of the instrument/voice). Trim adjusment allows you to minimize the fader distance between tracks for mixing...making it easier to control (ride) the mix. Also, at higher fader positions fader movement is more precise than coarser movements in the lower positions, i.e., at the high fader position you can make refined adjustments. Volume balancing is a different process, but good volume balancing begins with gain leveling via trim adjustment.
< Message edited by billc -- 3/18/2004 9:07:20 AM >
RRabbi
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 923
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 09:58:05 (permalink)
I just discovered something about my new MOTU 828 MKII... I haven't used it yet, but am getting familiar with the manual. One part says I can toggle between +4 db and -10 db. So In order to leave some headroom in Sonar, I'd assume then I should always record with the setting toggled at -10db? Then I can adjust the gain per track in my MOTU 828, and make sure in Sonar it doesn't exceed -6db's? Does that sound like a plan? :)

Dave
SteveD
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 10:18:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: billc
Before beginning to mix, play back your tracks with all faders pull completely down. One-by-one push each fader to maximum (+10); adjust that tracks trim control so that the playback meter reads your desired setting (-1); pull down that track's fader and move to the next one. When you've completed every track, you can move all faders up to nominal level to hear all tracks played back with equal volume.

Note the trim setting on each one (they'll differ depending on how they were recorded and the sound of the instrument/voice). Trim adjusment allows you to minimize the fader distance between tracks for mixing...making it easier to control (ride) the mix. Also, at higher fader positions fader movement is more precise than coarser movements in the lower positions, i.e., at the high fader position you can make refined adjustments. Volume balancing is a different process, but good volume balancing begins with gain leveling via trim adjustment.

Hey Bill,

Good tip. Thanks.

Looks like you'll be in my neck of the woods in June.

Maybe I'll stop by the Sands to catch the show and say hey.

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
Guitslinger
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1018
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 10:31:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RRabbi

I just discovered something about my new MOTU 828 MKII... I haven't used it yet, but am getting familiar with the manual. One part says I can toggle between +4 db and -10 db. So In order to leave some headroom in Sonar, I'd assume then I should always record with the setting toggled at -10db?

+4 dB and -10dB are measurements of signal strength that determine whether a device is using balanced or unbalanced connections/cables. Most quality processors will also have a switch that allows the selection of one of the two modes. You should always use balanced connections/settings when possible. If you're connecting with an XLR cable the connection is balanced, so choose +4dB. 1/4 connections can also be balanced, but require TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) plugs on the ends of the cables. Regular 1/4 cables are unbalanced due to having only two wires--balanced cables utilize a third wire that cancels noise, which is the main benefit of using balanced connections.

Intel I5-2500K
ASUS P8P67Pro mb
16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
ASUS EN210 silent GPU
Hyper 212+ CPU fan
Fractal Audio midtower case
Corsair TX650 PSU
ASUS blueray optical dr
WD 500gb SATA hard drive x 2
Windows 7 Professional
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
billc
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 10:40:19 (permalink)
Hey Bill,

Good tip. Thanks.

Looks like you'll be in my neck of the woods in June.

Maybe I'll stop by the Sands to catch the show and say hey.

Steve, be sure stop by to say hello if you do make the show.
kicksville
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 10:52:29 (permalink)
The +4/-10 thing is for connecting your 828 to different kinds of equipment. +4dbu is the industry standard for connecting pro-level gear (usually with balanced lines), and -10dbV is for consumer electronics, turntables, and the like (usually unbalanced). For the record, dbu, dbV and db are all different measurements - here's a good explanation of the differences: http://www.jimprice.com/prosound/db.htm

The idea is to make sure everything in your audio chain is referencing the same absolute levels - two pieces of gear connected at +4dbu will show 0db at the same level. If you're using your stereo to listen to your mixes, your 828's outputs should be set to -10dbV; if you're using pro or semi-pro gear, set your 828 to +4dbu. A good rule of thumb is that if the gear in question uses RCA connectors, it should be set to -10dbV. Gear with XLR or TRS connectors is almost always +4dbu. The +4dbu/-10dbV switch is not a way to address mix/record levels. Keep in mind that dbFS is the scale we usually mean around here when we say "you need to keep your levels at -10db" - dbFS refers to digital 0 (decibels Full-Scale) and not to a measurement of voltage (dbu and dbV)....

Conrad
www.kicksville.com
ebinary
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 11:09:09 (permalink)
The +4dbu/-10dbV switch is not a way to address mix/record levels

Everything kicksville says is true, but if your source is at full volume and you are still not getting a strong enough signal from it (meaning you can't hit peaks near -6db and higher in Sonar), you can switch that input to -10. That will effectively boost the analog gain on the input.

Eric
SteveD
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 11:13:52 (permalink)
Keep in mind that dbFS is the scale we usually mean around here when we say "you need to keep your levels at -10db" - dbFS refers to digital 0 (decibels Full-Scale) and not to a measurement of voltage (dbu and dbV)....

Conrad
www.kicksville.com

Last time I checked... A picture was still worth a thousand words...

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
jazzbass12
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 11:20:10 (permalink)
Waltenstein

Waltenstein
Thanks for the info. very informative. Here is what I tried, does this sound correct?:
First I set all my faders to 0. I play the song and monitor my levels- Then I adjust all my trims to a peak of 0.
I figure you need to calibrate the faders first that way you are setting the trims from a flat reference. is this the same theory as "Playback Meter Options -> Pre Fader", ?
kicksville
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 11:30:23 (permalink)
sweet....

Conrad
www.kicksville.com
ba_midi
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/03/18 13:41:58 (permalink)
Not necesssarily.

The gain has to do with the type of inputs you'll be using. I use -10 since I'm using line inputs to the sound card and line outs.

And while I do tend to keep 'individual' tracks around -6, that's not written in stone. I really depends on the signal - and the sound you're looking for.

I think you just have to experiment with what works best for your environment - and of course for the type of music you're doing at the time.

ORIGINAL: RRabbi

I just discovered something about my new MOTU 828 MKII... I haven't used it yet, but am getting familiar with the manual. One part says I can toggle between +4 db and -10 db. So In order to leave some headroom in Sonar, I'd assume then I should always record with the setting toggled at -10db? Then I can adjust the gain per track in my MOTU 828, and make sure in Sonar it doesn't exceed -6db's? Does that sound like a plan? :)

Dave

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

cmusicmaker
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2328
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/08/22 08:00:12 (permalink)

This actually touches on something I've been meaning to address for a while now - gain structure. I'll try to explain some basics of signal flow and gain structure for you, but this also brings up some questions of my own about how Sonar handles certain things. Just for the record, I'm ignoring the 16/24 debate for now because proper gain structure is relative to a given system's available headroom.

In general, signal flow in Sonar emulates flow through a traditional console. Each channel/bus has an input and and output gain adjustment. On most consoles, the input is the first knob on the channel strip, and is usually labeled "Input Trim". Sonar adopted this convention, so that's the Trim slider. Again, on a traditional console, the output level after passing through the channel strip is set using the fader at the bottom (we're ignoring more complicated mix architecture like matrix mixing, etc.). Same thing in Sonar - the Volume control/fader controls the signal's output level, after channel processing.

The standard convention for gain structure is to use your input to set optimum peak levels, and your output to set mix levels. Translated to Sonar, in practice this means that when recording, set your input levels using your preamps (or whatever you're using to get signal into the CPU) and set your monitoring levels using either the faders in Sonar (if you're using input monitoring) or in your hardware's output section. When mixing, the Trim control and clip gain envelopes adjust the signal level before any other processing. The Volume fader adjusts the signal level after it has been processed (EQ, inserted FX).

Here's where it can get complicated and absolute numbers matter. If you have a broad-spectrum input signal that peaks at -3db, and you use the channel EQ (for example) to boost 500Hz by 6db, you will obviously clip the output. There are ways to compensate for this (turning down the input or cutting frequencies instead of boosting for example), but you can see why it's important to leave headroom on a given track. This is also why mastering engineers like to see peaks between -10db and -6db on raw mixes.

Now, when you're sending a bunch of signals from different outputs (channels) to a single input (a bus), you have to pay attention to gain structure here as well - and each subsequent stage, for that matter. This is called summing. Here is a quote from the Midas XL250 manual (one of the industry-standard big-ass monitor consoles):
"When two coherent test signals are summed together the resultant signal is 6db higher than the inputs...this pattern continues thus: 4 inputs give +12, 8 inputs give +18, 16 inputs give +24.... Fortunately, real audio signals are not at all coherent and are either transient...or partially cancel in the summing process due to phase and frequency differences. Music instrument material typically mixes to give a 6 to 9db increase in level when 48 inputs are summed together."
So with that in mind, you can see why it's important to have headroom in your mix process as well as your individual tracks. It doesn't matter whether you're using 16 or 24 bit: two coherent signals, each peaking at -6db, will sum together at 0db, regardless of bit-rate.

The thing to remember is that clipping in an analog console is tolerable (within reason), but clipping at any stage in a digital system is absolutely hideous and has to be avoided. Keeping the proper gain structure set up all the way through the signal path will ensure you won't have serious problems controlling your final mix levels.

Bill, I hope I've been helpful as far as mix/record level management. If you have any questions, let me know.... Thanks in advance to anyone who knows the deal with the bus architecture.....

Conrad St. Clair
www.kicksville.com

What a great thread...it really should be a sticky!
kingjahrome
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/08/22 17:41:59 (permalink)
This is what the forums be all about.
Zlartibartfast
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 820
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/08/22 18:10:00 (permalink)
I have always assumed that PA9's and Sonar's internal bit-rate was 32, and by reckoning that when he meters displayed 0db it was really -3db (got this value by comparing the values between the meters in Sonar to the ones in the Delta control panel). Following these guidlines I do not see clipping in the wave display. I avoid compression in the recordings (except in the case of our kick drum, where we have no choice due to the extreme dynamic differences in our drummer's playing - hey man we love ya'). When we run 16 bit our SNR comes out to a reliable 80 db, and going 24 bit I get about 98 db. Only process in the final mix, and I do the mastering myself (tightwad on a shoestring budget). My normalization level is set to 98.6 db. I may be totally wrong but I'm a dancin' fool.....
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/08/22 18:47:53 (permalink)
I am consistently amazed by three things on these forums:

1. The obsessive, almost panicky compulsion of so many people who clearly are very new to all this to make sure that they know the "correct" technical minutae.

2. the sheer amount of gross misinformation and/or speculative or philisophical opinion that is presented as fact.

2. The patience and generosity of the people who are in the know in their willingness to answer these questions and actually clear up the urgent questions like whether your masters should be at -.03 dB or -.01 on the meters.

If I were going to try and post something constructive to this thread, I would probably say something like (this is me, personally):

a. Sonar has plenty of internal headroom. If you get a good mix and it clips on the main outs occaisionally, just turn down the mains bus in sonar and you should be fine.
b. For best results, get your mixes to sound good and then check the main outs meter and adjust the master fader as necessary to "print" them with peaks somewhere close to, but below, 0dB on the meter.
c. If you are worried about maxing out Sonar's internal headroom because you routinely run all of your tracks deep in the red, then stop doing that.
d. If you really want your CD to match the sound and level of "professional" commercial CDs, send it to a good mastering house once you've got the best mix you can get on your own.

But instead, I think I'll sit this one out.

cheers.
< Message edited by yep -- 8/22/2004 7:46:14 PM >
Zlartibartfast
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 820
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/08/23 00:52:06 (permalink)
I smell something burning, and I don't thiink it's my CDR drive....
mixsit
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 789
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/08/23 03:45:42 (permalink)
Ok, if it's not to late here, can someone check me through this once. (I fear i might just be not connecting a dot somewhere..
billc
before beginning to mix, play back your tracks with all faders pull completely down. One-by-one push each fader to maximum (+10); adjust that tracks trim control so that the playback meter reads your desired setting (-1); pull down that track's fader and move to the next one. When you've completed every track, you can move all faders up to nominal level to hear all tracks played back with equal volume.

Waltenstein Studios
I adjust all the trims so they get close to 0db (usually around -2db or so, give or take) before any processing. A simple way to do this is to turn on the metering options "Show Numeric Peak Values" in addition to "Playback Meter Options -> Peak", and "Playback Meter Options -> Pre Fader", then listen to your whole project end to end. On each track there will be a number over to the right of your M-S-R buttons, indicating the peak level you achieved during playback. Now you can set your trim to offset this and give your WAV the desired nominal level. For example, on track 1 your Numeric Peak Value shows "-8.4", so you'd set your Trim control to "+6.4", giving a net of around -2db.

This set-up step results in your raw mix-tracks all aligned to around -1 or two peak. (?)
If the 'nominal' target on the tracks faders is zero', and depending on the number of tracks (buts lets assume we have a dozen or more), it would seem that you have added an extra step that would cause these to combine at the master in excess of zero.
(As opposed to coming from my admittedly seat of the pants approach and experience..).. if I record most of my tracks at generally conservative levels (let's say loose combination from -18 to -3) and leave the trim at zero, (and again, depending on how many tracks) I'm still apt to have to pull many of them back at the fader for the mix to come in or around the zero range.

Isn't that one of the points of recording at modest A/D levels (building toward some natural system headroom)?
Don't we want to avoid any gain point being outside of zero' that we can? (Just like why we wouldn't arbitrarily normalize' our tracks?)
Wayne
Cato
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/08/23 07:14:49 (permalink)
SteveD,

Good point!!

So can you shed some light on the difefrence of dbRMS versus dbFS.

It can be confusing for a newbie to mixing if you will.

I hear folks say get the recording to about -0.3 db

Then I hear get it to around -3.0

Is this at the mastering stage or what?

Right now most of my recording prior to mastering read from -12 to -6, when I view them in Adobe Aditions 1.5. From here I find myself adjusting so that it ends up as close to -.01 as possible, lately if I get it close -3.0 I stop.

Which is correct?

What am I looking at in Adobe Audition 1.5 rms or fs? I see the number along the side that seem to represent db. But while playing back there is a meter at the bottom that seems to show the recording staying just below -3.0 yet it still sounds full!

My recordings don't sound bad at all but then again I'm listening on a pair of Mackie HR24's. Occaisionally I go back and forth between the headphones and a small pair of multi-media speakers to test how it will sound on various systems.

This same exact conversation is going on in another thread titled Final Mix RMS levels. Is this not the same issue? Help me out with this guys!
spheris
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
RE: What Recording and Mixing Levels preferred? 2004/08/23 08:10:53 (permalink)
Per Track Pre-Mix

1. -27dB Starting Volume -Phase Correct (that means check your MS and correct for problems.

2. Bandwidth not to exceed 20hz-20khz, trim everything under or over that before you start hearing really hideous side effects from DAC correction & bandwidth accumulation.

3. Bit Depth level set to target medium and conformed (usually 16 bit depth for CD otherwise 24 for DVD-A, though only a few dozen houses are set up for it in the states currently)

"Genuine brilliance is a simplified formula - one part egoism, to two parts genius, add a bit of trial and suffering mixed with an optimism towards existentialism..the rest comes with time"

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1